Thread: Wireless networking and Xbox Live

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Default Wireless networking and Xbox Live

I signed up with SBC and got their "pro" DSL package. Part of the deal included a $50 wireless router with "enhanced" 802.11b wireless connectivity. I also got a free Xbox Live Starter Kit. Now I can listen to high bandwidth streaming audio with my laptop in the basement (two floor between me and the router) but I'm wondering how well 802.11b will work with an Xbox. Does anyone game on XBL with a wireless set up and if so what do you have and how well does it work?

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think it would work just as well as a computer would. The adapter is a little expensive though.
    Cool people I have bought stuff from on this board: orrimarrko kyosuke75 dave2236 video_game_addict cloudstrife29661 NESCollector75

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Flack
    Ah, I forgot that discussion. Thankee kindly.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

802.11b??? god they are cheaping it. I picked up the xbox wireless adapter awhile back from amazon for 50 or so, and it works great 802.11g. YOU shoulda just saved the money from the router and jsut gone down and bought one, would've been much better off, as now your transfer capabilities aren't as good.
    You did what? With who? For how many cookies?
    Always looking for promotional materials and classic gaming commercials in print and video form
    my feedback-http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48618

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by brykasch
    802.11b??? god they are cheaping it. I picked up the xbox wireless adapter awhile back from amazon for 50 or so, and it works great 802.11g. YOU shoulda just saved the money from the router and jsut gone down and bought one, would've been much better off, as now your transfer capabilities aren't as good.
    And this post is supposed to answer my question how?

I forgot to mention that I also received an SBC voucher for $50 for "Switching from cable" so essentially the DSL wireless router for free.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

802.11b is PLENTY fast to do XBOX Live. In fact, it's actually faster than your DSL connection is anyway so it really doesn't matter. G is faster but would only affect local stuff, and it has a shorter range and then it kicks back down to B anyway.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I did a little research on other message boards as Google seemed to only cough up places where I can buy wireless routing devices. I figured I'd ask here because this place is usually surrounded by pretty smart cookies. And people too.

Anyway, I (and probably others) have to dispell the idea that the Xbox is something special when it comes to networking. It's not. No special rules apply. After establishing that and reading other people's experiences, I did a little more research (as to be honest I wasn't up on the specs of 802.11g).

Now to answer my own question and hopefully others as well.

In my situation I have one computer hooked up to a DSL router (has the DSL modem built in) via ethernet cable. My DSL package gives me 3 Mbps download speeds. The router has 802.11b wireless capablity, meaning it will pump out 11 Mbps (mega bits per second, not unlike some network cards) using the 2.4 GHz frequency (like a cordless phone).

An 802.11g router is capable of transferring up to 54 Mbps (sheesh, that's practically 54 MB per second).

For me an 802.11b set up will work just fine. Since I only get 3 Mbps download speed and assuming there is no lag in XBL or the Internet, I'll have technically only used about 1/3 of my bandwidth between my Xbox and my router. If I had an 802.11g setup, I'd still only be using 3Mbps so 51 Mbps bandwidth would be a waste.

802.11g is beautiful if I had a network and was transferring large files or streaming media from one to the other. That's where the real benefit comes from.

So if you are looking for wireless gaming action for your Xbox but don't want to drop a lot of money on hardware and don't plan on having a network, 802.11b is a good choice and is generally cheaper than 802.11g.

Alex (Level 15)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SoulBlazer07

Let me know how you make out.

I still want to go wireless with my XBox but I'm not willing to shell out $65 for a Linksys wireless router for it (the best price I could find either in person or online for it.)

I started another thread complaining about the prices of those suckers also.
    "Four o'clock and all is well.....wish I was in bed, Sir."
    -- Guard in the Imperial City, Oblivion

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SoulBlazer
    Let me know how you make out.

I still want to go wireless with my XBox but I'm not willing to shell out $65 for a Linksys wireless router for it (the best price I could find either in person or online for it.)

I started another thread complaining about the prices of those suckers also.
    Will do. I still have to wait a few weeks for my XBL Starter kit to arrive.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

mmmm Wireless I only use my laptop for gaming/normal computing now since I can go anywhere with wireless. Its sad though cuz now my gaming rig just sucks up dust and burns electricity. I definately want to grab a wireless access point for ps2 or xbox gaming.