Thread: A quick question before I buy the guides...

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default A quick question before I buy the guides...

I want to buy both the collectors guides (ASAP - as in right now if possible) for use on my website - that is I want to use them for the games lists - just go through them and enter in each title and release date and stuff... is that okay? I mean I don't want to use any of the original written stuff, I plan on writing my own reviews and stuff, I just want to use the guides because it will be easier than me having to look at the boxes of all of my games to see exactly who released them and when. I don't want to scan anything - basically, for example, I just want a guide of all the Master System games that were available and all the info.

Anyway, will there be any problems with me buying and using the books for the development of my website? Another footnote - I don't want to use the rarity numbers or worth or anything - just the lists.

Thanks

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Um... are people not understanding the question or did I post this in the wrong spot? If I need to re-word this - let me know, if I need to post it elsewhere (which I may end up doing anyway - someone can just delete this) let me know that too. I'm just a little hesitant to spend $50 and have someone email me asking what source I used to construct my system lists and upon hearing that I used DP guide, asking me to take them down for something.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Strictly speaking, you cannot copyright facts or publicly known information, but you can copyright a specific presentation of those facts or information.

Chaos Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mayhem64

I'm sure Joe will clarify, but if you are just using the guides to produce a list of what was released for a system (and not using the inherent infomation of description, rarity or price etc) then I can't see why it would be a problem (though you could still credit DP somewhere for providing the list).

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Joe have produced the guide so it's the only one who can answer this question.
    Oh eBay! you are such a pain, I am addicted to you like crack cocaine. You offer things I cannot find in stores,You are the pimp, and we are all your whores.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm sure Joe will clarify, but if you are just using the guides to produce a list of what was released for a system (and not using the inherent infomation of description, rarity or price etc) then I can't see why it would be a problem (though you could still credit DP somewhere for providing the list).

Should I email or PM Joe? (he's digitpress, right?) And yeah, I certainly wouldn't be using any of the information or other content - just the lists. And I did plan on giving a credit to DP if I got the go ahead to do it.

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

I hadn't seen this message in my morning travels but I did get your PM. For the record (anyone else following along ) here's the response:

Thanks for the note and you're right, I really have no problem whatsoever with what you're proposing. However, if you've scanned around this site in general you may notice that we're an organization of gamers and game sites - it is this networking that's made our database a possibility and a continuing, improving project.

That said, I'd hope that we could partner in some way. I can make things much easier for you than even having to type in the lists - I could, for example, provide electronic lists for the systems you'd be interested in. In return, I'd like to discuss how we might incorporate your data into the overall database. For example, it would be mutually beneficial if we had a link to your game review on the page where the game details reside (don't know if you've seen the online version of our database http://www.digitpress.com/DP/cmf/search.cmf ).

Partnering and networking with dedicated individuals is what helps the hobby grow. So let me know if you'd be interested as well as any thoughts you might have in this area.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well I responded to Joe in PM form, but just to put some closure to this thread on my end - again for those following along - I did say I'd be very much interested in providing anything I could for DP and was very pleased to hear that he'd be happy to help me too.

So glad I just asked - thanks for those who suggested going straight to the source.