Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What Dreamcast games DIDN'T you like?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My caffeinated instincts must have prevented me from trying any sucky DC games -- I never played any of the ones above.

Except Ecco, which too difficult and had its problems, I LOVED. Similar to how some people love to be whipped?

Hmmm, bad games, bad games .. ah! I recall the worst travesty of the Dreamcast gaming console! A game which seemed to be an honorable update to Golden Axe but miserably failed & dashed my expectations -- SOUL FIGHTER! Boring gameplay combined with truly evil camera.

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

Quote Originally Posted by autobotracing
    I HATE OOGA BOOGA!!!!! ITS SUCKS !!!!!!!!
    Could you peeps kindly elaborate? Most importantly explain what you don't like. See, I'm trying to see if I've missed something and/or need to go back to these games to refresh my memory.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Ascending Wordsmith's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Dynamite Cop is a game I could've done without. Hell, I didn't even like Fighting Force and most people consider that decent! Dynamite Cop is so short, you can beat the game during two commercial breaks. How come companies can't make a decent beat'em up anymore? Dynamite Cop is a giant dud!

The only game in history where beating up sea life will rescue the president's daughter.... yeah, I cried too.
    Never use a long word where a short one will do.

--George Orwell

(formerly PC Kwaj)

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by digitalpress
    Quote Originally Posted by YoshiM
    I agree that UFC was also very rank. After playing Sould Calibur (and THQ wrestling games), UFC and the rest of that ilk are just mindless button mashers to me.
    Who are you agreeing with? Don't get UFC confused with ECW! I thought the UFC fighting game was actually pretty good. Both ECW games were mediocre at best. Then again, this is why I'm asking for other opinions.
    Both of the ECW games are extremely horrible. I've gone to ECW shows and gave up about 5 keyboards, a stove pipe and a pair of old stereo speakers to the weapon matches... so I've spent quite a while 'trying' to like these games. Ugh. I'd rather put on a VHS of ECW matches and hold a controller and pretend I'm playing rather then play the ECW games.

Authordreamweavervisionar yplusactor Arcade Antics's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PC Kwajalein
    Dynamite Cop is a game I could've done without. Hell, I didn't even like Fighting Force and most people consider that decent! Dynamite Cop is so short, you can beat the game during two commercial breaks. How come companies can't make a decent beat'em up anymore? Dynamite Cop is a giant dud!

The only game in history where beating up sea life will rescue the president's daughter.... yeah, I cried too.
    @Kwaj: Funny thing is, that's exactly why I LIKE Dynamite Cop. :grin: I really do, and yes, I know I'm nuts. But in all fairness, it's just like the arcade game, hence the short playtime. The only real flaw is that it's a bit too easy, but I can play it again and again. (I don't like Fighting Force though. Ack!)
    Selling collection, Atari through XBox. Send a PM with whatever games you're looking for.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I thought Dynamite Cop was pretty crappy. The game was too short and the Boss's weren't very hard. I would have been pissed if I hadn't gotten 5 of them for $6 at an auction sale. Of course I should have known then that it would have been a lousy game.

I also thought MRC had lousy handling. They put too much effort into features like the guy in the driver seat actually turning the steering wheel and choices of what car, what color, degree of window tint but IMO failed in the playability.

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

Quote Originally Posted by Savedman
    I also thought MRC had lousy handling. They put too much effort into features like the guy in the driver seat actually turning the steering wheel and choices of what car, what color, degree of window tint but IMO failed in the playability.
    MRC?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

See? The game was so lousy that I couldn't even remember the name . I meant to say MSR (Metopolis Street Racer).

My Bad!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

MetRoplolis!! I have been spending too much time playing games today and not enough time working....my boss is gonna be PISSED!! I need to put my dreamcast away and get back to work and no I don't work in a game store

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by punkoffgirl
    Pass the pipe, then!

Btw, I didn't care for Illbleed either..

I liked illbleed it had some funny voice acting. It kinda grew on me after a few games. I did not really like shadow-man and slave zero.
    they just had some horrible control.

Thanks

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Holger Czukay

MTV. SPORTS. SKATEBOARDING.

Oh God, make the flood of Tony Hawk imitators stop....I feel sorry for Andy Macdonald, Danny Way, and all the other great pro skaters that have to live with THIS on their records.

Namco Museum. NOT THE GAMES THEMSELVES, but the presentation. Only 6 games? Come on, the PSX Namco Museum titles had more to offer!!!

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

What was that one shooting game with "OX" in the title? The one that warns you right at the beginning that if you play the game, you're going to have a seizure and die? I hated that bastard game. Not only is it the most boring shooter of all time, I didn't even get a headache playing it! Stupid misleading warning. This is one of the very few games I've ever played where I turned it off before getting a game over and put it away forever.

Crimson OX? Something stupid like that. All I know is, there were no oxen to be found. I found myself longing for Oregon Trail very, very quickly.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Oh, goodie, this should be fun!

In no particular order:

4 Wheel Thunder: The game was actually well designed... judging from what little I've seen of it, anyway. Unfortunately, the difficulty was raised to such an absurd level that you'll never play more than the first round.

Atari Anniversary Collection: You've got interviews with Nolan Bushnell, and... well, that's about all that's worth anything. The raster scan games are acceptably emulated (although it's extremely difficult to get just the right resolution), but the vector titles have thin, dark lines that are almost impossible to see. If you can't see the game, why bother to play it?

Grand Theft Auto 2: Combines ugly 2D graphics with frustrating 3D control for an experience you'll want to quickly forget (especially if you're a fan of the later games). I wouldn't call this grand theft... petty larceny is more like it.

Mortal Kombat Gold: This Dreamcast edition of Mortal Kombat seems closer to rusty than golden thanks to a sloppy translation that's filled with flaws. The music cuts off, polygons grow out of the characters' feet as they fall into the pit, and you're even advised against saving your game because it could destroy all your other save files! Bravo, Midway.

Namco Museum: The same poor emulation as the Playstation game, but lacking all the good stuff. This was so crummy that hobbyist programmers designed their own Pac-Man emulators for the Dreamcast just to show them how it should have been done.

Q*Bert: I don't care what anyone else says... this sequel to the coin-op was frustrating, ugly, and generally obnoxious. I find the subtle phallic references kind of creepy, too. Stick with Q*Bert 3 on the Super NES.

Sega Smash Pack Vol. 1: Another crummy commercial emulator, this time attempting (but failing) to bring a dozen popular Genesis games to the Dreamcast. It sounds almost, but not quite, as pleasant as standing under a smoke alarm with a lit cigarette.

Spawn: In the Demon's Hand: It's deceptively entertaining... at first. However, after you've beaten a few rounds and the enemies get ridiculously cheap, slicing you in half at every given opportunity, you'll think about tossing this hellspawned disc into the microwave.

Test Drive 5: A weak, slightly silly racing game. This might have cut the mustard on the PSOne, but on the more powerful Dreamcast it just smells like it's cut the cheese. Check out the poorly designed cars, complete with box-headed drivers inside!

Tomb Raider (name it and it belongs on this list): More Boobs Raider. Yay.

I haven't played these games yet, but most people would agree that Floigan Brothers, Wild Metal, and I-Spy deserve to be on this list as well.

JR

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

Default Re: Oh, goodie, this should be fun!

Quote Originally Posted by ManekiNeko
    Atari Anniversary Collection: You've got interviews with Nolan Bushnell, and... well, that's about all that's worth anything. The raster scan games are acceptably emulated (although it's extremely difficult to get just the right resolution), but the vector titles have thin, dark lines that are almost impossible to see. If you can't see the game, why bother to play it?
    I'm not having a problem seeing the vectors - but then again I'm watching on a 50" TV. Also the bezels were really nice and surely what prompted the MAME development team to make this a feature in their software as well.

Grand Theft Auto 2: Combines ugly 2D graphics with frustrating 3D control for an experience you'll want to quickly forget (especially if you're a fan of the later games). I wouldn't call this grand theft... petty larceny is more like it.
    I LOVE GTA2. The first game was rought because the city map was just chaos and totally non-intuitive. But I'll never forget the first challenge I faced in GTA2... mowing down as many people and vehicles as I could in the tank, found in an alleyway. Ahhh. 2D goodness.

Q*Bert: I don't care what anyone else says... this sequel to the coin-op was frustrating, ugly, and generally obnoxious. I find the subtle phallic references kind of creepy, too. Stick with Q*Bert 3 on the Super NES.
    Nah. Frustrating? It's got the same controls as EVERY Q*BERT EVER MADE. I love it, it's a trip. Literally.

Test Drive 5: A weak, slightly silly racing game. This might have cut the mustard on the PSOne, but on the more powerful Dreamcast it just smells like it's cut the cheese. Check out the poorly designed cars, complete with box-headed drivers inside!
    Test Drive 5 was a PlayStation game. But yeah, they've never been good in my opinion. Even 6.

NOTE: I didn't disagree with everything Jess, but what fun would it be if you and I actually agreed on everything? None, I'd say.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hey, don't worry about it. I expect you to disagree with me about half the things I say... as you once put it, I'm like the "anti-Joe".
    I didn't give GTA2 much of a chance to be perfectly honest. I struggled with the control for a while, got frustrated, and put in a different disc. I didn't have any problems with GTA3, though... it seemed much more smooth and intuitive to me, despite the 3D playfields.
    Was the Dreamcast game Test Drive 6? Sorry... I guess I stopped keeping track of them after the second one. I heard Test Drive Le-Mans was superb, though... it's not something I'd want to play for twenty four straight hours, but I've heard it taps the power of the Dreamcast far more than Test Drive 6 had.
    Finally, have you tried the I-Spy game? I haven't, but I heard it was the pits even with the cute anime characters. I'd like to see your reaction to it.

JR

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think that I need to get a Dreamcast at some point so I can play some of these "worst" games! :grin:

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sega Smash Pack Volume 1. Twelve games, many of them great, all of them poorly executed, especially audio-wise. For example, in Altered Beast, the two-headed wolves look like pigs to me, and the Rattle Tails beeped instead of rattled. Not worth spending extra money on, and Gens emulates these games very well, if not perfectly (the ones on Genesis anyway).
    Dual Action Pampering (For Her Pleasure)
    Click the "WWW" button to go there.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sonic Adventure 1
    Fear your thoughts because they become your words
    Fear your words because they become your actions
    Fear your actions because they become your habits
    Fear your habits because they become your character
    Fear your character because it becomes your destiny

Therefore: Thinking and nurturing positive thoughts, at any point in your life, can change your destiny.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't know if DP wants cross-arguments here, but I can't keep silent.

Dynamite Cop 2 is hardly crappy. It is short, yeah, but it cost under $30 almost from the get-go. I got it $14.99. Any beatup fan is going to enjoy it a bit. You want crappy, Fighting Force 1 on PSX -- same kind of game, but so dull and slow and unfun with bad camera . DCop2 has faster and more zany action by far. IMHO.

ManekiNeko's Atari Anniversary -- do you know you can turn off the 'cabinet art', effectively increasing the gamescreen by about 50% larger? Those games ARE unplayable with the cabinet art "on".

okay, I agree that Tomb Raider Chronicles is really bad too. Tomb Raider: the last Revelation is a more enjoyable title that that, still not really good though. Why? Well Tomb Raider:TLR stuck to the Tomb raiding, it introduced a young Lara sequence for the first time, it had creepy shadows that climbed up walls and often made me jump until I realized it was just Lara's own shadow. It had more interesting tomb-like puzzles. It had zoom-by's at the beginning of levels to show you some of the upcoming level. All these little additions gotta be worth something, though the now-stale TR gameplay hasn't changed much. Chronicles -- ugh. It looks a bit more crisp but really, these urban environments suck and it's same old thing.

Sonic Adventure 1 'one of the worst' ? BAH!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Personally, I LOVED Illbleed and Blue Stinger, and felt that Sonic Adventure 2 sucked big time. Too diluted. Illbleed is funny as hell once you get used to it...cheesy, but in a good way, like the first RE.

Also, Timestalkers was the WORST game I played for the DC by FAR! I mean HONESTLY, whe ever heard of an RPG where everytime you leave the dungeon you return to level 1 again and have to earn up all over again!! Ok..they did it in Azure Dreams, but it wasn't quite the same...still... Timestalkers was absolute shite, and the story was lame..."Lets take people from all the different worlds we made games in, combine their worlds and make them figure out what the hell is going on!" BAH! They TOTALLY ruined the Landstalker/Dark Savior series with that game

Dynamite Cop was a decent game, but it was SO short that it was pointless..more like a demo than a real game. I also HATED Giga Wing, and I'm a shooter fan....I just can't stand that game....constant cheap death everywhere and no way around it!

@ redeye: That was Death Crimson Ox and I have it on the way in the mail..there are so few light gun games that I even want bad ones