EDIT: It was suggested that I post this in the Tech & Rest Forum, so here it is.

As some of you know, I managed to BIN a $12 Virtual Boy on eBay last week. Unfortunately, I hooked it up only to find that one of the screens wasn't displaying an image, so I wanted to take the VB apart to try to fix it. The screws on the Virtual Boy are the standard 4.5 mm security bit, like the ones used on Sega Genesis cartridges. Unfortunately, the screws are recessed about 2 inches into the body of the system, and the hexagonal portion of the 4.5 mm security bit is much too wide to fit into the holes. One possibility is to notch a flathead screwdriver so that it will work with the security bit, like this:

Originally, I was just going to make one of these with a dremel tool, but I was worried about the small tips of the screwdriver breaking. The end result is that I made a custon screwdriver that will easily fit down the Virtual Boy's screw holes. You will need the following items to make your own, and preferrably access to a metal lathe.

Any screwdriver will work as long as it is sufficiently skinny. The security bit can be purchased from MCM electronics, or I believe Sylentwulf carries them in his online store, The Electric Quarter.

Here are pics of the final product:

First, the security bit was placed on the lathe, and the hexagonal portion of the bit was machined down until it was the same diameter as the tip. Next, the back end of the bit was drilled out in the shape of a cone. This was all that needed to be done on the lathe with the bit. The front portion of the screwdriver handle had to be sanded off so that it would fit in the collar for the lathe. The screwdriver was then placed in the lathe, and the head was removed. The head was then shaped so that it looked like a cone, so that it would fit into the back of the security bit. After using a grinder to make slight adjustments so that the fit would be perfect, the two were ready to be mated. Silver wire was used as solder, and an acetylene blow torch was used to melt it (although a normal soldering iron could be used as long as it could get hot enough to melt the wire). It was the sanded down and cleaned up on a grinder, and it was done! It worked great and I was able to take apart my Virtual Boy.

Chris