Thread: Atari 400 power supply/RF switch

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Atari 400 power supply/RF switch

Today I was lucky enough to come across a loose Atari 400 at my Goodwill. I decided to try it out, since it was only $6 and electronics were 25% off.

A few questions:

-Is the power supply hard to find, or are there any other power supplies that are compatible with the 400?

-What about the RF switch? I noticed that someone posted a link to an AV mod some time ago, although the document seems to have been lost. Would this be worth it?

-Is it safe to use 2600/7800/SMS/Genesis controllers with it? I'm almost certain it should be, since the controller jacks are identical.

Thanks in advance.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: Atari 400 power supply/RF switch

Quote Originally Posted by Algol
    Today I was lucky enough to come across a loose Atari 400 at my Goodwill. I decided to try it out, since it was only $6 and electronics were 25% off.

A few questions:

-Is the power supply hard to find, or are there any other power supplies that are compatible with the 400?

-What about the RF switch? I noticed that someone posted a link to an AV mod some time ago, although the document seems to have been lost. Would this be worth it?

-Is it safe to use 2600/7800/SMS/Genesis controllers with it? I'm almost certain it should be, since the controller jacks are identical.

Thanks in advance.

Power Supply is not too hard to find as all of the early Arari computers, printers and disk drived used the same one. They show up in Thrifts once in a while.

It uses the same RF switch that most of the early system used. Same as 2600 or Commodore 64. Radio Shack should have them.

It was made to work with the 2600 joy sticks. The commodore computers used the same joystick so there are lots of compatable ones around.