Thread: Detroit's most renowned arcade closes its doors

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ubersaurus

Default Detroit's most renowned arcade closes its doors

Wizzards arcade, located on 8 mile, has, after 34 years of doing the arcade thing, finally decided to close its doors. When it started, it was basically a diner with some pinball games, but seeing where the money was, it quickly became a full fledged arcade. When video games started coming along, Wizzards was quick to pick up on the trend, and despite it's small size, they built up a following of hardcore regulars. Street Fighter II's arrival, however, was what truly made Wizzards great. It became THE place to go to if you wanted to play Michigan's finest at SF2, and during the Mortal Kombat 2 days, it was, simply put, the best place to play people. The employees and regulars tell stories of the MK2 machines lining a wall,with people on them all from open to close.

Fighting games fast became the cash crop of Wizzards, and they supported it with a vengeance. At a time when other arcades were dying or getting dance games, Wizzards kept going by picking up the latest fighting games from SNK and Capcom. It was one of the first arcades in the country to get Capcom Vs SNK 2, and one of the only ones to pick up Rage of the Dragons, KOF 2002, and Samurai Shodown V. Other fighters, such as 3rd Strike, Tekken, Guilty Gear X, MvC2, and SvC all saw runs of players. Huge tourneys were thrown there, such as the yearly May'n Event, or the 500 dollar tournament that had people across the country showing up. But ultimately, this single mindedness killed them.

Over the past year, regulars of the arcade just stopped showing up. The reasons were numerous-due to the arcade's reliance on fighters, there wasn't much else to play. Puzzle Fighter was HUGE there, yet it was shoved in a tiny cabinet in the back. Games that brought in alot of cash like San Francisco Rush and Guilty Gear X were rented out to other locations, or outright sold. Their single ultracade and Pac-man saw plenty of play, but apparently that never struck anyone to branch out. No rhythm games ever came to the place, which killed their demographic more, and as a final problem, the owners, who only lived a short distance away, took forever to fix broken machine parts (though the games in general had good controls, fighting fans are very meticulous). with these problems, the regulars just stopped seeing a reason to head up to the arcade. And for a place that depended on them, the owners were simply out of touch with the players. So, a couple weeks ago, it was decided-Wizzards will be closing. They're selling off some of the machines, and indeed the place will still be open for 2-8 more weeks, but, after that, it's gone. I've met alot of cool people through that arcade, and for many, it was a meeting place-a place to gather before heading off to do something, or just to see your buddies. Wizzards was the players, and this saturday, they're throwing one last hurrah, one last tournament, before it closes down for good. A fitting end to one of the biggest landmarks to a game player in Michigan. Though between Robotron's weekly Friday Night Gaming sessions, and another fellow's weekly Halo nights, the crew won't be falling out of touch, it just won't be the same without an arcade to invade.

Godspeed, Wizzards. You've given me some of the best memories of my life, and for that, I thank you.
    Check out the Kleppings!
    Make Way For Madness!
    "9 is a poor man's 11, and 11 is a Baker's Ten."
    Infinite Lives

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

ack that sux

Pretzel (Level 4) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Duncan1800
    PSN
    Duncan1800

Nice tribute. I've never even been there, but I understand.
    Active systems owned: Wii, X360, PS3
    Inactive systems owned: RCA, INTV2, NES, SMS, Genesis, Lynx, SNES, Saturn, PS1, GBC, DC, PS2, GBA, Xbox, GC, PSP, DS
    Systems wanted: Coleco, 7800, TG16, GG, 3DS, Vita, WiiU

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    tholly1983
    PSN
    tholly

i was never there...but it always sucks to hear about closing arcades
    Collection Pics--RFGen List--Excel Collection Spreadsheet
    Wii: 6005 4631 6751 2174 -- PS3: tholly -- X360: tholly1983

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

thats so sad

i wish i lived closer, because i would love to go to the final big get together.
    BLAST AWAY AND GO GO GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ubersaurus

Well, as it turns out, the final day of business for wizzards is going to be Sunday.

Things aren't all that rosy though, the only other good arcade in the area, the Putt Putt Golf center on Van Dyke(aka the Butterfly) is also in trouble. It's not quite as large as Pinball Petes, but it's pretty good sized regardless, and seeing it go would be a damn shame.

As for those tournaments, cvs2 starts at 5, mvc2 at 6, and 3rd strike at 7, if anyone actually felt the urge to see wizzards players go at it one last time.
    Check out the Kleppings!
    Make Way For Madness!
    "9 is a poor man's 11, and 11 is a Baker's Ten."
    Infinite Lives

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The Butterfly is in trouble as well?

Uber, I think there should be a post in the events forum, so that we can gather some people over there for the last night. I have never been there myself, only heard of it. I will try my hardest to get out there, so I'll be on the lookout.

Such a shame...
    Aqua Teen Hunger Force, Number 1 in the 'hood g!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

sorry man.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Gone.
    Last edited by Neonsolid; 07-06-2007 at 05:37 AM.

Great Puma (Level 12) -hellvin-'s Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sucks to hear that man. A couple of great classic gaming stores in my area have closed down (Arcadia and Gamedude's) and it really bites to see em go, as I have pretty much no palce to go but the thrift's to buy classic stuff. As far as arcade's, I know of none in my entire city, lol. I believe there is one in Phoenix somewhere called Dragon's Arcade or something but I've never been to it.