Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Revisiting the Genesis Game Factory cart....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There's my answer. Cool to know. So apparently, the Factory cart doesn't even register as a cart. If it were registered as a normal cart, it would show that "No Way!" screen where you can play "Blue Spheres". But not showing anything is totally different. Guess that rules out the cart being swapped insides.

Also, you have to get a Game Genie and try that too.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, one thing.......I plugged in a Super SFII cart and didn't get that screen either. What Genesis games do you need to plug in to get that bonus screen?
    "Everything that you've ever done, are doing now, or will ever do is a complete waste of time unless it directly involves Randy 'Macho Man' Savage." - random Amazon.com review

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jerkov
    Well, one thing.......I plugged in a Super SFII cart and didn't get that screen either. What Genesis games do you need to plug in to get that bonus screen?
    Well, ANY game is supposed to display the screen. Try every game you can. The S&K may be broken.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

How can the S&K be broken if it works fine with Sonic 2? Let me try some more games....
    "Everything that you've ever done, are doing now, or will ever do is a complete waste of time unless it directly involves Randy 'Macho Man' Savage." - random Amazon.com review

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I dunno. It's strange because it's supposed to do the Bonus screen when you insert anything other than S2 and S3. What shows up when you put anything else in? Does S&K play normally or does it show nothing?

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Heh, just plugged in a Revenge of Shinobi cart and I'm getting the "No Way? No Way!" screen. Is "Blue Spheres" some kind of minigame? If so, I don't know how to start to play it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You gotta press a certain combo. I think it's A+B+C. And maybe you have to press Start with them pressed. It's the bonus you get in Sonic 3 were you run around turning all the blue spheres red and collect the rings. There are thousands of combos as it's randomly generated based on a string of characters. Some say each game cart produces a different generated map. (Based on the serial number or CheckSum or something.)

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, with Super SF II or the Game Factory Sonic 3 inserted, Sonic & Knuckles just boots up normally. Maybe the cart just doesn't read certain games at all?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jerkov
    Well, with Super SF II or the Game Factory Sonic 3 inserted, Sonic & Knuckles just boots up normally. Maybe the cart just doesn't read certain games at all?
    I think so. Now that you mention it, I believe there are a certain select few games that won't generate a response when installed.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Heroic bump after almost five and a half years.....

I was going through a couple of plastic bins of miscellaneous loose carts the other day that I hadn't looked through in a couple of years and ran across my Game Factory cart with Sonic 3 on it. Actually, it's kind of depressing to think about what has changed in five years and how much little time I can devote to gaming now compared to then, but I guess that's how life goes....

In any case, have there been any other of these carts uncovered that have a game written on them? Or is this still a "one of a kind" item? I did a Google search and it still doesn't seem as though there is a ton of info out there on these.

It'd be nice if my little cart would turn into the next Stadium Events as a highly sought after retro gaming collectible, but it is still pretty cool to have stumbled across something like this and have it in my collection. I probably haven't even tried it out or played it since this thread was originally started, so I should probably plug it in and make sure it still works, but definitely curious to hear if there have been any Game Factory developments over the past few years.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Blitzwing256's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    blitzwing256
    PSN
    blitzwing256

have you considered getting the contents of your cart dumped to see if the sonic3 data is identical to the regular release?

also can it save data at all (original has a save battery)

getting it dumped might help with figuring out how to write to em as well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Didn't someone fairly recently post about one of these, and with some kind of kid's game on it? It might have been in the "How Much Is It Worth?" section.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jerkov View Post
    I know this is an old thread, but wasn't the Super SFII game for Genesis the largest Genesis game produced? Maybe that's why it can't register with Sonic and Knuckles, it takes up too much memory. I thought I read this somewhere but can't remember.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

I would love to see the inside of this cart and see the board. Pics would be great. I am not saying it happened, but it would be pretty easy to swap out a sonic board in a game factory cart as well. For a legit game factory cart to have a game is not Stadium Events prices, but I could see easily going for a couple hundred.
    Would you like to know more about collecting video games? Check out my extensive Youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/swlovinist

Pretzel (Level 4) Goodwill Hunter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Here's the PCB of a green Game Factory cart (no game on it):

I googled "Fairway Technologies Game Factory" and got this article from the January 28, 1995 edition of Billboard magazine:

http://books.google.com/books?id=sgs...actory&f=false

It talks about a test of the game factory service at 10 Blockbusters in Columbia, SC starting in August of 1994. It stated that Fairway Technologies' parent company, NewLeaf Entertainment, was a joint venture between Blockbuster and IBM created in 1993. The article also talks about the service being displayed at a 1994 or 1995 National Association of Recording Merchandisers technology conference (I bet that was a party!). It names Robert Carberry as the acting CEO of NewLeaf at that time.

Anybody here from Columbia, SC that was renting Genesis games at the end of 1994? Hope the above info is helpful...

Rich
    Tomorrow's Past is Yesterday's Future Today!

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You know, I think the next step really should be opening this thing up.....do you need some kind of special security bit to crack open a Genesis cart?

I will have to double check whether it can save data or not.....good question. I'll drag it out later this afternoon or tonight and play it for a bit and see if saving is possible.

I would not be opposed to having it dumped, but as I am not especially tech savvy, what is the best way to have it done? Would I be at risk in damaging the game at all? I'm guessing the answer is "no" and this is a stupid question, but figured I'd ask anyway.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    achika
    PSN
    portnoyd

jerkov,

You'll definitely want to see this.

http://www.digitpress.com/forum/show...light=new+leaf

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Very interesting find with that New Leaf cart....has to be quite a rare item for sure. I'm also impressed with the archived LA Times article going back to 1994 that sheds some more light on it. Wonder if that guy ended up keeping the cart or getting rid of it - didn't seem like he had much interest in it at the end of the day, but how do you value something like that?

I did not end up getting any time today like I thought I would to dick around with the Sonic 3 cart, but I'll make sure to post some kind of update tomorrow night. I should also scrounge around on eBay for a Genesis security bit so I can open this baby up and post pics for everyone to see.

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) rbudrick's Avatar
    Buying the rare ones, moments before you get there.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Well, this sure makes it a pain for complete Genesis collection owners! You missed one, guys!

-Rob
    The moral is, don't **** with Uncle Tim when he's been drinking!