Thread: Sega CD Fuse Issue,... Again!

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Sega CD Fuse Issue,... Again!

Hi,

I have been trying to repair my US model sega cd. When I recived the system it was dead so i immediatly changed the fuse. The system then powered up, but for only a split second. Both the red and green lights came on and then went off.

I then cleaned VERY thoroughly the connection between the SCD and Genesis, both inside the connector and the contacts on the genesis. I then tried to power on again, but the same problem happened. I then dissasembled the whole unit and cleaned every connector possibe, but still the same things, the unit powers on for about half a second then turns off.

I have tried using different combinations of Genesis/SCD units and triple checked my power supplies.

My next step was to pull out the multimeters. I tested the input and output to the fuse; nothing. I then took the fuse out and it was fine. I then checked the continuity accross the fuse and it was fine.

The diode after the power input also proved fine, 13.8volts were running through it. I then moved onto the B963 power regulator, 13.8 V in and 13.8 V out; fine again. So this leads me to think that the problm lies between the voltage regulator and the fuse.

What i am thinking of doing is soldering a wire from the output leg of the voltage regulator to the input leg of the fuse (but removing the first keg of the fuse from the mobo to prevent a short). I will also put i diode in between the voltage regulator and the fuse.

I know that i will be bypassing something, but from what i have heard, 13.8 volts is the voltage that you are meant to be reading after the fuse as well. The way i figure it is that the worst i can do is blow the fuse.

Is there any other components before the fuse that i should be checking or am i missing something altogete? Also does anybody have any suggestions before i do this?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That is the same exact problem that I am having with my Sega CD Model 1. Turns on for a second then shuts right off. Ive tried many different things such as adding a new fuse to the old fuse and that didnt fix it. I know this is 5 years later but oh well. I am also from the US, which means our systems might be different, but the same problem