Thread: Oil game and Energy game for Apple computer?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Oil game and Energy game for Apple computer?

Ok, fellow gamers. I have a quest for you. Please email me any info in addition to posting on here. These threads get so easily lost with the many posts.

Back in 1988, I was a senior in high school. The teacher had 2 games which we played during class as a sort of way of learning, plus to have fun, and the winner received extra credit for the quarter. These were extremely cool, at least I thought so. Both had to do with energy.

I believe we used Apple 2 computers, so they may only be available on an apple, but I wanted to find out if they were released on other systems, and exactly what their names were.

The first one was an oil drilling game. You would pick a plot of land, then on your turn, you would either test the soil, or drill for oil. Depending on how much or little you hit for, you would generate so many barrels per round. At the end of the round, you were able to sell none, some, or all of your oil to generate more income to drill for more oil. (If you want a hint on how to win this game, ask me since my team won thanks to my input).

The second game was based on energy evolution. Again, it had the same concept that you begin with the most primitive form of energy, and produce so many units per round. You then earned so much money, and while you get more money, you can upgrade your energy system. I know it began with a horse pulling a wheel in a circle I believe, then moved on to water wheel, coal, oil, nuclear and solar if my memory serves me right.

So do etiher of these sound familiar? If so, please let me know any info.

Thanks.

Phil
    Visit my website for all the variations in existence.

[url]http://www.videogamevariations.com[/url]

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I can't help you with the names, but there is a good site that has a lot of ways to search for old games.

http://underdogs.cjb.net/

An game involving drilling of oil if i recall was, "Oil's Well" by Sierra. That could be one of the games you were looking for..

If anything.. I hope you complete your quest!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Can it be Oil Rig or Oil Barons?

BTW, you can find almost every old Apple II game at Asimov's

Chaos Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mayhem64

Oil Barons sounds highly possible, seeing as I own it myself. Except that's a mother of a game with packaging: board, counters, pieces all over the place. Somehow mine is still 100% complete...

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I own Oil's Well by Sierra for the colecovision. I don't think that was the game. It definitely did not have any type of board or playing pieces. I do remember it being set up for like 4 or 5 teams.

I just finally got back to the underdogs. Though the website I hit is www.the-underdogs.org. This has almost all vintage video games, though some do not work at all, or possibly just don't work on the modern computer. One day i'll hook up one of my old vintage 286's or something of that nature.

I have not looked for any Oil game there, so I'll probably do that over the next few days.

I don't have an apple, so unless they have a pc converted version, then I won't be able to acquire it. Thanks for all the input.

Phil
    Visit my website for all the variations in existence.

[url]http://www.videogamevariations.com[/url]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Philflound
    I don't have an apple, so unless they have a pc converted version, then I won't be able to acquire it. Thanks for all the input.Phil
    Have you explored Apple II emulation yet?

Download AppleWin from here and then check out Asimov's. They have almost every Apple II rom that you can think of. Its definately worth checking out if you love Apple II games.