Thread: Favorite Gaming mag?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Favorite Gaming mag?

EGM? Tips & Tricks? Gamepro? NP?

my fav gaming mag would have to be tips & tricks, of course i praise them for haveing 'the collectors closet'
    "hmm, inbred and undead" - Ash J. Williams, Evil Dead: Hail To The King

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Half Japanese
    PSN
    HalfJapanese

My favorite still-going gaming mag is Play. I like the layout and the content better than pretty much any mag out there, as they're generally not afraid to tell it how it is (a while back they silenced the fanboy hordes by stating the fact that most multiplatform games are simply better graphically and audio-wise on the Xbox, controller preference notwithstanding, than their ps2 and GCN counterparts). When they get their hands on a game to do a special feature on, they don't waste your time, but instead write an in-depth article that features tons of useful and interesting information (see: Castlevania issue, last month's Demon Stone issue, etc.). As far as the writing and devotion to the hobby go, there is nothing finer currently in print.

A close runner up would be the UK's GamesTM, which is a fine magazine that offers up some pretty harsh reviews and has one of the thickest mags out every month (featuring a decidedly awesome retro section, with the main focus being on a different system every month). Well worth the $10 you can purchase it for at Barnes & Noble.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Tips & Tricks but I only use like 15% of the magazine. The guides are very helpful, collectors closet is great, japan report is fun, cool stuff, sprts desk, and sometimes there is an intresting tidbut in the final fantasy thing. I like select games and previews also. My fav. game magazine.
    Somebody make me a "CGE 2k7 Attendee banner" so I don't have to use this lame text

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

UK mag Games TM gets a vote from me as well. You really get what you pay for. ( www.paragon.co.uk )

UK magazine Edge is my overall favorite though. It is a bit more serious than Games TM. It is really a hardcore gamer's mag for hardcore gamers with production values second to none. ( www.edge-online.com )

Edge is like a glossier Cineaste to Games TM's Premiere, to EGM's Entertainment Weekly, to Gamepro's People Magazine.

For US magazines I have to say Play or Game Informer as Next Generation is no longer around.

Though lots more expensive British magazines offer so much more for your money. They aren't as advertising driven and offer much more editorial content and higher production values compared with our magazines.

....and no offence MarioAllstar but IMHO a real games magazine doesn't have a tips/codes/solutions section.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Parodius
    Though lots more expensive British magazines offer so much more for your money. They aren't as advertising driven and offer much more editorial content and higher production values compared with our magazines.
    For what it's worth, UK magazines get away with less advertising than US magazines because it's much cheaper to distribute a magazine across an island than a continent.

-- Z.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I occasionally read Tips & Tricks but just for the Collector's Closet/Cool Stuff sections. Other than that, most mags nowadays suck.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    tholly1983
    PSN
    tholly

i know most people probably dont like it, but i like Nintendo Power

i grew up on Nintendo and i am a big fan of the company, so....even if it is a self written mag, i still love hearing nintendo news
    Collection Pics--RFGen List--Excel Collection Spreadsheet
    Wii: 6005 4631 6751 2174 -- PS3: tholly -- X360: tholly1983

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

For me, the best game mag ever.

SEGA SATURN MAGAZINE (UK)

Ran from Nov. 95 to Nov. 98

Diehard enthusiasts writing for diehard Saturn fans. Oh man it was beautiful. These mags (37 in all) are hard and expensive to hunt down as well. I'm just 3 issues away from completion. I won a lot of 29 of them almost one year ago. Freaking cost an arm and leg but if I could do it all over again I would have done the same thing.

Sniped with no time to go!

Long live the SSM gang! Rich Leadbetter we are not worthy!

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

OXM
    DC--- It's STILL thinking....!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

Default Hmmmmmm

I used to dig EGM, till they went to a totally different format The only reason I still collect the dam thing is because I have stuck with it since issue 9. I usually dont mind Game Informer, and for only $1.00 an issue, you cant go wrong. EB's mag is not total crap either, and some of the writers are funny. Tips & Tricks is great, but I really only read the section Joe does. I give it respect though, no other mag in the US is doing what that mag does for collectors!
    Would you like to know more about collecting video games? Check out my extensive Youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/swlovinist

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I work for EB and EB's mag is total crap IMO at least hehe. I love how in the "Is it hot?" section rating looking forward to games EVERY game gets at least 3/5...

I like EGM for the multiple-opinion reviews.

Play I've gotten into more, but honestly I don't like interviews too much, which they REALLY hit heavy. I don't like their review system, but I like their anime section

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My current favorite is Game Informer. Before that, I liked Gamepro, but they aren't what they used to be.

Collection List | Twitter
    Check out the new N64 Rumble Pak. See how it feels to feel what you see.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I subscribe and read almost every gaming magazine (usually through the free subscription deals), but my favorite is:

play

Followed by Game Informer and XBN.

DrJustinRamone gave the best reasons to enjoy play, so I won't even attempt to outdo that. I will add that I think they have the best looking screenshots in the business.

Dpad Junkies - // Get Your Fix //

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Best mag ever is GameFan.....R.I.P.......now I guess EGM :/
    Got it in you?
    www.anipike.com

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by zmweasel
    Quote Originally Posted by Parodius
    For what it's worth, UK magazines get away with less advertising than US magazines because it's much cheaper to distribute a magazine across an island than a continent.

-- Z.
    What? That has nothing to do with it. The business model for UK magazines is set up differently than ours. They get more of their revenue from newsstands and subscription costs whereas our mags get most of their revenue from ads. That is why it is basically free to subscribe to EGM (even to the UK) while Edge will cost you a bit even in the UK.

Think of it as British magazines as premium cable and US magazines as basic cable. You pay more but you get better and more independent content with less advertising.

Now it is nice to pay $20 for 2 years of EGM and not so nice to pay $100 for one year of Edge, but as with most things in life you really get what you pay for.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

Default hmmmmmm

I anyone to question the "Z" should remember that

A. He works in the industry

B. He knows his shit.
    Would you like to know more about collecting video games? Check out my extensive Youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/swlovinist

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Rogmeister's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Doesn't Play have sections on anime and music? Sorry, but for my hard-earned buck, when I buy a game magazine I'd rather the entire magazine be devoted to games and not just a little over half.

I let some subs lapse but may pick up both Game Informer and PSM again since the subs are both pretty cheap. I do like EGM the most though it's taken a bit of time to get used to the new format. GMR is a fun read though they seem to have dropped the Top 50 lists they had in the back. My least favorite? Possibly GamePro. It's a bit kiddie-fied and I prefer a magazine to have actual reviewers who get real credit, not nameless faces hiding behind made-up cartoon characters...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Half Japanese
    PSN
    HalfJapanese

Yes, Play features a fairly small section in the back of the mag for anime, dvds and music, as well as a usually 2-page "gear" section. It's not necessary, but it's still interesting, and I'd much rather read about those than have an obnoxious ass from Prima giving me "hints and tips" about the "hottest games." Also, I may not be all that big on anime, but the crossover for those that both play games and watch anime is probably staggering.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: hmmmmmm

Quote Originally Posted by swlovinist
    I anyone to question the "Z" should remember that

A. He works in the industry

B. He knows his shit.
    Bah,

Remember GameFan? or Gamer's Republic? or Next Generation? They tried a similar model here in the US. More expensive subscription cost and a more expensive cover cost. Gamefan was $5.99 at the newsstand adn $25 to subscribe to five years ago. They also had glossier, thicker stock paper, fewer ads, etc. compared with EGM for instance. I don't recall EGM's cover price five years ago but I paid about $10 for a one year subscription.

US magazine Cineaste is another good example. Though not half as glossy and with far fewer pages than Premiere it hardly has any ads and therefore is $6 at the newsstand and $20 for a mere four issues to subscribe to.

Premiere on the other hand costs around $10 for 12 issues. Same distribution area, different business model.

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Rogmeister's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I remember GameFan had the worst subscription service ever. Pay $25 and maybe get 3 or 4 issues...