Thread: Security Screwdrivers vs. Bits

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Security Screwdrivers vs. Bits

I bought the security bit set that MCM offers and unfortunately the 3.8mm bit is a very tight fit for Nintendo carts. I did a search through the archives on here and found a thread discussing this very problem--I guess the bits are just like this. The set I bought is this one:

http://mcm.newark.com/NewarkWebComme...KU=22-1476&N=4

If you do buy it from them, be prepared for the shipping, it's not cheap. I have lots of games to clean so I've either got to grind the bit down (I don't have a grinder, so I've got to find someone that does) or the other possibility is to use the security screwdrivers. Does anyone know if the security screwdrivers fit better then the bits? I found a screwdriver set here:

http://www.gamesx.com/misctech/gamebit.htm

I emailed the guy there and haven't heard back from him yet. I'm also wondering if there are some available on this site:

http://www.lik-sang.com/

All I could find is one that opens up the GBA. Is there another place that sales the screwdrivers? I read about the fix of using dish soap to lubricate the hole so you scan squeeze the bit in, but with the number of games I need to clean this just isn't practical. Thanks in advance for your reply. Michael

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I don't know? I have a SNES and a genesis bit, and neither of them are a tight fit. i have had mine for years. Even when new no problems. I dont't really see the problem. It just means it's a tight fit. That's what it's suppose to do. The worst that could happen is maybe you scratch a screw or something.
    Currently looking to trade for Magical Chase any version, and especially Dynastic Hero USA version. I have Samurai Shodown V Special MVS, lots of other MVS titles, and tons of games. Check out my profile over at http://gametz.com/user/greedostick.html if you are looking to get rid of one.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

True, when I open up the Nintendo carts I scrap out plastic on them, but the thing is it's a real pain to get the bit in and to get the screws out. I have so many games to clean I've got to figure out a better way. Where did you buy your bits from greedostick?

Nobody has any experience with the security screwdrivers?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

AFAIK the security bits come in two sizes. One fits the consoles and the other VB and game carts. I guess it depends who made them/where you order them from.

"I never should the games I sold and I have replaced them but they are not the game just a hollow shell of the same game." -RugalSizzler

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

i got my bits many, many, years ago on ebay. i think the problem is you just got the wrong size, or, you just got one that was not made for video games.
    Currently looking to trade for Magical Chase any version, and especially Dynastic Hero USA version. I have Samurai Shodown V Special MVS, lots of other MVS titles, and tons of games. Check out my profile over at http://gametz.com/user/greedostick.html if you are looking to get rid of one.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think he means that the outside of the bit is too large, and it is hard to fit in in the hole. The screw fits fine.
    Rarest games in collection: (R8) Chavez II for SNES / (R7) Star Gunner (Telesys) for Atari 2600
    Game Collection -- Game Commercials -- Favorite Game: Secret of Mana
    Wii code: 2572 7867 9177 9866 Smash: 0259-0110-4026

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yes, I'm using the proper bit. It fits the screws just fine, it's just getting the bit in the hole that's a problem--sorry I didn't make that clear. It only fits in the hole if you jam it in. I'm wondering if the security screwdrivers are a better fit.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I can verify this. I just for the bits from electricquarter - the 3.8 mm bit is really tight in the SNES carts - if you use it it scrapes a bit of the plastic off taking the screw out. It does not say this in the auctions - so beware!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by SkiDragon
    I think he means that the outside of the bit is too large, and it is hard to fit in in the hole. The screw fits fine.
    i completely understand, what i am saying is yes, it may fit, but maybe it is not made for video games. who knows what the hell those could be for. just because you buy something that works don't mean it's the right tool. those could be for any number of electronic devices.