Thread: Can someone help me with video lines, static lines, or...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Default Can someone help me with video lines, static lines, or...

whatever it is causing little white lines to show up in my videogames.

I heard someone mention a while back that these lines were cause by static interferance, or something, and while it isn't that bad i'm sick of it.

Anybody know what I can do? I noticed it on my Xbox, but it does the same thing when my bud brings his Gamecube over. What could be causing it?!

Additional Description: They are little speckled flashing white lines that show up in polygons, usually in random corners.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

depending on the type of problem you're having (white lines can actually mean a lot of different things), the solution varies. The first thing you want to try (since it's happening with different types of cables) is making sure there aren't any power cords that are draped over the cables, and that they aren't being routed around a receiver or the tube of a television. the second thing to check is the TV itself. it could be that the inputs on the TV aren't shielded well, in which case a new TV might be the answer. Also, white specks that show up on the seams of polygons is just a graphic glitch, not much you can do about that. Finally, if you're noticing a lot of dot crawl (edges around straight lines always looking like they are "moving" or "vibrating"), the solution is to get a TV with a higher resolution. If it's an older TV, it may not have a high horizontal resolution. Newer TVs have a higher resolution in general, not just HDTV's. that's about all I can think of, maybe someone else has another solution...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Well, i've had my TV for 5 years now, it's a 32" Hitachi. I'm going to get a new one soon, but I really want to wait till the Digital standard is a little more costly, and more referenced, and defined. I don't wanna buy a $1,000 TV, and have to tout it back in 2 months cause it's already inferior, so an alternative method at the moment would be nice.

I'm going to take your advice, and check all my wires, but that's the problem, I have so many, I guess anything could be causing it.

Thanks for the thoughts.