Thread: Fix (?) I performed on a touchy Dreamcast

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Fix (?) I performed on a touchy Dreamcast

I don't spend nearly as much time playing games as I'd like to. And, unfortunately, nearly every time I use my Dreamcast I need to reset the clock, showing how rarely I actually get around to using it.

I bought my Dreamcast 9/18/99. It worked very well for a long time. Then, last week, I tried to use it for a few minutes with my son. First, I reset the clock. I then played 101 Dalmations & Qbert with him. Within 5 minutes or so the unit reset itself 3 or 4 times, so we gave up.

Last night I popped in Skies of Arcadia, to try and resume from where I left off a very long time ago (I don't really even recall the story, it's been so long). 3 times in a row the system reset itself during the very first battle/encounter (when the disc spins up).

Very annoying and disappointing.

SO, not having a 24-hour Dreamcast replacement GD-Drive store nearby, I had to take matters into my own hands.

I removed the top shell from the Dreamcast, and then removed the drive unit. I carefully blew compressed air into all the nooks, crannies, and crevices of the drive, focusing on the drivescrew and the gears, and blowing a little bit over the lens.

Honestly, I take care of my stuff, and everything looked brand-new to the naked eye. There was no visible dust or grime anywhere. So I didn't really expect anything to be improved.

However, after reassembling the unit, I played SoA for an hour with no reboots. So I must have fixed something.

If you try this yourself, be aware that with compressed air, you DON'T WANT TO SHAKE THE CAN, and don't turn it upside down while spraying. Those actions will tend to cause the air to come out cold and moist, with condensation, and that is probably no good for the Dreamcast and it's lens. Simple, upright, quick short spurts of air are better.

Hope this helps somebody.
    "A 'Radical Centrist' ??? Isn't that like being a Take-No-Prisoners Pussy? " - Stephen Colbert
    My Resume
    My Blog

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The problem is actually between the power board and the motherboard. The contacts become oxidized over time and cleaning/stirring them a bit usually does the trick.

Glad you can enjoy your DC again.

"I never should the games I sold and I have replaced them but they are not the game just a hollow shell of the same game." -RugalSizzler

ServBot (Level 11)
    Aboard a pirate ship, sailing towards adventure.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

might be the lid switch too.
    I tried the power board fix, and it seemed to work, but eventually it started resetting again.

I'm sure it's the lid switch in mine. If I shut the lid completely, I get occasional resetting, but if I lower the lid without latching it, and set something (a dreamcast jewel case works) on top to hold the lid down, it works PERFECT.

anyone know a fix for a lid switch?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The lid switch is weak weak WEAK.

Best permanent fix is to simply short it and disable it. You could pull the switch off, and snag one from another DC, but it is a frail little piece of hardware.
    ... for your gaming and iPod service needs http://www.oldschoolgamer.com/ For all your Video Game console and iPod upgrade/repair needs!