Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Burnout 3. WOW! Anyone else playing this?

Pac-Man (Level 10) hezeuschrist's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Hezeuschrist

Quote Originally Posted by legov8
    I have the original for the GameCube. I went to IGN and man that game looks very cool. Now I want to get a Play Station 2. But what stinks is that they were going to make it for the Cube and they cancled it. Darn
    If you're going to buy a system for this game, get an Xbox. The soundtrack to the game is downright intollerable (although the Atreyu song rules) and it's necessary to be able to listen to your own music.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Half Japanese
    PSN
    HalfJapanese

Quote Originally Posted by hezeuschrist
    Quote Originally Posted by legov8
    I have the original for the GameCube. I went to IGN and man that game looks very cool. Now I want to get a Play Station 2. But what stinks is that they were going to make it for the Cube and they cancled it. Darn
    If you're going to buy a system for this game, get an Xbox. The soundtrack to the game is downright intollerable (although the Atreyu song rules) and it's necessary to be able to listen to your own music.
    I bought this the other day and noticed the same thing. Save for the Ramones track and Maxeen, I wasn't too impressed with the st lineup. Looks like it's time to put some At the Drive-In, Rocket from the Crypt and New Bomb Turks on that mother. Though, and I fully understand no one knows what I'm talking about here, some Explosions in the Sky would be nifty to hear while you're racing too.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I picked this up for $20 at Best Buy a week ago when my internet went down... after being wowed and bedazzled properly by the graphics (maybe I'm just an old timer, because I haven't seen much mention of the graphics elsewhere), I hunkered down to play.

The first thought that came to mind was, "damn, PS2 games take FOREVER to load". I mean, damn. Turn game on, sit through PS2 startup. Pause for a short loading screen. Suffer through moronic EA games startup, and ZANG! Houston, we have bad indie power pop! Boy, back in the day developers were stretched to provide new and memorable music for each and every title. Then Tony Hawk came along and now it's all licensed crap, and beyond SSX (which is more "underground" than most, Techno can hardly be considered to have a top 40) and GTA 3 and Vice City, they all suck so very very hard. Yes, that includes everyone's precious GTA: San Andreans. They bring to mind images of obnoxious hyperactive trend following 14 year olds who use too many emoticons, and (in the case of the GTA: SA style games), wiggers.

But, occasionally I'll be wowed by some song or another - Tony Hawk 2 had a soundtrack that took some getting used to, but once my standards slipped low enough, I was enjoying the rad stylez of bands whose names I forget and Anthrax - and I was itching to play anyway, so I hopped right into Crash mode.

Wow. Load load LOAD load load. Programmers these days just don't have any clue how to optimize anything. And the entire menu system sucks. I'm not even a college graduate, and I can figure out a more efficient way of designing stuff - sometimes I'm just in the mood to crash over and over again, and just zone out and let myself be surrounded by the carnage. Not so here - even with the "retry" mode, my stats aren't saved. So, what, in order to rack up Big Money Big Prizes I have to choose an event, wait for the thing to load, cancel a flyby (I prefer to find out while in the game, instead of being led by the nostril like a sheep), wait for the thing to load, spin my wheels during the countdown, take off, have 10 seconds of driving, 20 seconds of watching cars smash (usually from poor angles - the camera system doesn't seem as worthwhile as in BO2), then a flyby, then a loading screen, then a LONG loading screen as everything's totalled and saved, then - back to the main menu!? TF!?!??! Come on, dudes, it's not THAT much effort to have a submenu with options in between.

So crash mode is a bit of a bust. The new icon system makes it feel even more like I'm being led along. I may be wrong, but I vaguely recall that Burnout 2 had a different formula - crash damage x # of cars crashed. This is way preferable and encourages much more thought out carnage - "okay, I want to hit off the bus, and spin 90 degrees so I'm blocking the entire freeway". I can't remember the name of it, but one of the freeway levels in the first 2 stages is the worst offender - let's see, I can leap off the ramp, spin sideways into a bus, wipe out four lanes of traffic, and gain a silver medal - or take the chickenshit way out, pick up a magic green multiplier, wipe out an on ramp and not much else, and walk away with a gold. *yawn* Neat".

Not to mention that the damage totals seem like they're presented in Euros or something - come on, I crash head on into a bus in my little compact car. I heavily doubt the mechanic's bill would be $4000, as this game totals it. Heck, even smashing into a bus and flipping it over nets you barely $10,000 of damage for a car that's basically completely totalled. Gee, so that means I can buy a city bus for a quarter's salary? Sign me up!

Road rage is neat, though the crashcam was a bit disorienting at first. Nothing major, and once I got used to it I was actually wishing it would linger longer - it's rare that you actually see a car get destroyed, usually the camera cuts away just after it spins out, as it's about to ram sideways into an oncoming tractor trailer.

The race mode is okay, and I won't even start on what a frustrating borefest the solitary lap modes are. Mario Kart had time trials - a seperate option for those who are in the mood for sliding, weaving perfection. This game tries to force me, the player, to accomplish this boring shit when I'm in the mood for adrenalin and thrills, chills, and bone crunching spills.

Someone else mentioned that the aftertouch option is "awesome" or some other such superlative. I found it a bit cheesy and hokey myself - the natural impulse is to continue to steer, when in fact you're merely moving a spirte along the screen. Ie, "up" and "down" actually go "up" and "down", which is completely unrealistic. There were also numerous times in which I would crash into a wall, then be rear ended by a computer player, only to not be given the credit because my finger wasn't on the R1 button. TF TF TF?

So, I'm decidedly mixed. Beautiful graphics and it's definitely FUN. In road rage mode, at least. But the human idiocy prevailant everywhere else - like most EA releases, this has an accompanying feeling of "boy, I'm sure glad EA hires a bunch of lazy, fragmented stoners and suits to do their coding", as it basically drips with the results of seclustered groupthink - keeps me from lavishing this game the way I lavished GTA: Vice City (which, though buggier (especially in its initial release) than GTA 3, and with absolutely horrible voice acting throughout (Diaz is the worst offender - come on, Luis Guzman, I know you can get by in America speaking absolutely none of the language, but if you're going to be hired to read lines, LEARN HOW TO EMPHASIZE) - at least manages to be a success on a gameplay scale - for its time), or games like Fantavision, Mad Maestro, or the alltime best fusion of gameplay and seamless design, Twisted Metal: Black.

And I totally agree with you, Justin. It makes you shudder, wondering just how deluded these suits in EA are - did they choose this crap for metaphoric intent, or did someone's kid just really never get enough of Hanson / Good Charlotte soundalikes?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Half Japanese
    PSN
    HalfJapanese

Well, I did notice one thing sort of ironic. I do believe I've heard some mild language from the announcer guy on Crash FM (which is horrible and should have been left to fester on the cutting room floor), yet in one of the songs on the st that I knew before playing the game (Maxeen's "Please") they censored the word "bitch" in it's single occurence in the song.

"I'll give you my heart then you can sell it for the resolution, ride that bitch for free"

Kind of odd I thought.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Doesn't exactly have much to do with Burnout 3 or my point, but yeah. Chances are they just grabbed the radio-friendly copies of all the songs - that's how licensing tends to work. Also, it adds a certain measure of realism to the radio itself, as the announcer would likely be on a live mic, so there's no way to censor him if he chooses to cuss (Howard Stern is tape delayed so all the naughty language is cut out, but I'm sure if some NPR jockey wanted to he could get the FCC in an uproar).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This is one of my top 5 favorite PS2 games. I'm pretty much done with the World Championship mode (or whatever it's called. I still play single player Road Rage events though. I'm at just over 7000 take downs

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Hezeuschrist

Quote Originally Posted by emumuumuucowgomoo
    Doesn't exactly have much to do with Burnout 3 or my point, but yeah. Chances are they just grabbed the radio-friendly copies of all the songs - that's how licensing tends to work. Also, it adds a certain measure of realism to the radio itself, as the announcer would likely be on a live mic, so there's no way to censor him if he chooses to cuss (Howard Stern is tape delayed so all the naughty language is cut out, but I'm sure if some NPR jockey wanted to he could get the FCC in an uproar).
    Pretty much every complaint you have with the game isn't an issue with the Xbox version. The load times are just dandy, you never have to deal with the horrid music if you don't want to, and I really must quote this, it bears repeating:

"Ie, "up" and "down" actually go "up" and "down", which is completely unrealistic."

It's an arcade game. Outrun 2 isn't realistic at all. Joust isn't realistic at all. This is the last place you should be looking for realism.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hezeuschrist
    Quote Originally Posted by emumuumuucowgomoo
    Pretty much every complaint you have with the game isn't an issue with the Xbox version. The load times are just dandy, you never have to deal with the horrid music if you don't want to, and I really must quote this, it bears repeating:

"Ie, "up" and "down" actually go "up" and "down", which is completely unrealistic."

It's an arcade game. Outrun 2 isn't realistic at all. Joust isn't realistic at all. This is the last place you should be looking for realism.
    Battlezone was an arcade game, but had quite realistic controls.

What if Centipede featured "throttle" movement? (like an airplane, or GTA's "inverted look" view - up goes down and down goes up?)

Or if Pacman's directional control had been POV (ie, pacman's moving down... press left to go right and vice versa) like Super Sprint?

Perhaps "realistic" wasn't the best choice of words - I suppose "well thought out" was what I was shooting for.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Hezeuschrist

So wait, you're complaing about the controls, and not the fact that you're actually controlling your vehicle after it explodes?

I guess I don't know what to say. I never had a problem with it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I love the game but have yet to get all the gold metals, im getting around half way done but I stopped playing it for the most part, i do have to play it more but eventually been playing alot of top spin

"With Great Power Comes Great Responisibility"
    Wanting to Collect full set of Super Nintendo Games as well as Dreamcast Games.

http://users.ign.com/collection/Lothars

Great Puma (Level 12) Darth Sensei's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This may be a stupid question, but isn't there a way to rip your own CD's to your XBOX and use that music for in game play?

Does anyone know how to do this to a regular, non-modded xbox?
    DP Feedback

I am Darth Sensei on Xbox Live as well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Hezeuschrist

Quote Originally Posted by CueWarrior
    This may be a stupid question, but isn't there a way to rip your own CD's to your XBOX and use that music for in game play?

Does anyone know how to do this to a regular, non-modded xbox?
    Simply put the CD in the drive, and press copy. Make sure they're original CD's though, as some Xboxes have trouble with CDr's or are protected against reading them.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, I have had it for a couple days now, and I am COMPLETELY addicted. It is THAT good! To think I waited this long to get it!! I got it for $19.99 brand new also, as it is a platinum hit now. What a fun, addictive game!
    DC--- It's STILL thinking....!!

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What have I been doing all those months? I just opened this game and played, now my productivity for the weekend is killed, I've been playing since Fri night, now almost 16 hours, my fav are Crash and Road Rage modes, I can see myself going back to this game even after I receive the gold metal, so the replayability is very high.

BTW, what city in US did the backgrounds come from? One seems like Boston (with elevated freeway on top), what's the city with marinas?

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I just bought this game yesterday.......and I'm a huge race game fan. I avoided it all this time because I played the (shitty) demo on an OXM disc way back at release time and couldn't see the sense in purposely wiping out every few minutes when you're supposed to avoid wrecks in racing games.

I can feel the addiction building. It's 8 in the morning and I'm playing it while I eat breakfast.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

FYI, try to get headlines in all 10 areas and get the fire truck, you won't believe the amount of damage this sucker does, especially in Danger Zone (seashore) and all areas in the Golden City, one attempt I triggered 4 crash breakers, got 4X multiplier, and got 2 million points, the exp point will build up very fast this way.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I watched my friend play this for like an hour while I was at his house. Racing games aren't usually my cup of tea, but this one looks right up my alley. Still though, my friend was so into it, he wouldn't let me play.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It is one of the few games I play where I actually talk to the game. Doing a takedown in the game is awesome. I am unpatiently awaiting the arrival of the new burnout to come out.