Thread: Trade-in deal at ebgames: Upgrade to a PSTwo

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Cats Four Pounds

Re: the new PStwo

It not have iLink ports, nor "Hats For Clowns".

It Poop!
    (\ /)
    (O.o) ---XBL GT: RHINDLE
    (><)
    /_|_\ ---PH34R TEH BUNNY

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Jibbajaba

I was told at EBGames that the PSTwo is a progressive scan DVD plaer, while the normal PS2 is not. Don't know if any of that is true, just passing it on. If it's true, then that would be another reason to pick one up.

Chris

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by The Collector
    Hey Fantasia, how likely is it that I can still pre-order the new PSTWO? If its true that its gonna be hard to get my grubby mitts on can you put one on hold for me? I dont know which location you work at but if you let me know i'll come in and make my trade-in. PM me, thanks.

~bill
    As of October 5th EB already met its pre-order maximum nationwide... might still want to put a preorder on to guarantee yourself one in the second shipment tho.

PROS- do it now and you still get the awesome tradein deal. You can't preorder a system that's already out, regardless of whether a store has one in stock or not.

CONS- Might be able to find it somewhere else before EB's second shipment comes. Then you'll have $150 of EB credit which, granted, you could spend eventually but will not be doing you much good until you do.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Is there a tentative date to expect the second shipment?

~bill
    My XBL Gamer Tag is : NipRing

MVS 29"CANDY CAB SERIAL: 98515
    Upgrades include 6 Slot MoBo, Oversized Speakers,
    MV-IC Memcard reader w/ Headphone Jacks, UniBios 2.0

I Snatch Kisses...And Vice-Versa

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Half Japanese
    PSN
    HalfJapanese

I was told at EBGames that the PSTwo is a progressive scan DVD plaer, while the normal PS2 is not. Don't know if any of that is true, just passing it on. If it's true, then that would be another reason to pick one up.

Chris
    That is wrong information. Not entirely wrong, as I'll explain, but taken as a whole, that nugget is false. The last batch of ps2's WERE indeed progressive scan. This was denoted by a yellow "+" notation in the corner of the box. I believe these bundles have been out since at least this time last year, so chances are at least 75% of the ps2's sold in that window of time were progressive scan models. Earlier runs of the ps2 were not progressive scan, making the statement not totally untrue.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

since when did anyone on these boards trade in any games crapy or not. I thought these were the boards of "wait a few years even the new PSTwo will be $50"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Guess that's just you and me, Classicb. I've been waiting for three years for the PS2 to get down to the right price, and it's still not there!

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Jibbajaba

Quote Originally Posted by classicb
    since when did anyone on these boards trade in any games crapy or not. I thought these were the boards of "wait a few years even the new PSTwo will be $50"
    I dont ever get rid of games or systems that I don't already have, but with this deal I'm not getting rid of anything, really. I am trading in launch sports titles and a launch PS2 (therefore no progressive scan DVD) for a brand new PSTwo. After my PS2 already breaking once, I don't really have much faith in it anymore, so I am glad to be getting the new one. I wouldnt see any reason to keep my PS2 and then buy a PSTwo when theprice drops. Similarly, when the GBA SP came out, I traded my GBA for some store credit towards the new system.

Chris

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

To those who trade in DRE systems that are "barely working": It's theft, it's immoral, and it's the reason why no one can buy a decent piece of used equipment. We call it adverse selection - those most likely to trade in the system are those who know their system barely works.

If you wouldn't steal from a store, or if you'd be upset if you bought a DRE system, don't be the jackass that'd trade one in.

That said, I'm definitely trading my (fully working, if 3 yr old) system in for a smaller ps2. Always looking to conserve space.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Jibbajaba

Quote Originally Posted by kevincure
    To those who trade in DRE systems that are "barely working": It's theft, it's immoral, and it's the reason why no one can buy a decent piece of used equipment. We call it adverse selection - those most likely to trade in the system are those who know their system barely works.

If you wouldn't steal from a store, or if you'd be upset if you bought a DRE system, don't be the jackass that'd trade one in.

That said, I'm definitely trading my (fully working, if 3 yr old) system in for a smaller ps2. Always looking to conserve space.
    I am assuming that your post is not directed at me, but just to clarify, my system had DRE errors but was repaired by Sony and is now in full working order. I fully agree that trading in a DRE system is theft.

Chris

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jibbajaba
    Quote Originally Posted by kevincure

I am assuming that your post is not directed at me, but just to clarify, my system had DRE errors but was repaired by Sony and is now in full working order. I fully agree that trading in a DRE system is theft.

Chris
    Even when there's a deal where trading in a broken system is ok? We take broken systems in all the time ($30 a pop) and then ship them back to the factory, where they are either discarded as beyond hope or repaired and resold at a large profit.

If the system works when we test it, and then craps out shortly afterwards, the customer brings it back and exchanges it for another one (within 2 weeks, or 6 months if they bought the replacement plan) and we then do the exact same thing- ship it back to be repaired and resold if possible.

Not really theft at all.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You buy a used system at EB that has DRE, and three weeks later the system starts acting up. The seller knew it had problems and traded it in as working. Sucks for the buyer. That's theft, and the system needs to be traded in as non-working.

Jibba...not directed toward you, but certainly some other people's comments in this thread (and at other times on this board) have implied that these trade-in deals are easy scams.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Fantasia -- Jibbajabba reproduced the offer's fine print, which stated that you have to use the credit in a transaction at the same time that you trade in your stuff. In other words, no hoarding the credit for later.
    (\ /)
    (><)
    /_|_\ ---PH34R TEH BUNNY

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

its not my fault if sony are such morons they cant make a system that doesnt break out of the blue, so if i have a system i took care of, that just started acting up i could care less if EB takes it as working, and i also dont have any sympathy for the idiot who buys it afterwards, it just shows they are uneducated and should have researched better before there purchase, only system i ever bought refurbished was from EB and was a broken saturn, ever since then ive been wiser and just saved the extra up for a new console.
    BLAST AWAY AND GO GO GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by max 330 mega
    its not my fault if sony are such morons they cant make a system that doesnt break out of the blue, so if i have a system i took care of, that just started acting up i could care less if EB takes it as working, and i also dont have any sympathy for the idiot who buys it afterwards, it just shows they are uneducated and should have researched better before there purchase, only system i ever bought refurbished was from EB and was a broken saturn, ever since then ive been wiser and just saved the extra up for a new console.
    First, that's a rather uncharitable position to take.
    Second, if you did take "your friend's 'shitted up' PS2" in to EB, isn't it possible that they would notice said shitted upness?
    Third, doesn't EB give you a warranty on used systems? I mean, Gamestop warrants used systems for what, 30 days? 90 days?
    Fourth, it looks silly in an online forum to rail against "morons" and "uneducated" people while employing some of the most atrocious grammar I've seen all week.

I don't think that people buying used systems, even used PS2, are necessarily idiots who deserve to have their money flushed down the toilet. Although I am sorry about your broken Saturn. Didn't you take it back and get a refund or replacement?
    (\ /)
    (><)
    /_|_\ ---PH34R TEH BUNNY

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by max 330 mega
    i also dont have any sympathy for the idiot who buys it afterwards, it just shows they are uneducated and should have researched better before there purchase

So where did I put my magical goggles of infrared DRE detection?

You need to get smacked down, that's crazy talk.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bargora
    Fantasia -- Jibbajabba reproduced the offer's fine print, which stated that you have to use the credit in a transaction at the same time that you trade in your stuff. In other words, no hoarding the credit for later.
    Incorrect.

All you have to do is put the money down on a preorder for something (or several somethings). Then you can cancel the preorders at any time and spend the money as you like.

Second, if you did take "your friend's 'shitted up' PS2" in to EB, isn't it possible that they would notice said shitted upness?
    We test every system we take in on every disc that it should be able to read (PS2= silverback, purpleback, PS1, DVD, Xbox= xbox games, DVD, etc.) and if it fails one it's broken. However there is no realistically reproducible way to tell if a system will or will not crap out on you at some random date. I kind of agree with the original poster that somebody buying a used PS2 has whatever they get coming to them. I counsel my customers against used PS2s unless they really need to save money, even though it's much better (more profitable) for our store to sell used systems.

Third, doesn't EB give you a warranty on used systems? I mean, Gamestop warrants used systems for what, 30 days? 90 days?
    14 days for defective returns on new or used systems
    Extendable to 6 months for $11 on a PS2 or Xbox, $8 on a GC or GBA

Alex (Level 15)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SoulBlazer07

Hey, I bought both my GC and XBox used from EB. No problems with either. My XBox was refurbished and with a Samsung drive, also.
    "Four o'clock and all is well.....wish I was in bed, Sir."
    -- Guard in the Imperial City, Oblivion