Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DP Online Guide Suggestion Box

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default DP Online Guide Suggestion Box

Quote Originally Posted by hydr0x
    this is the huge problem with europe, every country got it's own versions in a lot of cases, so you can expect multiple entries for every game that hasn't got the -EUR code
    I know this has been gone over before, but in the case of PAL games I still think it'd be preferable to have a single entry for each game, and to list all the region variations in the description instead.

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

Quote Originally Posted by anagrama
    this is the huge problem with europe, every country got it's own versions in a lot of cases, so you can expect multiple entries for every game that hasn't got the -EUR code
    I know this has been gone over before, but in the case of PAL games I still think it'd be preferable to have a single entry for each game, and to list all the region variations in the description instead.
    Wholeheartedly agreed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I could definitely live with that, they confuse you when you want to make that superquick search. But, instead of adding them to the description, I would prefer seeing them as a new searchable field.
    As there's more Japanese stuff hitting the guide soon this would be a great help. Identifying loose carts and such by number is *so* much easier and exact than translating a Japanese symbol to English and guessing it's proper written form.

"I never should the games I sold and I have replaced them but they are not the game just a hollow shell of the same game." -RugalSizzler

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

Quote Originally Posted by davidleeroth
    I could definitely live with that, they confuse you when you want to make that superquick search. But, instead of adding them to the description, I would prefer seeing them as a new searchable field.
    As there's more Japanese stuff hitting the guide soon this would be a great help. Identifying loose carts and such by number is *so* much easier and exact than translating a Japanese symbol to English and guessing it's proper written form.
    Wholeheartedly agreed.

*adds to list of things to do*

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

While we're listing possible improvements, would it be possible for a search to search the 'AKA' field along with the title?
    So, for example, if I search for "Streets of Rage", it would also show the entries for "Bare Knuckle" (or at least it would once the JP Megadrive section is done).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

about the variations

i could live with a single entry per game AS LONG as there would be a new field in the db just for the pal variations or something like that, having them all in the description would make editing them a lot harder and also reading the description, i don't like that possibility... an additional field would worth thinking about though
    -Jan

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

While we're listing possible improvements, would it be possible for a search to search the 'AKA' field along with the title?
    So, for example, if I search for "Streets of Rage", it would also show the entries for "Bare Knuckle" (or at least it would once the JP Megadrive section is done).
    Ooh good idea.

Pac-Man (Level 10) vintagegamecrazy's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have just thought of a good idea for label variations. I like the way mvs games are listed, this should be used for the rest of the guide for label variations. Example, Gravitar silver label is listed in the description not as its own heading. There are a lot of games that variations are talked about but not listed. Listing them as separate entries makes the database too confusing. Here are entries that should be changed

Space Chase Monogrammed should be listed under the Space chase listing and the rarity should be in the cart description and not listed as its own game.

Miner 2049er (atari 5200) there should be a rarity and dollar amount in the description for the gold label variation. One of the other ones that comes to mind is "Action 52 for the nes. That game should have a rarity and price for the foil blue variation listed in the game description just as Gravitar does.

There are a few games that should have their own listing, those are the ones that are produced by two different companies, examples that come to mind are "Zone Ranger" for the 5200. The silver label is not a variation but is produced by telegames and not Activision, and in the 2600 section every game by atari and sears that is the same game has its own listing. The other one that should get its own listing is the re-release of Dragon Ball GT. (PSX) because it is Released by Atari and not Bandai. The other thing I had a question about is why is the Romox ECPC cartridge for the atari 2600 not listed? I did research on it and it is a legit cart even if it doesn't have a game in it, and it is no different than the green red and blue genesis carts.

Hopefully that cart will be listed and my ideas for label variations could be updated into the next update.
    If they made a movie out of your top five worst sins, what would it be rated?

Check out my list of trades on GameTZ Link

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

@vintagegamecrazy

the problem are not the label variations, in pal territories carts actually have different ROMS inside in different countries (i already placed all box variations with the same cart into the description field), so in fact, a german cart is even more different from a uk cart than a uk cart from a us cart that's the reason why i don't want this information to get lost in the description field and asked for a new additional field...
    -Jan

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

@vintagegamecrazy

the problem are not the label variations, in pal territories carts actually have different ROMS inside in different countries (i already placed all box variations with the same cart into the description field), so in fact, a german cart is even more different from a uk cart than a uk cart from a us cart that's the reason why i don't want this information to get lost in the description field and asked for a new additional field...
    I don't really see how it would get "lost" in the description field - it's there to see, and even with an extra 'variations' field sthe information would still be displayed in the same place - it would be in the same paragraph in one of the books, or on the same page in the Online Guide.

I didn't have a problem with the Megadrive list (although I appreciate there's not as many variations as the SNES), and tackled it like this:

The Jungle Book: R2/$4 [T-70176-05]. Also released as El Libro de la Selva [Spain, T-70176-06], Le Livre de la Jungle [France, T-70176-04], Das Dschunglebuch [Germany].

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The Jungle Book: R2/$4 [T-70176-05]. Also released as El Libro de la Selva [Spain, T-70176-06], Le Livre de la Jungle [France, T-70176-04], Das Dschunglebuch [Germany].
    yeah but how do you deal with this scenario (not a real example):

Super Mario World

Italy: Cart -EUR , Box -ITA
    France: Cart -FRH, Box -FRA
    Netherlands: Cart -FRH, Box -HOL
    Spain: Cart -EUR, Box -SPA
    Switzerland: Cart -FRG, Box -NOE
    Germany: Cart -NOE, Box -NOE
    UK: Cart -UKV, Box -UKV
    Australia: Cart -UKV, Box -AUS

this is an absolutely possible scenario, but how do you do it??
    -Jan

Pac-Man (Level 10) vintagegamecrazy's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I wanted Joe to see my last post, I am not referring to the non US lists, but to the american stuff it would be so much more easy to find stuff.
    If they made a movie out of your top five worst sins, what would it be rated?

Check out my list of trades on GameTZ Link

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

this is an absolutely possible scenario, but how do you do it??
    I'd say that the primary concern is to get a solid list of all released games, along with rarity/pricing info. In the vast majority of cases, I doubt there is much difference in demand or pricing between regional variations (granted, RPGs and other text-heavy games are the probable exceptions).
    For variations, I'd suggest concentrating on the carts rather than boxes - after all, unless a game was bought new, there's no way to guarantee that the cart/box hasn't been mis-matched together at some point. It probably doesn't happen that often, but it does mean that listing every known combination is a little fruitless.

For your Mario World example, something like this may be viable:

Super Mario World: R1/$? [SNSP-MW-xxx]
    Known carts: -EUR, -UKV, -FRH, -NOE.
    Known boxes: -ITA, -FRA, -HOL, -SPA, -NOE, -UKV, -AUS

Could something like that not work? You could add a brief comment if any particulr version was much rarer or expensive, but in most cases I doubt it would make a huge difference.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

For your Mario World example, something like this may be viable:

Super Mario World: R1/$? [SNSP-MW-xxx]
    Known carts: -EUR, -UKV, -FRH, -NOE.
    Known boxes: -ITA, -FRA, -HOL, -SPA, -NOE, -UKV, -AUS

Could something like that not work? You could add a brief comment if any particulr version was much rarer or expensive, but in most cases I doubt it would make a huge difference.
    you're right about the mixing up if it wasn't sealed, ALTHOUGH it's pretty obvious if a combination is correct or not

something LIKE your example would work, but i'll do something that lists cart/box combinations known rather than all carts and boxes..
    -Jan

ServBot (Level 11) SpasticFuctard's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

It searches the AKA field now too.

SF

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Groovey!

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

the only thing id say for the guides is to at more pal stuff or even a whole pal edition?
    So you think your a Dj? Go to My Djset.com and upload your mix, See if your good enough for the real world!
    Stuff for Sale

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

An 'Import Guide' is possibly in the pipeline, and there's plenty of PAL stuff in the works - the Sega side seems pretty well covered at the mo (Euro SMS, MD, 32X, Saturn & DC lists are all in the database, and the MegaCD section should be sorted soon), hydr0x is currently hard at work on the SNES section and I'm sure there's other stuff going on.
    Other systems need other section editors - are there any PAL NES or N64 experts, for example?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Other systems need other section editors - are there any PAL NES or N64 experts, for example?
    well, ruud is the nes expert... we should hire stan from nesworld for this, he's got an amazing list

N64? i only know some german guy who had n64 listings and that stuff on his homepage but i don't think he has enough knowledge for something like this and i also think he just doesn't fit into the team, sorry if that sounds rude

what other systems need to be covered??

CD-I
    3DO
    Gameboy
    Playstation

not the easiest ones

is anyone doing game gear?
    -Jan

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I've got a rough GG list, but it would need quite a bit of work before being submitted. I'll maybe think about it after the PAL MegaCD and JP Megadrive sections are done

I know PAL PSX stuff has been mentioned by QoF in the past but I don't know what stage it's at. Almost all pre-NES stuff currently in the guide lists only the PAL exclusives, so there's room for imporvement there aswell.

Also, there was someone on here who had a pretty good Australian N64 list - that would probably be a good base to expand upon for a full PAL listing. The Nintendo Europe website has a list of all releases aswell, but like most 'official' lists, there's probably a few errors & omissions.

re NesWorld Stan - you mean Mr. Stepanic, the one-man-SMS-price-raising phenomenon?
    He's a regular at sms.com these days aswell and has been horrendously over-paying for uncommon-rare games