Thread: Save Sam Sho Special!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ubersaurus

Default Save Sam Sho Special!

Yesterday I emailed SNK asking about when the US release of Sam Sho Special was going to be for home consoles. Well, the reply came back this morning:

Honestly we will releaseXbox SS5 in 2005. SS5 Special is probably not going to be a home game

So it would appear as if SSV Special may not be coming out as originally stated at E3. Considering how it's one of the best, if not THE best fighting game to ever grace the neo geo, this cannot stand. I can only urge all of you who don't have 360 bucks to drop on the AES cart, write to SNK, or email them, whatever-just let them know that you want to see Special, even if it has to be bundled with another game.

http://www.snkneogeousaconsumer.com/contact.php
    Check out the Kleppings!
    Make Way For Madness!
    "9 is a poor man's 11, and 11 is a Baker's Ten."
    Infinite Lives

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yea they really should bundle SS5 and SS5 Special together.

If they don't I'll always have the rom.

Kirby (Level 13) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Speaking of SNK, they have announced for Nov for PS2 in the USA, the KOF2002/2003 bundle pack, and Xbox is supposed to get it early 2005

Now as for SSV/SSV Special, I thought that was the original plan as a bundle pack...either that representative doesn't have his facts straight or something looks bad in the production department
    These cartridges are dirty as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore!

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i'm not supporting a company who forgets the cube.

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

Quote Originally Posted by soniko_karuto
    i'm not supporting a company who forgets the cube.

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i hope everyone is happy with there shitty edited copy of sam sho V special on Xbox.. no fatalities for you mister! :P
    BLAST AWAY AND GO GO GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have fatalities a-plenty in mine. Thanks to my socket, and Razoola's Uni BIOS 2.0 .

It's already out on the home console, known as the Neo Geo AES.

Unfixed (as in not sent back to SNK in the recall) carts can have full fatalities, in all their splendour and variety.

The Xbox ports are the best ports Ever though.
    ... for your gaming and iPod service needs http://www.oldschoolgamer.com/ For all your Video Game console and iPod upgrade/repair needs!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ubersaurus

Quote Originally Posted by max 330 mega
    i hope everyone is happy with there shitty edited copy of sam sho V special on Xbox.. no fatalities for you mister! :P
    That's kind of what this is about. It's NOT coming to Xbox. Or PS2. Neo Geo is the only platform it's coming to, and although I'll probably end up shelling out the 360 bucks that it costs, a game of that high quality shouldn't be available to just rommers and the rich.
    Check out the Kleppings!
    Make Way For Madness!
    Infinite Lives

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ubersaurus
    That's kind of what this is about. It's NOT coming to Xbox. Or PS2. Neo Geo is the only platform it's coming to, and although I'll probably end up shelling out the 360 bucks that it costs, a game of that high quality shouldn't be available to just rommers and the rich.
    no, im still thinkin it might make its way to Xbox, thus why i said that.
    i can tell you im very very far from rich, and i will be buying a copy sooner or later for AES too.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Neither MS3 or SvC is edited on xbox, why would SS be?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What's the difference between Sam Shodown 5 and the Special edition?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ubersaurus

Quote Originally Posted by evildead2099
    Lots of things. There's obvious crap, like more backgrounds, the 4 Sam Sho bosses, absence of Poppy, and the new fatality thing. Lots of less noticeable stuff is changed too, though-enlightenment now runs out faster(though you start with more of it), characters had their moves changed, particularly Yoshitora, who was borderline GOD of Sam Sho 5, is now fairly average, due to the nerfing of his most useful attack in 5, and a more punishable AB slash. There's other character changes too, which ultimately give the game a MUCH larger pool of characters who can compete then Sam Sho 5. It's why pretty much everyone in Japan dropped 5 to play Special, and why Special is considered to be one of the greatest neo geo games ever made. And that's why it bugs me that they don't plan on releasing it for anything mainstream.

As for censorship, the home carts of SS Special had the fatalities changed to generic ones from the specialized ones in the MVS release. So it's considered that if any home release comes along, they too will be generic.
    Check out the Kleppings!
    Make Way For Madness!
    Infinite Lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Unfixed SSVS carts (that can have fatalities enabled with the BIOS mod) are possibly going to be hard to find at original store price.

I didn't send mine away during the recall, and I'm not sellin. It is really good. Up there with SS2 , IMO.
    ... for your gaming and iPod service needs http://www.oldschoolgamer.com/ For all your Video Game console and iPod upgrade/repair needs!

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Lots of things. There's obvious crap, like more backgrounds, the 4 Sam Sho bosses, absence of Poppy, and the new fatality thing. Lots of less noticeable stuff is changed too, though-enlightenment now runs out faster(though you start with more of it), characters had their moves changed, particularly Yoshitora, who was borderline GOD of Sam Sho 5, is now fairly average, due to the nerfing of his most useful attack in 5, and a more punishable AB slash. There's other character changes too, which ultimately give the game a MUCH larger pool of characters who can compete then Sam Sho 5. It's why pretty much everyone in Japan dropped 5 to play Special, and why Special is considered to be one of the greatest neo geo games ever made. And that's why it bugs me that they don't plan on releasing it for anything mainstream.

As for censorship, the home carts of SS Special had the fatalities changed to generic ones from the specialized ones in the MVS release. So it's considered that if any home release comes along, they too will be generic.
    if ssVspecial doesn't make it to a mainstream system release, this was SNK's last neo geo offering to the fans, and in my opinion it seems pretty correct to stay that way. call me a bastard, but cmon the fans who stuck with neo geo thru thick and thin deserve a final release to call there own , or is that too selfish?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ubersaurus

Default Why aren't I in the hospital right now? I feel dying-y.

if ssVspecial doesn't make it to a mainstream system release, this was SNK's last neo geo offering to the fans, and in my opinion it seems pretty correct to stay that way. call me a bastard, but cmon the fans who stuck with neo geo thru thick and thin deserve a final release to call there own , or is that too selfish?
    That's just dumb. Unlike you, it seems, I want to see SNK actually succeed, as a business, and as an entity that needs to earn respect among fighting game fans for having good, competitive, fighters. Special is a game that can be a hit with fighting game fans if they could fucking PLAY IT. What the hell kind of a final release only has 2000 MVS carts, probably less then that of AES carts, and that's it? I'm a competitive fighting game player. There are many fighting game players, who have never given a shit about KOF, or SvC, or pretty much any offering of SNK's, because they weren't very good competitve games. Then Special comes along, and they all want to play it. But guess what? THEY CAN'T. It's not their fault. It's SNK's fault for not making available to them a game that people want to play. I've heard people say that the game looks, visually, as good as Guilty Gear from the screenshots. How many neo geo games get that kind of praise? It could actually sell well enough to be worth something, and I know I'd play the shit out of it on live. But I am denied that opportunity. I am denied the opportunity to play one of the finest fighting games in the history of the genre, and you claim it's because that all the thousands of dollars SNK put into the game is just because they wanted to say "thanks" to some spatterings of people?

Let's review a few points here. SNK is a business. Businesses are in the business of making money, so to speak. Opportunity to make money presents itself. Opportunity is not taken for whatever reason. And you're alright with this? It's like SNK is shooting themselves in the foot here.
    Check out the Kleppings!
    Make Way For Madness!
    Infinite Lives

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: Why aren't I in the hospital right now? I feel dying-y.

That's just dumb. Unlike you, it seems, I want to see SNK actually succeed, as a business, and as an entity that needs to earn respect among fighting game fans for having good, competitive, fighters. Special is a game that can be a hit with fighting game fans if they could fucking PLAY IT. What the hell kind of a final release only has 2000 MVS carts, probably less then that of AES carts, and that's it? I'm a competitive fighting game player. There are many fighting game players, who have never given a shit about KOF, or SvC, or pretty much any offering of SNK's, because they weren't very good competitve games. Then Special comes along, and they all want to play it. But guess what? THEY CAN'T. It's not their fault. It's SNK's fault for not making available to them a game that people want to play. I've heard people say that the game looks, visually, as good as Guilty Gear from the screenshots. How many neo geo games get that kind of praise? It could actually sell well enough to be worth something, and I know I'd play the shit out of it on live. But I am denied that opportunity. I am denied the opportunity to play one of the finest fighting games in the history of the genre, and you claim it's because that all the thousands of dollars SNK put into the game is just because they wanted to say "thanks" to some spatterings of people?

Let's review a few points here. SNK is a business. Businesses are in the business of making money, so to speak. Opportunity to make money presents itself. Opportunity is not taken for whatever reason. And you're alright with this? It's like SNK is shooting themselves in the foot here.
    OK , i usually hold my tongue on these forums but your god damn pushing it . I do not know how you could say KOF games arent worthy of praise as a competitive fighting genre . they are some of the finest fighting games ever made, THUS WHY THEY ARE PRAISED FOR IT!

and yes SNK did want to say thanks with this title to the loyal fans BECAUSE IT FUCKING SAYS SO ON THE BACK OF THE BOOKLET! You think its a shame that there were only 2000 mvs carts made of this title?? Blame SNK Playmore for once again fucking something up. and yes dammit they do want to say thanks , because if it werent for those "spatterings" of people there would be no more SNK because they would have gone under long ago. You must be insane to not think SNK has credit among fighting game fans, they are practically carrying the genre single handedly ! if not for the occasional Capcom title, and the new Sammy atomiswave they would be all there was left! You my friend , need to look into the pride that is SNK and see that casual gamers have not , and hopefully will continue to not be the aim of SNK.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Max is right. Porting the game to XBOX would just be SNK's way of saying "piss on all of you neo-geo fans". SNK would just be another of XBOX's "bitches". It's not a matter of if it would sell more. Neo fans pushed hard to get this title released for them and seeing it on a mainstream system will send them over the deep end. If you want to play the game, buy a neo! That's what it's about. Don't piss yourself when a good title isn't crapped on the XBOX. Either fork over the money to buy a neo and get the game or shut up!

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Habeeb Hamusta
    Max is right. Porting the game to XBOX would just be SNK's way of saying "piss on all of you neo-geo fans".
    They've already done that to the fans plenty of times. Most recently taking the fatalities out of the very game your talking about at the last minute. Good thing a genius is a Neo Geo fan (Razoola) and the fatalities are back in effect.

Why should they stop now?

I want to see this game on xbox live. True Neo Geo fans won't give a shit one way or another, they'll still have their homecart or MVS cart (plz drop in price, haha)

KOF IS AN AVERAGE FIGHTER

PS. I'm enjoying SvC on xbox live, and that's a barely average fighter.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ubersaurus

Default Well I'm not dead so I guess it's not a heart attack

OK , i usually hold my tongue on these forums but your god damn pushing it . I do not know how you could say KOF games arent worthy of praise as a competitive fighting genre . they are some of the finest fighting games ever made, THUS WHY THEY ARE PRAISED FOR IT!

and yes SNK did want to say thanks with this title to the loyal fans BECAUSE IT FUCKING SAYS SO ON THE BACK OF THE BOOKLET! You think its a shame that there were only 2000 mvs carts made of this title?? Blame SNK Playmore for once again fucking something up. and yes dammit they do want to say thanks , because if it werent for those "spatterings" of people there would be no more SNK because they would have gone under long ago. You must be insane to not think SNK has credit among fighting game fans, they are practically carrying the genre single handedly ! if not for the occasional Capcom title, and the new Sammy atomiswave they would be all there was left! You my friend , need to look into the pride that is SNK and see that casual gamers have not , and hopefully will continue to not be the aim of SNK.
    Ok, so....what?

Are you a competitive fighting game player? No, you don't seem like it, you seem like a man who plays SNK's fighters a bit, and says "gee, it sure is fun beating up the computer", maybe play a friend here and there, but that's it. You never get deep into the games. The bottom line is that with the dozens of fighters SNK has made, only a few have ever been good enough to play competitively. Very few fighters are that good. They can't have tiers that are far and away from each other, They have to be fun, they have to have a gameplay engine that isn't busted like SvC, they can't be buggy, again, like SvC...there's lots of other factors, but you get the point. AI of the computer, the stories, the bosses, none of that matters to a competitive player. Most of the KOF games do not fill those criteria. The only ones that really do are 98, 2k2, and assuming Duolon is banned, 2k3. The rest of them suffer from stupid glitches, like Foxy's unblockable in 2k1, or the "off the ground" grabs from 94, they have flawed engines, such as 97's unlimited SDMs, or 2k's endless striker abuse, or they just have characters who are just too good, like 99 Bao, 95 Heidern, or 97 Riot characters. By some grace of god, 98 and 2k2 managed to avoid those problems, and as such, are the only KOF games that have ever seen much play in Japan, where again, SNK does most of their business. This is fact. Ask some of the japan residents on Fierceslash if you want. Ask people in the states who have actually delved into the KOF engines, like shoryuken's Serpent. SNK games are nothing but amusing diversions in the US, and myself, and others, want to change that. SNK has done good fighters-Sam Sho 2, Special, Fatal Fury Special, Real Bout 2, Last Blade, MOTW, and the aforementioned KOFs 98 and 2002. Those are SNK fighters that are competitive titles, and all of them, according to my information, are quite popular among competitive players in Japan. Japan has an advantage though-they can get people to play those games, because they have arcades all over the place. The US doesn't have that luxury, and even arcades that DO want to get these games aren't always able. Pinball Petes in MI has been trying since the release to get a copy of Sam Sho Special, but the low print run makes it too damn expensive of an MVS cart for them to justify putting the money down. So where does that leave us, the competitive SNK players? Certainly the neo geo is an option, but those games are expensive, and out of reach of most players. I don't know many Capcom players that buy capcom arcade boards to play the good fighters. No, they thrive on the console ports. Good console ports allow people to play these games cheaply and still get the same arcade experience by using them for tournaments. The problem is, not only do SNK's game ports take forever to come out(thus missing their best window of opportunity), those good games don't always HAVE good ports. Does Sam Sho 2 even have a port? Thank god it's not that expensive a game. But that's just that one. You have to understand, there's not that many people with neo geos. Roms and emulators are illegal, and most tournaments want to avoid that route just in case. Ports end up being the only option for competitive SNK players, and when so many get passed over, it becomes a problem. And THAT is what is pissing me off here, the fact that you almost seem to WANT to see this movement fail. SNK games have always been looked down on by most of them, partly because the only one most of them look at is KOF (which again, only has a few good installments for that crowd) or SvC, which was a train wreck. It's not a BAD thing to bring attention to their good fighters, which also, incidentally, happen to visually put KOF to shame. The problem is, that someone who wants to get into Sam Sho Special won't want to put down 500 odd dollars on a neo geo setup and the game cart, although they would probably put down 40 for a copy of the game on his Xbox or PS2. That's lost revenue for SNK, and a person who won't enter the cause that myself and others have thrown themselves to.

You may want to look at owning a neo and the games as a status symbol of a hardcore gamer, and you can. But to say that NO ONE ELSE deserves to play their games, good or bad, that's just foolishness. It doesn't effect you if someone is getting turned to SNK by playing one of their best fighting games on Xbox Live, hell, it'd give you someone else to talk SNK to. You could boast having the homecart, and thus making you more of a hardcore SNK fan, and you could trade strats or thoughts on the game.

Now I ask, is that really so bad?
    Check out the Kleppings!
    Make Way For Madness!
    Infinite Lives

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

you dont bitch when ps2 or gamecube get an exclusive title and Xbox doesn't, and this is no different. no im not a competition player, im not good enough, but that doesnt mean i dont play the games just as much as you, and no im not too stupid to see the flaws in SNK titles. Capcom games have just as many flaws as any SNK title. there have been very few perfect fighting games made by any company, so no one company can be said to always make the best fighters. Habeeb Hamusta could easily be qualified as a competition player and he feels the same way about the situation , i would know he could be because hes pretty much a fighting game master, and ive rarely seen him lose in an arcade battle, when ive been present to see the event. and truthfully , i could care less what your opinion is on the situation, i do not own an Xbox, and do not plan to either, so they wont be seeing any sales to fuel the fire from me.like i stated earlier, when cyberlip, nam 1975, magician lord, and art of fighting never made it onto other consoles in the early 90's , people werent bitching, so dont start now just because you wont buy the neogeo copy. its not easy for me to get neo games either, i have to save for months to get a new title but you dont see me whine because i cant go into game stop and buy a copy of matrimelee for $40 for my PS2. im out of this thread.