Thread: NES Fillers (among other things)

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default NES Fillers (among other things)

Aloha -

I've been collecting Nintendo games for a long time, however only recently have I decided that I am also interested in procuring boxes as well. Simply put, I would like to have each game, manual, and box, along with specific game-related maps when applicable. Things like inserts (advertisement posters, Nintendo Power subscription forms) and filler objects (styrofoam inserts) I'm not concerned with.

In any event, I am interested in recreating those styrofoam inserts in order to maintain relative box quality and stability. The authenticity of the styrofoam isn't important, I'd basically be cutting new pieces from existing blocks of foam from other sources.

Does anyone know the 3-dimensional size of a typical foam insert for your standard NES game? I could measure the empty space inside a box, however I don't necessarily trust myself to get it right.

Are there any other good tips for keeping boxes in good condition? Beyond these foam inserts, does anyone have any better or more effective ways to keep boxes nice and full?

The same question goes for SNES boxes, which generally contained a full white cardboard insert. Does anyone have any expertise in recreating these inserts? What kinds of materials would work best for an operation like this?

And my final question: what is the determining difference between an NTSC and PAL cartridge and game box? I'm assuming it is in the product number, however I recently came across a complete Zelda 2 and the codes have me mixed up. The on the cartridge and instructions is "NES-AL" however the code on the back of the box (in the logo) is "NES P AL" (note: space between the P and the AL). Naturally the first thing that came to my mind when I see the P is that the box may be from a PAL released game, but I'm citing complete ignorance on the topic. For all I know, boxes have different codes than the games themselves.

Any help on clearing up any of these topics is appreciated!

My Complete Collection - Currently expanding my PS2 collection by buying up every five dollar game I see

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

The hard part is not keeping a box in good condition but finding them that way. Once a NES box is in my hands, it is 'saved'. As long as you don't try to stack too many boxes on top of each other, they should have no trouble keeping their shape. Just keep them away from extremes in humidity.

As far as PAL vs NTSC boxes, Later NTSC releases will have 'Rev-A' in the bottom right corner and an oval seal of quality whereas the PAL ones will have a 'Rev-B' and a round seal.
    "And remember ladies: if it ain't tight, it ain't right!"

Banana (Level 7)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

To get your hands on some styrofoam pieces, keep an eye on these boards & eBay. I bought a hundred or so styrofoam pieces from a seller on this board earlier this year. It's worth noting that there are two kinds of styrofoam. RPGs and games with long manuals like Tecmo Bowl have thinner styrofoam pieces than standard games, to make room for the manual.

You should look into purchasing plastic baggies for your cartridges as well. If a game is not wrapped in plastic, the top flap of the game box will have a tendency to catch on the black plastic dust sleeve, and over time the cardboard in the top flap will seperate and peel back. Keeping your games in a plastic bag will alleviate this problem. Bags of the correct size and thickness weren't hard to find, and were you so inclined, you could even use a large punch to put the air holes in the correct spot as the original cart baggies, although I didn't bother.

(Not to turn this into a sales pitch, but I have some extra baggies (I could only buy in lots of 1,000) if anyone wants some. PM.)

I'm really interested in getting my hands on SNES box inserts, or reproduction inserts. These seem to be much more difficult to come by.