Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Manci Games reviews "Video Game Collector - #2"

Strawberry (Level 2) ManciGames's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Manci Games reviews "Video Game Collector - #2"

Welcome back, my friends, to the show that never ends. This is the first time yours truly has sat back at his good 'ole MG desk to do a review since the unpublished (at least as of now) issue #3 of Manci Games. Alas, here we are.

I skipped out on reviewing VGC #1 for obvious reasons. I probably wouldn't have been as objective that close to the end of MG. Also, I wanted to give the title an issue or two to build before doing what us know-nothings do best: review.

That being said, I'm here to tell you guys (and gals), there's a lot to like with VGC. And like any publication, there's also some problems. Let's get to it...

General things that struck me about VGC were as follows: Great paper stock. It smells absolutely fabulous. I have sort of a fetish for good smelling paper, and this paper rates! On the downside, it's comic-book sized, which leads to a sort of fanzine-feel as you hold it in your hands. I'm hoping that the plan is to eventually expand this sucker into the proper magazine format because this mag deserves it.

Maybe the smaller size is used to disguise the fact that the covers for both 1 and 2 have been atrocious. This mag is aimed at newsstands and should have a newsstand look. Not so. It's virtually unreadable, and the name of the mag is almost undecipherable. Fix this pronto guys. You're target is the mass market. People like happy shiny covers, not this busy type of thing you've got going on now.

Open the page though, and it's like a different magazine. Mad props go out to the graphic designer of this mag. The page borders are awesome. Congrats on those. Some might say the rest of the layout is boring since it's really the same exact thing on each page, but it's simple, uncluttered (you seeing this, cover page?), and readable.

The overall feel of the editorial content is decidedly juvenile in some parts. This is quite surprising as, again, this mag is aimed at an older market. Let's nix references to "the worlds bitchin'-est arcade," and cut out any further Jar-Jar inspired "moolah" anecdotes. And while we're at it, get rid of some of the "oh look, I'm really cool" picture captions. With some of these captions, I had the distinct impression that they were supposed to be funny, but...they just weren't. Maybe they were just over my head?

I'll wrap up the general overview by mentioning that there are quite a few grammatical and typographical errors. Big picture wise, the editors need to learn what a comma should and should not be used for. Also, someone might want to look up the definition of "run on sentence," because it seems to have eluded their collective memories. Specifically, check out the review of "The Flintstones" for more than your fair share of typos, grammar errors and misprints. On the other hand, this is to be expected. It's only VGC's second issue, and it takes time for a mag to catch its groove and work out the bugs, especially when you've got a rookie EIC.

Okay, now let's talk specifics. I say, deep-six the "news" and spend the pages on meatier content. Nothing is really newsworthy enough for a print retro gaming mag. That's what the net is for.

The action figure article was a highlight of the mag. Well written, well edited, and well related. Good stuff here. I actually have one of the figures in the pictures, so I have a soft spot for this piece. My only criticism would be that it needed some quotes from a toy-maker or two. Get that next time, and pieces like this will rate a perfect 10. Bravo.

The game reviews ran the gamut from good to downright boring. Some of Meston's stuff read like an instruction manual. I'm glad I know what kinds of presents I can get in ToeJam & Earl, but is the game any fun to play? Without the rating (Great!) at the top of the page, I'd have no idea. There is no feeling or emotion in any of the Meston reviews. They are informative, to be sure...especially if I've lost my instruction manual. But I want more from my reviews. Enter Geoffrey Miller. He shined in Manci Games and shines once again in VGC. Easily the best writing in the mag. Here's an easy fix: Let Miller and a couple of other writers like him write more, and have the editors spend more time doing what they are supposed to be doing: editing. You've got a great thing going. Now take it up a notch.

Next up is the first of the Manci Games deja-vu sections. Nevermind the fact that some people discounted the Steve Woita cover story when it showed up on Issue #2 of Manci Games. I guess that although Mr. Woita's story isn't that great (according to "them"), his contributions a regular columnist is fine and dandy. Well, I couldn't agree more. Woita throws out an excellent piece that gets you into the mind of a game developer in a very personal way. Hopefully, this trend will continue and we'll see more great stuff like this in future issues.

Manci Games deja-vu #2: The "Made in Japan" section bears the same writer and premise as an old MG section, but the format is much different. Instead of focusing in on one game, we're treated to a potpourri of different imports. While this is a great way to educate the people on the various imports available, it made for some pretty scatter-brained reading. No meat. Trim the fat and give us more vitamins, fellas! This column can be good, but you've got to find its focus.

Manci Games deja-vu #3: The "Timeline" section casts previous MG contributor Leonard Herman in his best possible light. This guy is a virtual machine, and there's no better way to use a machine than to have it spit out data. Lenny is a walking encyclopedia of game information, and this bullet format, while dry, is quite entertaining and informative. Next time though, give the column a title or short intro. I had no idea what I was reading about until three bullets in.

The Collector's Spotlight is a great idea that VGC should get kudos for. These guys make the hobby. Let's let them get their picture and collection in a mag and give them their 15 minutes. While I don't think the mainstream audience VGC is going for is going to care about someone like good 'ole John Keys, most gamers will.

I'm a bit confused by the Twin Galaxies Scoreboard. I think there's probably about 200 people, tops, who will care about something like this. And maybe 10 of them will ever see this mag. Then again, maybe I'm crazy. Well, I'm crazy, but maybe I'm wrong...

Now Homebrew Haven is not what I expected. They admirably took the homebrew scene in a different direction than the standard MG set. Instead of featuring a game (or two...or three!), this issue featured an article on how to download a ROM and manufacture your own cart. This is fascinating stuff...but what about the games, man? Where's the designer spotlights? The homebrew reviews? Copy MG! I don't care! I just want to see what games are out there and how good they are.

The Market Watch section was really interesting. Maybe it's the accountant in me coming out, but I love reading up on what games are going up, what games are going down and which ones to stay away from. Great job on this section, fellas.

Manci Games deja-vu #4: The Price Guide is put together by none other than our own Joe Santulli and friends. I'm glad MG was able to give them two issues to sharpen their claws before they jumped into VGC.

Ahhhhh, the price-guide. In conversations I've had with the Shawn Jones, the publisher of VGC, I've come to realize that this is the meat of VGC. This is why VGC was meant to be published. Without a doubt, it's a work of art. Though the font is tiny, they actually were able to pull off a fairly comprehensive price guide that is easy to read, fun to look at and is informative. There's a reason the guide takes up over half the mag, and that reason is focus. If you want a great quarterly price-guide, this is your product.

The final section is entitled "The Last Quarter" and is written by David Ellis, a noted arcade game collector. This column was well written, fact-filled, and fun to read. Keep David around for awhile. And ask him where I can score a sit-down Star Wars Arcade game!

Well, that's it. The official Manci Games review of Issue #2 of VGC. And I thought I'd never review anything ever again! This was actually kind of fun. Maybe we'll invite Jamie Starr back for a romp, too?

'Till next time fellow gamers...
    Manci Games - For the Retro Gamers of the World (RIP)
    Home of Manci Games Retrogaming Magazine
    www.mancigames.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Re: Manci Games reviews "Video Game Collector - #2"

Quote Originally Posted by ManciGames
    ...took the homebrew scene in a different direction than the standard MG set.
    Copy MG! I don't care! I just want to see what games are out there and how good they are.
    So MG was the "standard," you seem to be saying? I'm confused...it was here and gone very quickly, and this doesn't seem to be "breaking new ground" in my view. Reviews of homebrews...those were around a while before MG put a toe in the water.

Not dissing MG, but I think that's a rather wierd thing to say.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Oscuro
    ...took the homebrew scene in a different direction than the standard MG set.
    Copy MG! I don't care! I just want to see what games are out there and how good they are.
    So MG was the "standard," you seem to be saying? I'm confused...it was here and gone very quickly, and this doesn't seem to be "breaking new ground" in my view. Reviews of homebrews...those were around a while before MG put a toe in the water.

Not dissing MG, but I think that's a rather wierd thing to say.
    You're probably right. I'll retract that. Let's just say that it's different than what anyone else has done before.

That being said, is it a valid point? Is there anything related to VGC that you'd like to agree with or dispute?
    www.mancigames.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Nope. Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to point out "arrogance," because you're a swell guy...just thought it'd be best for us all if that was cleared up in pretty simple terms. Rude, but I thought it might save some trouble with people looking at that and going "wtf?"

As for VGC...homebrews are something easy to track, same as you said with News. The DP email, for example, tracks News, and it's nice not to have to get a piece of paper in the mail to tell you what happened a week ago. That leaves us with the fun stuff - interviews is the biggest one, IMO, unless somebody wants to leave us some details on how they created the homebrew, the technical aspect - or the bare bones information.

It seems to me from the replies the game hacking book got that a lot of people do want to see this stuff in hardcopy form...so who knows? When VGC gets a higher readership they might be able to expand, you never know. It hasn't been very long at all since a "primer" article on some subject or other has gotten me looking at a console or game series, after all; and with their "create your own cartridge" bit they've got a perfect jumping off point into a more in-depth article about how a particular homebrew artist got their run produced, for example.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

General things that struck me about VGC were as follows: Great paper stock. It smells absolutely fabulous. I have sort of a fetish for good smelling paper, and this paper rates! .
    Oh tell me about it. I have one book, A dungeons and dragons monster manual from the early 90s, like 91 or so, that has the BEST paper smell I have ever smelled. Its just AMAZING. I wish I knew how it got the smell, I would order about 50 reams of that paper .

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've yet to read VGC, Jayson, but I have my doubts as to your motives for posting this "review," based on your past history with Zach, as witnessed in this very forum.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Oscuro
    Nope. Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to point out "arrogance," because you're a swell guy...just thought it'd be best for us all if that was cleared up in pretty simple terms. Rude, but I thought it might save some trouble with people looking at that and going "wtf?"
    Ya know, I was actually thankful that you remarked on that in such a civil way. You are absolutely right that it sounded arrogant. Thanks.

It seems to me from the replies the game hacking book got that a lot of people do want to see this stuff in hardcopy form...so who knows? When VGC gets a higher readership they might be able to expand, you never know. It hasn't been very long at all since a "primer" article on some subject or other has gotten me looking at a console or game series, after all; and with their "create your own cartridge" bit they've got a perfect jumping off point into a more in-depth article about how a particular homebrew artist got their run produced, for example.
    Right again, Ed. I've also been turned onto something from just a tiny bit of exposure in an article I didn't think would be interesting to read until I read it.
    www.mancigames.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by punkoffgirl
    I've yet to read VGC, Jayson, but I have my doubts as to your motives for posting this "review," based on your past history with Zach, as witnessed in this very forum.
    Well, I guess you can take it how you want it. I think it's a pretty objective review... Zach has said many times that you only learn from criticism. Believe me, my criticism in this review is about as light as you're going to find when it comes to net-based reviews. I'm sure he has probably already noticed and/or addressed some of the things I mentioned.

Half the review is positive and half the review is constructive criticism. There's nothing sinister about it at all... I have no beef with Zach. That's not the purpose of this post. Please let sleeping dogs lie.

Now, let's get back to talking VGC. I want this mag to succeed. We need a retro gaming mag to make it and it's up to us to help them make it better.
    www.mancigames.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    DTJAAAAM
    PSN
    DTJAAAAM

When did you get the issue? I'm still waiting for mine to arrive. I loved the first one, so can't wait to take a look at this issue.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I skipped out on reviewing VCG #1 for obvious reasons. I probably wouldn't have been as objective that close to the end of MG. Also, I wanted to give the title an issue or two to build before doing what us know-nothings do best: review.
    You're not objective, Jaysen. As POG pointed out, considering our ass-ugly history in these forums, absolutely everything you have to say about VGC is biased. Your "review" is nothing but a transparent series of insults.

You speak of "having no beef," but you keep coming back to these forums again and again for no other reason than to keep our "feud" going. In fact, your last post before this thread was nearly three weeks ago, when you injected yourself into a thread where I had mentioned you in passing.

Move on, Jaysen. For your sanity and mine. And don't look to keep the "feud" going in this "review" thread, because this will be my only response to you.

-- Z.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by zmweasel
    Move on, Jaysen. For your sanity and mine. And don't look to keep the "feud" going in this "review" thread, because this will be my only response to you.

-- Z.
    Zach, I'm really not trying to continue any so-called feud. I haven't made a post for awhile because I'm not on the net as often as I used to be. As a matter of fact, I've had another post regarding game length and it's impact on gaming that has been brewing for quite some time. Hopefully, I'll get to it this weekend.

Now, regarding this thread: I made a series of well written, well thought out points. Some positive and some constructive. If you only want to hear the good things, I can edit out the constructive criticism...but is that really going to help you?

Look, I really think you have a passion for games. I think you're trying to give this all you've got. You guys are off to a great start, as evidenced by the improvements from #1 to #2. Just continue that trend and you're going to do things MG was never able to do. I know it's hard for you to believe, but there are a lot of old MG people pulling for you. Heck, half of them are even working with you!

So, you can take the review, evaluate any truths you see, ignore anything you think stems from a "feud," consider any things you consider relevant and ignore the rest.

Or, you can stick your head in the sand, consider the entire review a means to continue a so-called feud, and ignore what is probably the most thorough and well thought out critique of VGC on the net... The choice is yours.
    www.mancigames.com

Ladd Spencer (Level 17) Sniderman's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Congrats. I didn't think you two could get any more assinine. And I like both of you.

Jayson, regardless of your motives - even if they were benign - you HAD to have known posting a review of VGC was a bad idea. Everyone - EVERYONE was going to read into it as being a petty attempt at shooting down something your archnemesis put together. If nothing else, posting this showed bad judgement and casts you in a bad light.

Zach, RESPONDING to this only serves to inflame the heat you two put out whenever you go at each other. Ignore him. Turn the other cheek. Let VGC stand on its own merits. Take the criticsim at face value rather than as an attempt to sink you and your mag.

There. That said, I ask bothj of you to return to your neutral corners. No one at DP gives a damn as to what happened in the past between you two. And I sure's as hell don't wish to see you both continueing this in the future. I ask you both to drop this fued and to - at best - ignore each other. Anything else, and you both will appear even more petty than you already do.

And defending your actions - either of you - will only serve to fan the flames. So knock it off. THanks.

Your pal. Really,

Sniderman
    Still Around...Still Gamin'...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

it would be nice if i could find a store in my area that actually carried the magazine.ive been to all the comic book stores,and even bookstores in my surrounding area,and no one carries it.i guess i will have to subscribe eventually.
    do not buy/get system repair from martin krohn aka iamnotageek.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've had dealings with both Zach and Jaysen. Both great guys.

Sniderman's the smartest guy in this thread so far, myself included.

Stay the hell away from eachother, and you will both likely stay great guys.
    ... for your gaming and iPod service needs http://www.oldschoolgamer.com/ For all your Video Game console and iPod upgrade/repair needs!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by pookninja
    it would be nice if i could find a store in my area that actually carried the magazine.ive been to all the comic book stores,and even bookstores in my surrounding area,and no one carries it.i guess i will have to subscribe eventually.
    Most comic book stores can order for you if they use the "Previews" catalog. Just ask them about the catalog. They'll know what you're talking about.

Also, it looks like you can order the first issue direct from them via their website: www.vgcollector.com

Enjoy!
    www.mancigames.com

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Are we on Candid Camera?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Oui

I happen to love VGC... I love the first one and I love the second one. I can't wait for the third (just get rid of that third Persona game from the PS1 list )

I think the "review" above is fairly smelly

Cheers

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cav
    Are we on Candid Camera?
    Cav! Good to see you're still out there. Any word on Classic Gamer #3?
    www.mancigames.com

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cav
    Are we on Candid Camera?
    Cav! Good to see you're still out there. Any word on Classic Gamer #3?
    Good question, actually.

I've gone back to school and have become REALLY busy. We've been toying with going to an HTML format, which will allow us to get more articles out on a timely basis. We just had to lose that "magazine feel" we get with PDF format.

But I think when it comes down to it, no one will really care one way or the other.

Informal poll: Would anyone mind if we were to change to HTML?

-Cav

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

As long as I get to read it, I don't care how it's done.