Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Most Irritating Collectors

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

haha this is awesome...i saw this topic, didnt even read the post, and by the title alone i knew by the time i got back from work, every single DP'er was gunna be ticked off and gettin pissed at this dude...

this guys just prob pissed off cuz sum body screwed him over or sumthin...but hey the one kind of collector we can prob ALL agree to hate are people who are ONLY in it for the profit...ppl who buy tons of games at a discount price and then sell them off...they havent even touched the games nor do they actually give a shit...so technically they arent even considered "collectors", but hell we all encounter them and they def piss us off....

Collect on brothers...and more importantly GAME ON!
    Avenger Out

DC Underground

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Fuyukaze
    While I know I am still new here, I do agree with atleast one point that the original poster made.

I cant stand people who buy only to resale them for killer profits. My reasoning though is a bit different. Its not due to a lack of understanding. I myself have been in the position where it was buy low/sell high or go without. I know people who do that now because they need the money. I still feel its wrong because what they are selling, isnt some stock on wallstreet to me. Its a treasure to be enjoyed. Its something to be played and marveled at. Not something to be cast around like it was useless or junk.
    Though this is my opinion, I also admit its not my money so I have no right to say much if anything at all. Honestly, does it realy matter what motives one colects for? If its their own money they are spending, shouldnt they have the right to decide what they buy, how they play it, or even if they do?

Even knowing its none of my buisness, it still drives me crazy. I will probly always be offended to some degree by this one particular type of game colector.
    People do this for money though. It may be someone who doesnt want the game but knwo they can make profit. THey sell it to someone who wants to play it though, or someone else who will enjoy owning it, making 2 people happy (the person who bought it to resell, and the new buyer), and 1 person mad, you. I get mad too when I find out someone beat me to the rummage sale with games, but it doesnt piss me off to the point where I have to make a topic about it, I just complain about it in the "weekday finds" thread.

Apple (Level 5) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The Collector....

I'm really enjoying your avatar.
    By the way. I collect everything I can get my hands on. I buy games for systems I don't even have. I won't buy every game I see in EB or Wal-Mart or Best Buy, but if I see a box of games in Goodwill or any junkstore, I will buy it. No matter what. I don't care what it is.
    I love getting new(or old) video games. I simply enjoy video games for being video games. The more the merrier!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I love chicken!
    I love liver!
    MEOW MIX! MEOW MIX!
    Please Deliver..........

Oh sorry, what was this tripe we were talking about.......
    Responsible government is not only a good idea, it's the law. Really. If only they had this on a sign outside of every government building.

I can has MOAR DS? Custom rank graphic
    Bay Area, Ca | 2125 miles from Chicagoland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PapaStu

I have to agree with Chunky here. Im not out to make a profit on my games over others, if I can help someone I am more than glad to do so. Hell I sent Dangerboy a game that easily commands 40+ on ebay FOR FREE, why... because he needed it for his collection. Oh and I am one of those who collects mutiple copies of a game just for a reason. They are called variants. Just look at my 8 copies of Alundra (or any of the Variant stuff that some of us PlayStation collectors hunt in my first sig link below). Im also one of those people who just must have to many games for you to like me and I just dont play enough of them. I've only got so many hours in a day and unfortunatley ive got other things happening in my life. Oh any my game room, yah thats a little packed too. Even more reason to hate me because ive not been as up on the ball as I used to be with my organizational lists.

Hopefully you can look beyond this and see that i'm not a bad video game collector and that I might even bring something to the community, but then again were all so engrossed in our own collecting that I'm not sure that I'll see your answer.
    Because it makes no attempt to be great, it is therefore extremely great.
    Some of My Game Collection
    Mah Mac n' Cheese Blog

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by orrimarrko
    I hate cats...and my job.
    +1
    "Kooch56.. you is a MEAN man!"
    My DP feedback
    "Take us to the THRESHOLD!"

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I sold games I wasnt interested in, hardware and swaps on ebay, and it paid for my whole collection so far (nearly every euro sms game) and more

I also made a packet of cash which is helping me though my education!

And hey, if I didnt buy these old games they would get thrown in the trash, sold to some little kid thats going to snot all over it, or bought by a real dealer with stupid prices!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: The Most Irritating Collectors

Quote Originally Posted by Great Hierophant
    To me, the greatest collector is the one who only collects those games which he likes to play. I do not appreciate some other collectors, for example:

The Hoarder of the Unavailable. This fellow will keep his prototypes to himself , keeping them from being dumped and enjoyed by others.
    The Greatest collector! hummm! so can this (Great collector) play all his fav games at the same time!... thought not!

If you go and pay X amount of $$$ for a Proto, why not just go and throw it all away and have it dumped (Surely a proto that hasn't been dumped, would be a jewel of any collectors collection), to ME it doesn't matter if a Proto gets dumped or not, it's up to the owner of the proto, and i'm not of a needy nature, that i HAVE to have a rom of that game!!

It's like having a sweet chick she's all yours, but guys in the street and even your best buddies want to bone her! So thats cool right? will that chick still be the same to you afterwards? ( A strange enallage, but you see what i mean ~ )

At the end of the day (a proto) is only plastic and bits of metal that people put a price on! Now i'll go play my Nes unreleased game "Burning bridges!"

*EDIT* The Most Irritating Collector HAS posted the The Most Irritating thread, hey your on a roll now, go wash ya Ass! x_x

..XS

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I hate everyone
    The collector who buys low and sells high:These people are driving up ebay prices
    The collector who buys high ans sells low:These people are driving up yard sale/flea market prices
    The collector who buys and sells for the same:These people are doing nothing for our economy
    The collector who is unorganized:I can't ever find the game I want when I'm at their house
    The collector who is organized:All they are doing is bragging about their collection
    The collector who has two game rooms, one organized and one not:I've just confused myself-I think I'll stop now
    Be excellent to one another. Party on dudes!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by vision89
    I hate everyone
    The collector who buys low and sells high:These people are driving up ebay prices
    The collector who buys high ans sells low:These people are driving up yard sale/flea market prices
    The collector who buys and sells for the same:These people are doing nothing for our economy
    The collector who is unorganized:I can't ever find the game I want when I'm at their house
    The collector who is organized:All they are doing is bragging about their collection
    The collector who has two game rooms, one organized and one not:I've just confused myself-I think I'll stop now
    Dude i think your avatar says it all! AND that avatar looks very familiar? hmmmm

..XS

Too Old for this Crap Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    QOF
    3DS Friend
    3308-4993-4867

The only "collectors" I hate are the ones that aren't even interested in the games but are interested in reselling on ebay. Take the Circuit City sale for example, sure, I bought a ton of crap, but I at least bought them for myself and only one copy of each. I could've easily scooped up four copies of Guilty Gear X2 but I didn't because I wanted to leave something behind for someone else. It's just good karma. Compare that to the two yahoos I saw that had literally three baskets full of stuff bragging about how they were going to be rich off of ebay. (And of course they had every copy of some games that I wanted, but oh well. It's their right I guess. )

Kristine
    "I am way too lesbian for that shit."

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Wavelflack
    A guy could buy a ton of food, then dump it in the sewer in plain view of a group of starving kids....and it's not wrong. It's not illegal. It's not immoral.
    Your conscience must not have to do much work

All i have to say about "bad" collectors is: what goes around comes around.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Queen of the Felines
    The only "collectors" I hate are the ones that aren't even interested in the games but are interested in reselling on ebay. Take the Circuit City sale for example, sure, I bought a ton of crap, but I at least bought them for myself and only one copy of each. I could've easily scooped up four copies of Guilty Gear X2 but I didn't because I wanted to leave something behind for someone else. It's just good karma. Compare that to the two yahoos I saw that had literally three baskets full of stuff bragging about how they were going to be rich off of ebay. (And of course they had every copy of some games that I wanted, but oh well. It's their right I guess. )

Kristine
    If Ihad money to do so, I would have done the same as that person did. Making moniey to buy new games is a great thing. Plus maybe after you bought the games you wanted a group of peope came in and bought all the ones that would sell high on ebay? Selling the stuff you dont want is a great way to earn money for more games you want.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Queen of the Felines

Kristine
    QOF, you sound to good, but i guess your gunna find yahoo's like that everywhere.. also the little ditty over your avatar, i wouldn't say that was so

I haven't been "there" yet :P (Just kiddin)

..XS

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Woah, woah! time out ya all! the guy had a point and if you dont like it move on, no need to make it personal. there are lots of conversations here on this same issue just with different subject lines like "what kind of collector are you" or the perenial favorite "are you a collector or player". its a shame the guy used the word "hate" in his post because its de-railing a decent subject. i know the great heirophant personally, he's not a close friend but he's been over to our trademeets several times and i like him. he knows a lot about games and he's a good intelligent guy to talk with.

its my own view that coming down on somebody else's collecting habits is unproductive since theres a place for everybody in this foodchain of ours. i speak up for my style of collecting and its pretty much the only way i'd want to do it but its no more or less legit than all the other flavors. anyways i just dont think this topic warrents all the slams in it so far.

whats my style of collecting? even though i'd never spend at his level this quote sums it up pretty well

i am a collector that you dont have listed on there.
    i am a collector that started at the age of four, and played video games a majority of my life from 1982 to 1994.
    i burned out, but still played on occasion in the meantime.
    in 2000, i started gaining interest in my old colecovision games..
    and i started collecting, with a fury.
    i rarely play anymore, but i still do once in a while.
    i collect because it's in my blood.
    i want every game available just in case i want to play it.
    and yes- i do love to look at the artwork.
    i can have a satisfying week without playing one game, and just appreciating some of the box art from those early games.
    i also sometimes think of my collection as an investment, even though i have no intention to sell.
    NEW ENGLAND CLASSIC GAMING-NEXT TRADEMEET pretty soon... IN BOSTON

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

id most likely fall under the category of the collector who just collects and never plays. I buy games, play them once or twice and usualy never play them again. Im a bargain hunter, if i go into EB and see a game for like $5.99 on ps2 or something i must have the game! (no sports games)

Visit my YouTube page: Pete's Game Room

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Super_Ghouls_'N'_Ghosts
    3 of everything!? I'll have you know my best friend has FOUR copies of Lunar Silver Star Story Complete for PSX (Each with different Artwork on the CD's) and DAMN PROUD OF IT!

3's company....but 4 is a crazy man's game...
    How about the 7 CD arts for Lunar SSS for Sega CD. And actually 8 variations as the common art CD comes with both foil and non foil manual. I have 5 of 8. Good fun, and SCD version is GREAT.

Tom
    Visit my web page for lots of games for sale/trade www.TomMage.com

Strawberry (Level 2) Pedro Lambrini's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Boy, did Heirophant get a reaction! :P

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I look at things this way, to each their own.

If I see 4 copies of disgea for 10 each I am and I am trading em or selling em.Its how alot of us build their collections. I won the super bowl contest this year got some good stuff. Kept what I really wanted, and used some of it to get some items in trade I really wanted. I don't care how many copies of a game I have if I find some at an incredible price (secret of mana for 3.99) I will buy em to make money to get games I want. Its called what you do when you don't make diddly squat at your job and still wnat to get games Hell some of the collectors do it every day as its called their business, they have shops and need to do this to make money

I don't have everything on display, some are still in boxes, mainly because I don't have enough room.

The only thing I am good at is keeping track of games I own, games I want, trade lists, orphan lists, mags and guides list etc. I may not know where it is, but dammnit I know if I have it
    You did what? With who? For how many cookies?
    Always looking for promotional materials and classic gaming commercials in print and video form
    my feedback-http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48618

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

"If Ihad money to do so, I would have done the same as that person did. Making moniey to buy new games is a great thing. Plus maybe after you bought the games you wanted a group of peope came in and bought all the ones that would sell high on ebay? Selling the stuff you dont want is a great way to earn money for more games you want."

Exactly. It's called WORK. Hunting down bargains, driving to get them (not knowing what will be left) or paying postage, paying in advance not knowing if they will sell or if you can trade them, you are taking a chance. It's not like someone is delivering to your door, it is work. Trading for stuff you want or selling to make money to buy other items you want, no problems with that here.....

Tom
    Visit my web page for lots of games for sale/trade www.TomMage.com