Thread: Retro Revival - Issue 2 now available.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Retro Revival - Issue 2 now available.

Hi there,

I have been scouring these forums for a few months now and must admit that seems to be a very good place to be for retro gaming enthusiasts like myself.

I thought I would post a message on here just to announce a new retro gaming fanzine which I am running.

Retro Revival is (and will always be) a FREE PDF based fanzine which is looking at a rather different side to retro gaming. The current batch of magazines (Retro Gamer / Games TM etc) and UK based websites do the usual news / review / tips etc, whereas this little jaunt into classic gaming is more for the hardcore enthusiast.

Issue 1 (available for download on the site) was created and published in August 2003 and was like all the other magazines and fanzines around at the time. However after a year off, we have returned to start a fresh and with a completely different take on it all.

Issue 2 will be availalbe in December, with this and further issues covering subjects such as programming, console mods, computer hardware add-ons, UK based retro shop reviews, Interviews with game creators, the remake scene, an adventure section (something highly needed but not yet fulfilled by UK publications), and reviews of more obscure items which relate to retro gaming, as well as more unique content not found currently.

Issue 2 and beyond will be part computer and part console based, with each of the main machines getting its own dedicated section every issue.

Naturally, me and the other writer (only 2 of us at present) have limited knowledge in certain parts, and would welcome with opne arms, those who may want to participate in the development of this publication.

US based writers are more than welcome, as knowledge is universal. The more people we have on board the better the articles written will be.

As mentioned above, Issue 1 is available for download on our website, which is young and in need of updating, however without the comments and help from other gamers like yourselves , we cannot fulfill the ambition of the fanzine.

So if you have a few seconds to spare, download it, have a laugh at our expense (in all honesty its not that good, we have learned a lot and future issues will be improved, especially with the new content), and if you want to join our forums, or even better still, join our ranks and become a part of this new fanzine, please do so.
    Regards
    Simon
    Retro Revival
    www.retrorevival.co.uk

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

im impressed... just some constructive critism for you thou

i feel the pages need soem background/layout to them instead of just text..
    As for the information on the pages, dont worry, great writing there!
    If you ever need any help or writing done, ill be more than happy to help out!

Nice work!

RetroCollect - PAL Rarity Guides, News, Reviews, Community & Forum
    View my Retro Game Collection: Click here
    My Trade List: Click here
    My Want List: Click here

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hi Cauterize,

I have to stress once again that it was published well over 14 months ago :-)

A lot has changed since then for me and the other guy who is working on it. And yes, there will be background images on all text pages.

Drop me an email if you are seriously interested in helping out / writing and we can go from there.
    Regards
    Simon
    Retro Revival
    www.retrorevival.co.uk

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Just a quick update if I may....

Issue 2 is coming along nicely with some good articles already written including an interview with Stuart Whyte, the guy behind Populous The Beginning, F15 2 and more recently Fable on the Xbox. We also have an indepth guide to Golden Axe, and all its guises, amongst other retro gaming oddities.

Where we are lacking at the moment is the 8 bit computer & older console sections where we are desperatly in need of some knowledgeable help.

If anyone would like to join the ranks, drop me and email to simon@retrorevival.co.uk

All are welcome.
    Regards
    Simon
    Retro Revival
    www.retrorevival.co.uk

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

First and foremost, let me congratulate you on the magazine. It takes a ton of effort to put together something like this. Trust me; been there, done that, feel your pain.

My biggest piece of advice would be to get someone to help proofread the next issue. There is a typo in the first paragraph on the first page (table of contents, "thos"), and the first line of the Atari story isn't a complete sentence. In fact, after scanning through, most of the opening paragraphs have mistakes ("machines" should be "machine's" in the emulator story). Having typos right up front in the beginning of your magazine is a killer; while it may not be representative of the entire production, many people will stop reason and not even give you the benifit of the doubt.

I also saw a lot of formatting errors. Places where the text should have had an extra line break, places where there were extra spaces or spaces missing, etc.

I can't wait to see Issue #2, I enjoyed reading the first and I'll bet the second one will be even better!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hi Flack,

Thanks for taking the time to have a look at the first issue.

I agree with your comments greatly, and have to point out to you that the issue you read was made in August 2003 and was kind of rushed, hence the enourmous amounts of errors.

As a project it has come a long way since then, better ideas, more pleasing on they eye and better use of the English language.

Thank you for your support though, and keep your eye out for the second issue, due in the next few weeks.
    Regards
    Simon
    Retro Revival
    www.retrorevival.co.uk

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You must have put a lot of work into that, and I found it very easy reading unlike Retro Gamer which can be hard work at times. Good piece on emulation too - good starter for beginners without being too condescending. My own piece of the net is somewhat small and limited in scope but I'll help out if I can.
    Putting together a PAL Mega-CD site at http://www.sega-mega-cd-library.co.uk

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Issue 2 is now availabe from the website, with a Golden Axe feature, an interview with Stuart Whyte, a look at Ben Heckendorns Portable consoles, a begginers guide to programming retro games with BlitzBasic and more.

I would appreciate it if you could give me your thoughts on it, both good and bad, either on here or via the forums.
    Regards
    Simon
    Retro Revival
    www.retrorevival.co.uk

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

bump!

Read it, its damn good!
    Plus im interviewed!

RetroCollect - PAL Rarity Guides, News, Reviews, Community & Forum
    View my Retro Game Collection: Click here
    My Trade List: Click here
    My Want List: Click here

Luigi (Level 20) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Flipped through them both and impressed by the work you put into them!
    My Gaming Collection (Now at Google Drive!)

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks for the comments.

Just need a few others to join us and I think that it could turn into something quite special.

Any volunteers?
    Regards
    Simon
    Retro Revival
    www.retrorevival.co.uk

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I can write some reviews. And I can also proofread your magazine...

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

PM sent suppafly :-)
    Regards
    Simon
    Retro Revival
    www.retrorevival.co.uk