Thread: What do you folks think of this purchase?

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default What do you folks think of this purchase?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=8130318194

Since when a review copy not a prototype??? Doesn't review copy = prototype of production run?

good price/bad price?

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

It's a production board with a typewritten label that in no way corresponds to the authentic Wario's Woods prototype I've had pass through my home. I'd say it's a fake.

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Is a company like Nintendo known to use the same labels in all stages of a prototype?

Also, the copy you had.. was it a prototype or a review board?

Thanks.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The seller seems to visit DP at times, unless there are two guys with the same username.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by leonk
    Is a company like Nintendo known to use the same labels in all stages of a prototype?
    Hard to say. The only "prototype" NES cartridges to surface, with one very odd exception, are NTSC builds (usually final) on bigass EPROM boards sent to Europe, where prototype carts leaked much more easily. I had both Wario's Woods and Kirby's Adventure, which used the exact same typeface layout, and I've seen Mario 2, which looked extremely similar (therefore I'll say it's probably real). None looked anything like the pic in the auction. Plus, the warning label on the back is nothing special, and the circuit board is definitely production, meaning the only thing different about this cart is that it has a paper label.

So...maybe it's "authentic," in that a quick paper label was made before the final label was printed. I remember someone on this board having a couple third party review copies (Karate Kid and something else), one was on EPROMs and one was on final ROMs, both had a typewriter label. Either way, the only difference between what you've purchased and a final Wario's Woods cart is that the real label is replaced with a crappy one. So if that's your thing, congrats!

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

if it was a review copy, it would definately not have the gold label on the back. if it had a backlabel, it would also have the front label. Especially since this is a golden label saying it has a battery feature.

im not sure but i say this is just the regular copy with the front label taken off.
    Always looking for the obscure..www.nespit.com

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well,

I finally receiver the cart. It's really wierd. The screws are taped to the back, and the cart is taped together. The label looks like something printed out of a regular label maker. I own an NTF2 cart and know the type of paper/sticker NOA uses for their "over the counter" runs.

I emailed theseller, and this is what I got:

"The item was traded for from the classic gaming expo. The person who traded it to me was a member from the digitpress forum, and is considered respectful. A game reviewer friend of mine(Zach Meston) concluded that it is quite possible that this is legit copy of a pre-production run of Wario. It is not a proto, as stated, but a kind of hybrid. I bought it for $20.00 myself. I too, have a crapload of NES games. I am only missing 6 for my US set. I personally believe that it is the real thing, a reviewer copy. That is what I know, I hope it helps, John"

OK.. so fess up! Who here had this cart before?? At this point, if authenticity isn't resolved, I see 2 things that can happen:

1) I hit the seller with square trade for selling a fake
    2) the cart gets converted into a homebrew cart..

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    achika
    PSN
    portnoyd

swlovinst is a John and was at CGE and is close to a US NES set, no?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by portnoyd
    swlovinst is a John and was at CGE and is close to a US NES set, no?
    Huh?, you saing he bought hookers?

If he said it wasn't a prototype then obviously he knew what he was talking about in that it isn't containg a typical full size proto board with eeproms. So lay not only off the agression pills but lay off the guy as well (if you are justly people that is, otherwise continue going crazy). Next go look up protoype (cartridge) in the dictionary and then review (cartridge) and you'll see there are different meanings. He was using descriptive words to be honestly accurate. There is a difference between being careleass with words (see the majority of people in general), and using trickeration, neither of which is the case with the thise seller might I add.

swlovinist is swlovinist. He said it wasn't a prototype and he even gave you the name of where he got. I don't quite understand what all the apprehension about it comes from. Everyone here is telling you the same thing he said in the auction but your uneasy now because they're careless in how they put it? The only thing I’ve heard here that has any pull towards being worth while to listen to in this particular instance is that the label on the back isn't out of the ordinary, and that is it. Read post 5 paragraph 2 and that sums it up. But I mean who cares if there is another Wario's wood and that it is a bonafide proto or whatever. It's not like these two particular totally seperate instances would need to be alike, I mean c’mon, just because two brothers have different skin tones doesn't mean they weren’t born by the same mother, it just means they got different daddies!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

swlovinst is a John Huh?, you saing he bought hookers?

I mean c’mon, just because two brothers have different skin tones doesn't mean they weren’t born by the same mother, it just means they got different daddies!

Ok i'm lost, i thought this was about wario woods and a proto.. i don't like this game anymore. where's the exit please!!

..XS (hahahhahh)

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

20$ is not a lot of money.. I'm after the principle here.

I did not buy this as a prototype.. I bought it as a demo cart. This cart doesn't feel like a demo cart because of the label. I've seen labels produced by NOA (Nintendo of America) and this ain't it.

It looks more like something that was recently printed through a common label maker you can buy in staples.

I'd pay 20$ for a demo cart.. I will not pay for some jack ass to take a regular cart, strip the label, print his own and call it a demo cart, when it's not!

Pac-Man (Level 10) vintagegamecrazy's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Leonk wrote
    I'd pay 20$ for a demo cart.. I will not pay for some jack ass to take a regular cart, strip the label, print his own and call it a demo cart, when it's not!
    Agreed.

I don't know too much on protos, but good luck on that issue.

PS that label seems fake, most I've seen look like they're printed on a typewriter.
    If they made a movie out of your top five worst sins, what would it be rated?

Check out my list of trades on GameTZ Link

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I just have to say that this:

trickeration
    is the best newly invented word ever
    It sounds like something Bush or Gore would have said during their highly intellectual presidential debates a few years ago
    "And remember ladies: if it ain't tight, it ain't right!"

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Leonk: That's not a real prototype...Nintendo never even sent their stuff out in the USA. If it was a a proto board, I could possibly see it, but not with that label on the back and a production board. I have Legend of Zelda, Kirby, Tetris 2, Super Mario Kart, and none of them look like that at all....they are all legit prototypes...