Thread: My Own Little Bit of Ebay Insanity...

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Rogmeister's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default My Own Little Bit of Ebay Insanity...

Tonight, for no particular reason at all, I thought it would be a hoot to make a bid on something for every one of my gaming systems. My only rules for myself was that each item had to be an actual game (no peripherals or game guides), each had to be something I'd actually want to add to my collection, and that once I was overbid on anything, I'd let it go...I wouldn't bid on anything a second time. Then we'd see how many of the 14 items I bid on would I actually win.

So far I've been overbid on a set of 5 SNES games including Super Off-Road and Al Unser's Road to the Top (I already had copies of the other 3 games) and WWE Day of Reckoning for the GameCube. And I've won one item...sort of a cheat (almost) because it was a Buy It Now item, the Christmas edition of Outlaw Golf for the XBox. One other item ends tonight (less than an hour from now) and it's probably the one item out of the 14 I want most. All I'll say for now is it's for one of my Atari systems...

Perhaps I'll do a little follow-up whenever I lose/win the others...

So, am I nuts or what?

Great Puma (Level 12) -hellvin-'s Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sounds pretty nuts to me, but I buy WAY too much stuff on ebay as it is, so it's understandable. Keep us updated ;D.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Final update for today. I was the top bidder on the one auction I most wanted to win, Miner 2049er for the Atari 5200. I actually already have a copy of that game but this copy "Comes with original docs, registration card, cartridge and box." I got this for $13.19...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Okay, I've now been outbid on the PS1 item I'd put a bid on, Golden Tee Golf. Here's the complete list of the 14 auctions I bid on and the current status of each...

Rogmeister's Great Auction Adventure

1. Atari 2600: 10 carts, including Galaxian, Kangaroo & DK Jr.--Won
    2. Atari 5200: Miner 2049'er, boxed--Won
    3. Atari Lynx: 3 games including Robotron--Lost
    4. Atari Jaguar: Bubsy--Won

5. ColecoVision: Mr. Do!--Still Open (The longest auction, doesn't end for another 9 days)
    6. Sega Genesis: Sonic & Knuckles--Won
    7. Sega Saturn: 6 games including Madden 97 & 98--Lost
    8. Sega Dreamcast: House of the Dead 2--Won...for a penny!

9. Nintnedo SNES: 5 games including Super Off-Road--Lost
    10. N64: Major League Baseball with Ken Griffey Jr.--Won
    11. Nintendo GameCube: WWE Day of Reckoning--Lost

12. PS1: Golden Tee Golf--Lost
    13. PS2: No One Lives Forever--Won
    14. XBox: Outlaw Golf: 9 More Holes of X-Mas--Won

I should note that the auctions that contain more than one game will give me several extra copies of some games...I should start separating all my extras and put together a "trading box"...

Alex (Level 15)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SoulBlazer07

Sounds like a interesting idea.

Let us know also how much the bids were that you put in and how much you end up paying....and maybe even what the finished auctions that you were outbid on ended up at.
    "Four o'clock and all is well.....wish I was in bed, Sir."
    -- Guard in the Imperial City, Oblivion

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm actually having fun with this and may do it again from time to time but next time may make it for 10 of my systems...a nicer rounder number...since there are a few systems I don't have many (if any) wants for. I must confess that I only bid the starting amount on many of these auctions so I won't be surprised to lose quite a few of these. Of the ones I'm currently outbid on (but which haven't ended yet), I had a high bid of $11 on Golden Tee Golf and the bid now is a mere 50 cents more than that. My top bid on WWE Day of Reckoning was $29.99 and the top bid now is $30.00. How is that possible? I didn't think someone could overbid you by a mere penny? And my top bid on the SNES lot of 5 games was only $6 and I was overbid on that by 50 cents as well...which is okay because there weren't any games in that lot that I had to have.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rogmeister
    My top bid on WWE Day of Reckoning was $29.99 and the top bid now is $30.00. How is that possible? I didn't think someone could overbid you by a mere penny?
    I think that would happen if someone bid $30 and it had a reserve of $30, that's about all I could come up with. Weird.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That means that the only bid 30. if they bid higher the amount would be more. For example the current bid on an auction is $1 but the person has a proxy of 2.00 on it. The next person comes along with a bid of $2.01 so that person is the highest bidder it then raises up to the proxy of the first bidder plus the $.01 since that bidder bid more than the person putting $2 on the auction. Man, crap like that is hard to explain in type. It is a main reason why I always bid with some odd change like .37 on the end of my bids so it doesn't match the current high bidders proxy bid

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, nothing to worry about anyway, I guess. Time for another update...

I won "No One Lives Forever" for the PS2. No one else bid on it.

I also won House of the Dead 2 for the Dreamcast. No one else bid on this, either, so I got it for th starting bid of 1 cent! Of course, there's shipping to be added to it.

The auction for WWE Day of Reckoning ended and it went for $38 so I'm glad I lost by $8.01 and not by a mere penny!

Added Note

The N64 auction has ended and I won it, the first of the 2 Ken Griffey baseball games made for that system. No one else bid so I got it for the minimum of $4.97. This is the last auction to end before I leave for work at 5PM. One more ends today, the Saturn auction of sports & racing games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    tholly1983
    PSN
    tholly

pretty neat idea....i have too many systems right now to do something like that....but, maybe if i feel like blowing a lot of money in the summer when im working again i might try something like that
    Collection Pics--RFGen List--Excel Collection Spreadsheet
    Wii: 6005 4631 6751 2174 -- PS3: tholly -- X360: tholly1983

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, I lost the auction of 6 sports & racing games for the Saturn. My top bid had been $5 and I was overbid by 50 cents...obviously, I wasn't really expecting to win this one :P

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, I've been outbid on the Lynx auction of 3 games so another in the loss column...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I won the Genesis auction, for Sonic & Knuckles.

I'm starting to get the ones I won...Outlaw Golf: 9 More Holes of X-Mas arrived a day or two ago and House of the Dead 2 (Dreamcast) came today...

Later That Same Day...

Well, now I've won my Atari Jaguar bid...on a sealed game of Bubsy. I had this once before and kind of hated it because the slightest touch by anyone and you're dead. But I'm willing to try it again...

Only two auctions remain...I've already won 7 of the 12 completed so I'll finish up by winning at least half. The next to end will be a set of Atari 2600 games and that ends tomorrow. The last one, for a ColecoVision copy of Mr. Do!, still has another 6 days to go...

Then On Friday... I've now won the Atari 2600 auction. This was an auction for 10 different games...all loose with no manuals as far as I can tell. The games I'm getting are Dragster, Galaxian, Kangaroo, Venture, Star Voyager, Sea Quest, Donkey Kong Jr., Gorf and Riddle of the Sphinx.

And then there was one...auction, that is.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, I just got overbid on the last auction that was still open, bringing my little experiment to an official close.

Auctions I Won: Atari 2600, Atari 5200, Atari Jaguar, N64, Sega Genesis, Sega Dreamcast, PS2, XBox

Auctions I Lost: Atari Lynx, PS1, ColecoVision, Super NES, GameCube, Sega Saturn

That was fun...and more than a bit surreal

Added Note--Hold everything...I could still win the ColecoVision auction (game of Mr. Do) as the guy who overbid me has retracted his bid. There's still an excellent chance someone else will overbid me, though. I think this auction ends tomorrow.