Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dreamcast VGA Box

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Dreamcast VGA Box

I am now highly interested in one of these (I am getting one as soon as I get my next paycheck).

If I remember right, some games do not work with a vga box, but there are ways around that. Either that or there is a vga box that plays every game. Anybody know anything about these. As of right now, I do not own a single 3rd party accessory for my Dreamcast (minus the shell, but it was said on the forums that the company hjad permission from SEGA). I am going to try and find a 1st party one, but if a 3rd party one works and won't do anything to my dc (I live my dc and don't want to mess it up), than I might as well get one of those.

Feedback please, as I have my monitor from my dos computer that just sits (the computer didn't start out as a dos computer, I just turned it into one).

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

Default Re: Dreamcast VGA Box

Quote Originally Posted by SegaAges
    I am now highly interested in one of these (I am getting one as soon as I get my next paycheck).

If I remember right, some games do not work with a vga box, but there are ways around that. Either that or there is a vga box that plays every game. Anybody know anything about these.
    If there's a VGA box that plays every game it's news to me... and I want one! I've got a VGA box on my Dreamcast and use it quite a bit. I've been saying for a long time that I'd compile a list of games that work, don't work, and can be "tricked" into working. For example: Marvel vs. Capcom 2 works. Rush 2049 works. Atari Anniversary works. Crazy Taxi works. But pop in Sno-Cross and your monitor light will just blink. Some of the games that don't work, like Jet Set Radio, can be "tricked" in by loading the game with the monitor turned off and then turning the monitor on after the VGA check (usually just give it a minute or two).

If you have a specific title you want to know works or doesn't, just ask. I have sticky notes on most of the ones that don't.

Note: I have a third-party VGA box.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have a Sega 1st party VGA converter. I haven't tested it with many of my games though. If anyone wants to give me a list of games that don't work on a 3rd party VGA box I will try and test the same games on my box and see if there is a difference.
    We saved some guy's life. Killed some vicious murdering lichs and blew up something big. I'd call that a pretty good night.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Not that I've tried, but I don't see how a 3rd party VGA box could hurt anything. It doesn't send a signal back to the DC (like controllers do) so I don't see how it could cause any damage. I think we'd have heard about by now if one of them had a problem.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I was unaware any 1st-party VGA boxes were ever produced.

I've got 2 VGA boxes. One of them will not run Rez, no matter what I've tried. I *think* the box is made by 'Performance', and I *think* my copy of Rez is a UK version. I can verify both of those facts this evening. And I've never tried Rez on the other VGA box, so I can't answer for it.
    "A 'Radical Centrist' ??? Isn't that like being a Take-No-Prisoners Pussy? " - Stephen Colbert
    My Resume
    My Blog

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

Quote Originally Posted by NoahsMyBro
    I was unaware any 1st-party VGA boxes were ever produced.

I've got 2 VGA boxes. One of them will not run Rez, no matter what I've tried. I *think* the box is made by 'Performance', and I *think* my copy of Rez is a UK version. I can verify both of those facts this evening. And I've never tried Rez on the other VGA box, so I can't answer for it.
    I don't know who makes my VGA box... but Rez (mine is the Japanese version) works OK for me. Just another clue to the overall mystery.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Hopefully you guys will find this link handy!

http://www.shinforce.com/dreamcast/V...patibility.htm

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

For the most part, the games that work had a little symbol on the back of the boxes that say that they do or do not work.

Also, just about any VGA Adaptor that you get is pretty good. I have about six different ones, and I haven't had any problems with any of them. If you want to get a cheap one, I have a bunch of extra's from our Midwest Gaming Classic display that I would be willing to part with now
    Dan Loosen
    http://www.goatstore.com/ - http://www.midwestgamingclassic.com/
    ** Trying to finish up an overly complete Dreamcast collection... want to help? (Updated 5/3/10!) http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61333

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

Quote Originally Posted by Flack

Whoa! That is EXACTLY what I wanted to compile myself. I'm glad someone else did it already! Printing and keeping it handy. Thanks, Flack!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by digitalpress
    Quote Originally Posted by Flack

Whoa! That is EXACTLY what I wanted to compile myself. I'm glad someone else did it already! Printing and keeping it handy. Thanks, Flack!
    It's still missing some games though, IE Mars Matrix.

Oh and DONT get a naki vga box. I've had two and they both broke on me. I use a Blase VGA box and it works great.
    (Oo (xxx) oO) (Oo (xxx) oO)
    .o xxxxxxxx o . o xxxxxxxx o

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

man am I glad I posted this. This is honestly the biggest help I have had from posting anything.

Not only did I get a link, but somebody said they are selling them. Everybody, thanks.

Also, my monitor is a little old (it is from an old 486 Packard Bell), will it still look nice on the monitor, or should I hook it up to the monitor I use for my regular computing?

It would be nice to hook it to this extra monitor, but there would be no point if it looks the same as my television. Please let me know fellas. A bunch of you have these, and I want to join the bandwagon.

EDIT: flack - the list you gave is awesome, but it doesn't say any of the ones where you can trick the vga box (well I only know of one now, jet grind radio), anybody try tricking these with any other games other than jgr and have it work?

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The list seems a little short to me. For instance, it only has the first 2K series of games on there, and no 2K1 and so on.

Also, I've had problems with Import Shenmue on a VGA Box...

Grandia 2 which is not on that list works great. So does Headhunter. And almost every homebrew
    Dan Loosen
    http://www.goatstore.com/ - http://www.midwestgamingclassic.com/
    ** Trying to finish up an overly complete Dreamcast collection... want to help? (Updated 5/3/10!) http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61333

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The way I am looking at it is that the games with sequels will work as well (like the 2k game sequels). sonic adventure 2 as well even though it isn't on there.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Mars Matrix works fine on my DC and Vga box.
    Cool people I have bought stuff from on this board: orrimarrko kyosuke75 dave2236 video_game_addict cloudstrife29661 NESCollector75

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

Quote Originally Posted by goatdan
    The list seems a little short to me. For instance, it only has the first 2K series of games on there, and no 2K1 and so on.

Grandia 2 which is not on that list works great. So does Headhunter. And almost every homebrew
    Yeah there's lots of stuff missing now that I scan thru. Looks like a good starting point but it seems I still have a task before me. I don't like incomplete lists, in case you hadn't noticed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by digitalpress
    Quote Originally Posted by goatdan

Yeah there's lots of stuff missing now that I scan thru. Looks like a good starting point but it seems I still have a task before me. I don't like incomplete lists, in case you hadn't noticed.
    you, no, never

when i finally get a vga box, i can try it with some of my old school bootlegs to see what works and what doesn't (I have around 250 at a friend's house because I try not to keep that crap in my house unless I have a reason, like this).

Also, nobody answered my question. I am really interested to know if my old monitor will work for this, or if I should go ahead and use my newer one. my older one is an extra, so it would be easier to use that.

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) rbudrick's Avatar
    Buying the rare ones, moments before you get there.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Default d

I don't see any reason why your monitor won't work. But honestly, the only way to try is to test it. :-(

-Rob
    The moral is, don't **** with Uncle Tim when he's been drinking!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

excellent, now all i need to do is have more than $20 to my name so i can buy one.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

may i ask what a vga monitor is?
    i just started collecting dreamcast stuff and im still new to the aewsomness that is the dc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

we are talking about a vga box, which is a utility that allows you to hook your dreamcast up to a monitor instead of a television for a better picture