Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: PSP Release Date and Price

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

he didnt state it, he asked whether or not they did. chill on the flame thrower.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

And yet Sony will not let it fail.
    Agreed. It'll be like XBOX and sell poorly for years, then maybe when one or two games worth buying come out (don't expect any until 2006 at least) then it'll sell a little better. But expect to see 5 million copies of Pokemon for DS sold while only 500,000 PSPs sold total.

The one game im interested in for PSP MIGHT be that tengai makyou game. If it's a remake of Tengai makyou The 4th Apocalypse, I'll get a japanese (Knowing Sony, the PSP will be region locked) in order to play it. Until then, I'll be enjoying my DS.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kai123
    Sony doesn't know movies? Sony has more control now over movies and distribution rights than some of you seem to think. They recently purchased MGM. Get your facts straight before you bellow off about how sony has no control over movies. MGM made all of the James Bond movies and Pink Panther just to name a few of the thousands they now own.
    Who are you talking too?

So because they now own MGM, Sony will distribute special PSP only versions of all of their movies and stop releasing DVDs? Or Sony will release crappy DVDs to make their PSP releases seem way better?

Either way, being an exclusive format won't work unless the media is WAY cheaper. Or you get it for free with a DVD (but then what's the point?) The idea is nice, but without it being able to play real DVDs, I don't think it will ever become popular. Maybe, as someone already pointed out, it will become popular with cartoons and anime... but that's about it.

I've been thinking about picking up a next gen system because of my daily commute, and the features of the DS seem to be usable, while the features of the PSP look to be a marketing thing that won't catch on. I'm planning on holding off on both until next year, but right now I'm thinking that I'll end up with a DS. And I have no great love for Nintendo, it just seems that their product is more solid. I would love to see Sony jump in and take over a big market segment so that the level of portable competition remains high (you'll notice the DS is the biggest power leap in a Nintendo portable. Maybe it has to do with the fact that they will be competing with Sony...) As of right now though, I see the two systems as Nintendo = innovation, PSP = portable system I already have.

If the general public sees it the same way, Nintendo will continue their dominance and we'll be stuck on DS-level hardware until 2018 or so...
    Dan Loosen
    http://www.goatstore.com/ - http://www.midwestgamingclassic.com/
    ** Trying to finish up an overly complete Dreamcast collection... want to help? (Updated 5/3/10!) http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61333

Strawberry (Level 2) Pedro Lambrini's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SoulBlazer
    EDITED:
    The DS will still do better in sales because of the cheaper price, the better launch game selection (IMHO), and being out around four-six months before the PSP.
    I seem to remember the same thing being said about a certain Sega console before the PS2 was released (please, Gods don't let the same thing happen again

Jasoco: Don't pity me man. I don't have high hopes for the PSP, I'm dreading it! Don't get me wrong, I don't think that the UMD format will replace DVD but I do think that Sony will find a use for it.

I do think it's uninspired and I do think the thing will break easily and quickly but I also think the same of the PS2. The general public love the POS though!

As for MiniDisc - As a pre-recorded format it is dead but I know just as many people with MD players as with MP3 players and you can still buy them in high street shops right beside the blank discs - at least here in the UK you can!

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You all are clearly not getting it at all. They are not replacing DVDs with the UMD format. They will try to replace Dvd with Blu-ray. That is what you should be comparing it to.

I didn't hear anyone complaining when the GBA video carts came out. People were all for it. You couldn't record your own videos to it. So how is this different? They aren't forcing you to buy the movies, it is just an option after all. Besides what true inovation is the DS bringing to the table? Aside from touch screen and the new "map screen"?

If I remeber correctly the PSP had wireless multiplayer long before what we even knew what a DS was. The PSP is here to stay as far as I can see. Given the power it has I suspect the games will be more varied as well. Just wait for a true port of FF 7 to turn the tide just like when the PS fought the N64. x_x

In the end it is just the evil that is Sony that is turning the "hardcore" from it.
    Cool people I have bought stuff from on this board: orrimarrko kyosuke75 dave2236 video_game_addict cloudstrife29661 NESCollector75

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default you don't care

OK, let's get this out in the open. I have never gotten into Gameboy. Not GBC, GBA, SP. I like the little thing. It's cute. I just can't seen to get comfortable playing it or find a game that I can handle staring into the tiny screen at.

That being said, I'm very interested in a larger screen handheld (no, not TWO small screens.) I am very into Lynx (no, not the entire library), and PSP isn't too far from that by screen size, although it's probably smaller overall hardware wise. And I'm interested in a handheld that plays more sophisticated games. Bad 3D doesn't qualify for me, sorry (GBA.) If I can play GTA3 type games on a PSP it will go far for me, because then I can play them around my children.

Oddly, I'm not pushing for Nintendo in the handheld market, I'm pushing for Sony. Nintendo are the kings of underpowered handhelds. Their utter lack of competition has allowed them this luxury.

But then, I'm also pushing for XboxNext and Nintendo's next console platform over PS3. I enjoy my PS2 immensely, but I think that it's a somewhat stale, even underpowered platform. No matter, Sony's controllers can't be beat, and backwards compatibility is a huge asset. I just would hate to see other companies destroyed in a certain market (such as Nintendo, all around current console generation sales losers), when competition breeds innovation in this market.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

well it has 2 different wireless modes, ability to play demos at stores through wireless before buying, a touch screen, uses gba carts as well which is GARANTEED to bring in development (there are dozens of emulators for the gba, with the power of the DS, it can easily emulate all 16bit systems)

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I didn't hear anyone complaining when the GBA video carts came out. People were all for it. You couldn't record your own videos to it. So how is this different? They aren't forcing you to buy the movies, it is just an option after all. Besides what true inovation is the DS bringing to the table? Aside from touch screen and the new "map screen"?
    I think that's because the GBA didn't flaunt the video carts as a HUGE selling point of the system. When the PSP was announced, they trumpted the fact it would play movies. I don't see that being overly impressive.

Considering the fact that those GBA carts are being blown out now, I think it is a perfect comparison though.
    Dan Loosen
    ** Trying to finish up an overly complete Dreamcast collection... want to help? (Updated 5/3/10!) http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61333

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    petewhitley

You all are clearly not getting it at all. They are not replacing DVDs with the UMD format. They will try to replace Dvd with Blu-ray. That is what you should be comparing it to.
    Exactly. Why does anyone think that UMD media is intended as a replacement for DVD media? Show me where Sony has implied this. This isn't even up for debate. Blu-ray media is explicitly intended as the replacement for DVD media.

Quote Originally Posted by SoulBlazer
    Two, there is usually a little difference in prices between Japan and the US. Normaly it's more expensive over here.
    Actually launch prices in Japan are typically higher. The PS2 launched in Japan at 39,800 yen.

Alex (Level 15)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SoulBlazer07

But you KNOW Sony is losing money on it at that price and they also know Americans have more money to spend right now. Hence, $200 and $250 for our launch prices.

And they better get it out SOON less the DS rack up a impressive line up of games.
    "Four o'clock and all is well.....wish I was in bed, Sir."
    -- Guard in the Imperial City, Oblivion

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Boy, is there a lot of emotion in this thread! People seem to be quite disparate over the PSP. In the threads that have appeared regarding the DS most people seem to be thinking along the same lines but the PSP seems to get people worked into a lather.

Everyone seems to think (except Ianoid) that either the PSP or the DS will be wiped out. What about the GBA - an even cheaper, dedicated games machine and already has a massive installed user base - where will that sit in this? I don't think any machine will die. If the home console market can handle 3 formats why not the handheld market too. The games market is growing faster than any other industry just now, that means there are more people able to buy different consoles and allow all of them to prosper.

BTW: Did you know that last week there were more sales of the DS (obviously advance purchases) in Japan than PS2's? (From Games magazine) Just thought I'd mention it

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I was just looking on Lik-Sang and they say that Sony has announced that the PSP will be region-free. At least that's something positive about it.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ironically enough, the PSP was on the front page of the business section of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel today. Of note:

- The big thing that the picture said was that the PSP could play movies and would also be able to play games. Again, this is the wrong stance to take when it is a propreitary format and will bite them the same way that BETA and DIVX (was that it?) bit their respective companies.

- The price point will be $165.00 according to Sony, which is "much lower than analysts expected." It will launch "early in 2005."

I still think that the more that they trumpet the movie thing, the worse it will do but at least the price point is good. Now they just need some unique games for it...
    Dan Loosen

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

the price is 200, not 165. the newspaper is a bit off. regardless:

we are not arguing that UMD will replace DVD, we are saying that there is no place for 2 movie formats for gamers. many of us already bought DVDs (and will continue to do so) and i for one WILL NOT buy the movie again on UMD, and if its out on both DVD and UMD, i will obviously pick up the DVD version.

that is why we are saying UMD is doomed as a movie media.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by postulio
    the price is 200, not 165. the newspaper is a bit off.
    Well, we'll see. I haven't seen anything that confirmed it at $200.00 that I trust. I do tend to trust the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel as they don't usually screw up their facts too badly. Besides that, I wouldn't be too surprised if Sony lowered their cost to take on the DS on a more even-leveled playing field.

we are not arguing that UMD will replace DVD, we are saying that there is no place for 2 movie formats for gamers. many of us already bought DVDs (and will continue to do so) and i for one WILL NOT buy the movie again on UMD, and if its out on both DVD and UMD, i will obviously pick up the DVD version.

that is why we are saying UMD is doomed as a movie media.
    I agree with that, and that's what I'm saying. It's just that propreitary formats have always had the disadvantage no matter when they came out:

There wasn't room for Beta and VHS.
    There wasn't room for Mini-Disks and CDs.
    There wasn't room for DVD and DIVX.
    It seems that there wasn't room for those Nintendo video cartridges.
    It follows that there isn't room for DVD and UMD.

I just think it's crazy that the thing that Sony seems to be making into the biggest selling point of this portable system will require you to buy new media for it. If I want a portable system to play DVDs, I'll get something like this:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....7&type=product

Not just is it the same price, but I would have millions of things ready to play on it, I already have a DVD library and I can hook it up to my TV. Sony's flaunting of their movie tech needs to stop soon, or it is going to put them at a very competitive disadvantage.

That, and considering that Nintendo will have the holiday season to start the DS sales...

I just don't see this as a really smart move for Sony. I see the PSP as a sort of Game Gear that will hang around for a long time, but never actually become mainstream. As I've said, I would rather they do well because Nintendo has never put together a powerful handheld until the PSP was threatened, and it was obvious they had the ability to (by it's longer battery life and two screens). I hope that Sony continues to push Nintendo to make better hardware and vice versa. And then that better games follow both systems around.
    Dan Loosen

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm all about wait and see when it comes to the PSP.
    I REALLY don't like multi-devices. When you design anything you should design it to do one thing and do it well (coughplaygamescough). The problem I have with the PSP is the same problem I have with cell phones... I got an old nokia from tracfone because it was a phone PERIOD, no camera, no music quality ring tones, not an internet device, not a hack game system, no AOL IM service. But, do you know what it is? It's what I wanted in the first place... a cell phone. It cost me $20 for a no-frills cell phone, but when I was in the market for a phone we went to lotsa booths and talked to different carriers. I said "I want a phone only, nothing else." They looked at me like I had just stepped off the Mothership. "They don't make anything thats just a phone anymore." they said. To me that's a complete and total outrage. These people are supposed to be professionals in their market and they turn out to be nothing but IDIOTS! Looks to me like the PSP will be the "Jack-of-all Media... but Master of none"

Therefore... Ug wait 4 PSP... Ug think Sony Numbskulls. Ug hit DS on head with Ug-club and take back to cave to make sweet Ug-love. And that's the truth :P

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Interestingly enough...

I'm waiting to get a DS to find out if it has any PDA functionality. I have a PDA and I find it quite useful, but it is too much to carry around. If I can play awesome games with it at the same time as using to to schedule stuff...

If not, I'll eventually end up with something... probably.
    Dan Loosen

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    petewhitley

Quote Originally Posted by goatdan
    There wasn't room for Mini-Disks and CDs.
    As mentioned here and elsewhere, Sony's Mini-Disc format has been a huge success, particularly in Japan. No, not for pre-recorded media, but it's been seen lasting success nonetheless. There was room.

Quote Originally Posted by postulio
    the price is 200, not 165. the newspaper is a bit off.
    Crikey, can people just freaking understand that the U.S. M.S.R.P. hasn't been announced yet x_x

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So wait...If Sony announced the PSP is region free, does that mean the UMD movies are region free?

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The umd movies are region locked, but not the games. So if you wanted to get the system early, you can since it will play us games when they come out in 3 to 4 months.