Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Duncan1800
    PSN
    Duncan1800

Default [Xbox] Which number?

I know, I know, it's not in any of the books yet. But we might as well get a start.

So, I'm cataloging my collection, and I've gone through all my Xbox discs (only about 20 or so right now, including demos). The problem I'm seeing is that there's no consistent stock number to refer to. Here's what I see:

* Each disc has its own number (except for the ones that have no number).
    * Each box has its own number, not related to the disc number.
    * The UPC has no correlation to either of these numbers.
    * Third-party releases don't follow any set numbering system at all, unless...
    * ...they feel like roughly copying Microsoft's nonexistent system. x_x

Don't know if anyone else has looked into this, but it's frustrating. So far, I've been cataloging by the number on each actual disc to keep it somewhat consistent. But since some discs don't have stock numbers on them, I've had to use the box number instead.

Suggestions?
    Active systems owned: Wii, X360, PS3
    Inactive systems owned: RCA, INTV2, NES, SMS, Genesis, Lynx, SNES, Saturn, PS1, GBC, DC, PS2, GBA, Xbox, GC, PSP, DS
    Systems wanted: Coleco, 7800, TG16, GG, 3DS, Vita, WiiU

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you look closely, you will find a pattern to the numbering. The second set of five digits in the UPC code is duplicated on the spines on every game I looked at that had the spines numbered. Also, companies like EA that don't have spine numbers have numbers on the back of the package near the ESRB box that also fir this pattern. Some discs also have the same five digit number.

In a few cases, the digit to the far right was also added to the number, but for standardization, I would keep to the group of 5.

-Mike

Pretzel (Level 4) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Duncan1800
    PSN
    Duncan1800

Quote Originally Posted by mikeetler
    If you look closely, you will find a pattern to the numbering. The second set of five digits in the UPC code is duplicated on the spines on every game I looked at that had the spines numbered. Also, companies like EA that don't have spine numbers have numbers on the back of the package near the ESRB box that also fir this pattern. Some discs also have the same five digit number.

In a few cases, the digit to the far right was also added to the number, but for standardization, I would keep to the group of 5.

-Mike
    Thanks for the insight; I'll check into it and get back to you. My main concern, I think, is with titles that don't have UPC codes -- such as the Sega GT / JSRF two-in-one (and other pack-ins) or my growing set of in-store demo discs.

Oh, oh! Bonus follow-up question! Are Platinum Hits games numbered differently from their green-box cousins? (I suspect they are, since the discs are printed differently as well.)
    Inactive systems owned: RCA, INTV2, NES, SMS, Genesis, Lynx, SNES, Saturn, PS1, GBC, DC, PS2, GBA, Xbox, GC, PSP, DS

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan
    My main concern, I think, is with titles that don't have UPC codes -- such as the Sega GT / JSRF two-in-one (and other pack-ins) or my growing set of in-store demo discs.
    Pack-ins will be tough. The SGT/JSR disc might have a number on the spine (64xxx) or could have the numbers of the two original titles (64008 for JSR, not sure about SGT). I'm sure there will be some cases where there is no clear part number.

As for kiosk demos, the only one I have is 3.3 which has a SKU of H27-00072. Using the "5 digit rule" I would call it 00072. The only numbers that are the same on the disc and sleeve are "1003" and the part number, but I would need others to compare it to to decide if either of these numbers are useful.

Oh, oh! Bonus follow-up question! Are Platinum Hits games numbered differently from their green-box cousins? (I suspect they are, since the discs are printed differently as well.)
    The UPC and spine numbers are the same on the ones I have both of. That's no surprise though, since it is the same item, just repackaged. Nintendo and Sony don't issue new part numbers for PC/GH titles and unless there is a major change to the contents (ie Gamecube Pac Man World 2 w/ Pac Man Vs), the UPC would stay the same as well.

-Mike

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    tholly1983
    PSN
    tholly

Quote Originally Posted by mikeetler
    Quote Originally Posted by Duncan
    My main concern, I think, is with titles that don't have UPC codes -- such as the Sega GT / JSRF two-in-one (and other pack-ins) or my growing set of in-store demo discs.
    Pack-ins will be tough. The SGT/JSR disc might have a number on the spine (64xxx) or could have the numbers of the two original titles (64008 for JSR, not sure about SGT). I'm sure there will be some cases where there is no clear part number.

As for kiosk demos, the only one I have is 3.3 which has a SKU of H27-00072. Using the "5 digit rule" I would call it 00072. The only numbers that are the same on the disc and sleeve are "1003" and the part number, but I would need others to compare it to to decide if either of these numbers are useful.

The UPC and spine numbers are the same on the ones I have both of. That's no surprise though, since it is the same item, just repackaged. Nintendo and Sony don't issue new part numbers for PC/GH titles and unless there is a major change to the contents (ie Gamecube Pac Man World 2 w/ Pac Man Vs), the UPC would stay the same as well.

-Mike

SGT/JSRF has no number on the spine

at the bottom of each side under the Not For Resale label is the following:

0802 Part No. X09-05874

on the actual DVD disc is the following

0802 Part No. X09-05873
    Collection Pics--RFGen List--Excel Collection Spreadsheet
    Wii: 6005 4631 6751 2174 -- PS3: tholly -- X360: tholly1983

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

If anyone's seriously working on an XBox list, PLEASE GET IN TOUCH WITH OUR MEMBER "spoon". He's got the database template for the XBox and is as of now our section editor.

I'm SURE he could use your help and a system like this could certainly use some co-editors.

Who's going to be the brave soul to take on the PS2?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    tholly1983
    PSN
    tholly

Quote Originally Posted by digitalpress
    If anyone's seriously working on an XBox list, PLEASE GET IN TOUCH WITH OUR MEMBER "spoon". He's got the database template for the XBox and is as of now our section editor.

I'm SURE he could use your help and a system like this could certainly use some co-editors.

well, as a lot of you know from the Tribes contest, I'm an Xbox fan....so, im going to be contacting you spoon and seeing what I can help you with.

PS2.......good luck with that one.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Duncan1800
    PSN
    Duncan1800

What, no one volunteered?

I'd be willing to lead a team effort, though. I make great lists...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't own a ton (yet), but the info on the 51 US and 2 JPN I have is available if needed.

Not me, but I have 149 US and 93 JPN games I'll offer to get info on.
    What have you done America?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    tholly1983
    PSN
    tholly

Quote Originally Posted by tholly

well, as a lot of you know from the Tribes contest, I'm an Xbox fan....so, im going to be contacting you spoon and seeing what I can help you with.

PS2.......good luck with that one.
    i have been in contact with spoon....have submitted the info that i had at the time and am waiting to see how it looks when it gets uploaded

we will continue to work on this project and get the online guide for xbox up to par with all the other systems

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Duncan1800
    PSN
    Duncan1800

I'm waiting for a PM back from DigitalPress, but I've volunteered my list-creation services for the PS2. There's only, what, around 1000 games or so? Maybe less! It's not that bad!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    tholly1983
    PSN
    tholly

spoon and myself are still unsure about all the different stock numbers

anyone with any info, please share