Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    tholly1983
    PSN
    tholly

Quote Originally Posted by MarioAllStar2600
    Port if you buy that and drill it out of the system you are by far the whackiest (along with one of the most hardcore) Nintendo collectors I know.

i was honestly giving the cut it off the system idea some serious thought, but the sticker does look like it isnt in the best of shape.....maybe if if was nice and flat and didnt look faded/bubbled/tattered i would have considered a $2 or $3 bid
    Collection Pics--RFGen List--Excel Collection Spreadsheet
    Wii: 6005 4631 6751 2174 -- PS3: tholly -- X360: tholly1983

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by portnoyd
    Step 1: Win that auction

Step 2: CAREFULLY peel off NWC sticker

Step 3: Frame it.
    Step 3b: Take video footage of yourself throwing said framed sticker in front of a Mack truck on the highway

Nice...uh...wait, what was nice about this again? The sticker is a shitty monochrome job; looks to me like the kid took it off his shirt and then put it on his NES. Whatever it's worth to the bidders, that's all I've got to say about that.

Great Puma (Level 12) -hellvin-'s Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That thing is uglier than a turd sitting in the toilet.

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) rbudrick's Avatar
    Buying the rare ones, moments before you get there.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Default g

So you were at the Worchester one? Small world, so was I.

As far as I know, you could have one of the kids who complained about the shutting power off every 10 minutes to get people to rotate.
    Well, makes sense since you practically lived next door to me! I probably did complain because I was kicking the shit out of Ninja Gaiden II That was definitely an awesome thing about the NWC...playing all those pre-release games way before their release dates. I went with two friends named Kevin Murphy and Jake Sirois....you may have known them.

-Rob
    The moral is, don't **** with Uncle Tim when he's been drinking!

Alex (Level 15)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SoulBlazer07

Yeah, I grumbled a little about the rotating of the games also, but it was a wise move on Nintendo's part. Even at the tender age of 14 I understood why they did it.

And yes, it was GREAT fun checking out all those pre-release games. I remember some were a little different then released versions also -- I wonder if prototypes are out there somewhere!

Besides SMB 3, I also clearly recall playing Final Fantasy, Ninja Gaiden II, Castlevania III, Dragon Spirt, Metal Gear: Snakes Revenge, and Astyanax.

Do you recall the little Zelda skit and the question and answer forum with the Nintendo Game Counselor also?
    "Four o'clock and all is well.....wish I was in bed, Sir."
    -- Guard in the Imperial City, Oblivion

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Ah, so they did play Castlevania III! Was it a regular cart or what? The specific games on the NWC cart had me wondering about whether they actually played everything that was said to have been played, heh.

Alex (Level 15)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SoulBlazer07

From what I recall, Ed, the Castlevania III game was not the final release. Some games were final release -- they hit the stores a couple months later. Some, like Ninja Gaiden II, looked ready but you played a stage in the middle of the game. I don't recall exactly where in Castlevania III you played, but I really want to say it was'nt quite finished yet.

The NWC tour hit Mass in the summer, and the game was released in late October. (I bought the game on Halloween, as a matter of fact! ) So they had time to finish it up.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Yeah, I grumbled a little about the rotating of the games also, but it was a wise move on Nintendo's part. Even at the tender age of 14 I understood why they did it.

And yes, it was GREAT fun checking out all those pre-release games. I remember some were a little different then released versions also -- I wonder if prototypes are out there somewhere!

Besides SMB 3, I also clearly recall playing Final Fantasy, Ninja Gaiden II, Castlevania III, Dragon Spirt, Metal Gear: Snakes Revenge, and Astyanax.

Do you recall the little Zelda skit and the question and answer forum with the Nintendo Game Counselor also?
    Oh yeah! I remember Astyanax and Snakes Revenge! and now that you mention it, I DO remeber Dragon Spirit there! I don't remember the SZelda skit, but I do remember this crappy-ass rap group playing there and they sucked. BAD. At one point all these people were standing around in awe at how much they sucked and the young girl in the group said, "Every body say HO!!" Everyone looked at each other thinking, "Why on earth would I want to do that? What, like Thundercats, or a prostitute?" My friend said "Ho," bnasically calling her a ho. Ahhh, laughs all around.

Oh, yeah, and I do remember CVIII there.....Ed, you couldn't see any of the carts, they were in these kiosk things where the systems were hidden away, I believe.

SB, the Ninja Gaiden I played there started at the beginning....I remembered that if you played really well, you could just beat the second boss before it reset on you.. God, I love that game. Memory is fuzzy, but I don't remember any differences in these games form their release versions....then againb, it doesn't mean there weren't any! I was in 7th grade, man (or just finished it or something).

Or maybe it was 6th.....I dunno.

-Rob

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Default f

Oh, Yeah, SB, I do remember the Q&A with the GPCs. I remember that whenever I called the hotline, there were certain Qs that they wouldn't answer (it was sort of a policy). For example, how to beat a last boss or something. One time I called the hotline, and they wouldn't tell me how to beat the last boss in Wrath of the Black Manta. So, I asked them this question (which I by now knew the answer to) at the NWC and he answered it. Those cheap bastards! They cheated on their policy when put on the spot! I remember feeling a bit cheated on many lonmg-distance calls that they could have answered but didn't.

-ROb

Alex (Level 15)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SoulBlazer07

Huh. I don't recall the rap group, but then it was a large place and you could'nt be everywhere at once. The Zelda skit was quite good, actually.....realistic enough looking Link and Zelda.

The lines of people waiting to get to SMB 3 made my jaw drop several times....I finally got in to play it as the day was coming to a close. It did'nt do much for me at the time, but when it came out I spent about a week on it.

I also tried out for the championship, of course....but I was'nt the best Rad Racer player in the world and I was'nt surprised I did'nt make the cut.

They had Game Boy games there also but the only ones I recall seeing are Metroid II and Nemesis.

Perhaps one of the best memories I had was that when we were leaving -- my Dad had dropped a friend and I off there for the day, then came back to pick us up -- and he paid the guy at the booth for the parking, he had this WICKED spiked hair do. I have yet to see anything else even CLOSE to it. We could hardly wait to we were out of eatshot range before we all cracked up laughing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Default a

Lol, My greatest memory of the place wqas also when we were about to leave. My friend Kevin Murphy was an unstoppable GB Tetris player. It was the height of the Tetris fad at the time and we ran into Ben Smith, the head Game Play Counselor. Something tells me he was actually running the NWC show at the time, or at least had someting big to do with it. I believe he went to move up in the company into product development or something. Anyway, he was holding a gray NWC cart and I said something along the lines of, "Any chance of getting one of those?" and said, "Sure, if you've got 3 grand." Anyway, it was sweet to see that cart, but here comes the cool part. My friend challenged him to a head to head game of GB Tetris. It was a great game. Kevin barely beat him...it was real close. He won by a hair. So, we were just absolutley psyched that that happenned. Kev challenged, Ben acceppted. On top of this, I got Ben's autograph on 6 of those NWC pamphlets we see pop up every now and then. They all say "Ben Smith GPC."

Hey, I can hijack my own thread if I want!!

Man, wish I coulda saw that Zelda skit,...don't ask me why...

-Rob