Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PS2 4 YEARS OLD TODAY

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default PS2 4 YEARS OLD TODAY

I didn't see anything about this but the popular Playstation 2 console is 4 years old in America today. I did buy a system 4 years ago today. Not a PS2, but a Genesis 3 in protest.

Like it or not, the PS was a great console for its time. This coming from a Saturn fella. It was powerful, easy to develop for, and had a bunch of games that we're kinda neato.

The PS2 has to be the PS antithesis. Everything should have gone wrong over at Sony. They had a lackluster launch lineup, shoddy hardware, and lots of hype. I guess hype was good. It saved the darn system!

I broke down in Feb. 2001 and picked up a PS2. Virtua Fighter 4 was coming to the PS2! Had to get it. In my opinion systems are defined not by hardware but by software. In the past 3 years and change Sony and their 3rd party developers have really made up for the lackluster launch. Happy birthday PS2.

THE ONE, THE ONLY- RCM

Kirby (Level 13) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

wow...takes me back....Oct 26th 2000....so many guys standing out in the cold rain...waiting to get their hands on one....
    These cartridges are dirty as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Happy Birthday Playstation2 you lucky bastard. I havent ownd mine for too long, but i have enjoyedthe time I have spent playing it.

But it isn't played as muich as my Dreamcast. :P
    (Oo (xxx) oO) (Oo (xxx) oO)
    .o xxxxxxxx o . o xxxxxxxx o

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I just noticed something, I started this thread on the 27th. PS2 came out on October 26th 2000. I hope everyone knew that! Carry on people.

THE ONE, THE ONLY- RCM

Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

Wow... it only took four years for the system to start releasing games I absoltutely had to have on a regular basis.

This months dilema? Phantom Brave vs. Star Ocean 3 vs. Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Default Re: PS2 4 YEARS OLD TODAY

Quote Originally Posted by RCM
    I didn't see anything about this but the popular Playstation 2 console is 4 years old in America today.
    That means four years and one night ago, my wife and I were camped out in front of the Wal-Mart in Mustang, OK on lawn chairs, waiting to pick up two of their six PS2's.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Daria
    Wow... it only took four years for the system to start releasing games I absoltutely had to have on a regular basis.

This months dilema? Phantom Brave vs. Star Ocean 3 vs. Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne.
    I would go with Shin Megami or if your in a Strategy game mood Phantom Brave.

Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

Quote Originally Posted by Promophile

Or all three. >.>

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Eternal Tune
    PSN
    EternalTune

Quote Originally Posted by Promophile

No no no. Star Ocean Till the End of Time is one of the better RPGs I have played in a long, long, LONG time. Phantom Brave is no where near the goodness of Disgaea and Shin Megami bored me to tears when I tried it.

Now Star Ocean? I rank that game up as one of the best RPGs on the PS2. Slightly behind Suikoden 3. Well, until Xenosaga II comes out that is :P
    RIP Kamino. 1984-2010. Yes, yes I do like nes...

<+skaar> Maybe you should ask yourself "What is it about me that makes men not want to let me penetrate them?"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

for some reason I never liked the PS2 besides a few games,I loved the PSOne but the PS2 wasnt as impressive as I thought it was suppose to be at the time,so it has a built in DVD,big freaking deal!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Eternal Tune
    PSN
    EternalTune

My first two launch games were Evergrace, which I played for a total of ten minutes, and Orphen, which I've beaten numberous times and adore. I still can't understand why people knock that game. Poor Orphen.

Though I do remember going to Toys-R-Us to pick up my reserved system and seeing this hugh ass line. Then about five minutes to the store opening, one of the employees comes out and states, if you don't have a pre-order slip and receipt, you aren't getting one. Pre-orders only. People started getting all pissed off. It was great. Then I got my games, went to pay for everything, walked outside, and had some lady stop me trying to buy my system off me for her kid for Christmas. It felt good to say "No, leave me alone" and placing it in my car.

<+skaar> Maybe you should ask yourself "What is it about me that makes men not want to let me penetrate them?"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Eternal Tune
    had some lady stop me trying to buy my system off me for her kid for Christmas. It felt good to say "No, leave me alone" and placing it in my car.

Why did that feel good for?,If I was in your shoes I would have sold it to her above what you payed for it so you could get you more games and get the system the next week or something

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Eternal Tune
    PSN
    EternalTune

Quote Originally Posted by ReaXan
    had some lady stop me trying to buy my system off me for her kid for Christmas. It felt good to say "No, leave me alone" and placing it in my car.

Why did that feel good for?,If I was in your shoes I would have sold it to her above what you payed for it so you could get you more games and get the system the next week or something
    Um...well for one thing, you couldn't buy them "the next week or something." PS2s sold out until after Christmas in this area, as well as across the country.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Um...well for one thing, you couldn't buy them next week or something. PS2s sold out until after Christmas in this area.
    I love video games just as much as the next guy but I would have sold it to her,karma always comes back to you in a good way when you do things like that

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Eternal Tune
    PSN
    EternalTune

I love video games just as much as the next guy but I would have sold it to her,karma always comes back to you in a good way when you do things like that
    Tough decision here. Do I:

1 - Sell the PS2 to some lady for more then its worth, so her spoiled child can believe in Santa Claus...

or

2 - Keep the system I was smart enough to pre-order in the first place, not to mention saved up the cash for and play it...

If I had to do it all over again, I wouldn't have changed a thing.

Turning a quick buck is nice, but not on something you truly wanted.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Um...well for one thing, you couldn't buy them "the next week or something." PS2s sold out until after Christmas in this area, as well as across the country.
    That's strange but mine was a father that wanted me to do the same thing. I told him he should have gotten their earlier if he really wanted one. He looked at me for a second and said I was right and to have a Merry Christmas. He was a nice guy. Not nice enough to get my Ps2 though.
    Cool people I have bought stuff from on this board: orrimarrko kyosuke75 dave2236 video_game_addict cloudstrife29661 NESCollector75

Alex (Level 15)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SoulBlazer07

I have to agree, Daria. Get Star Ocean 3 and become addicted like I was.
    "Four o'clock and all is well.....wish I was in bed, Sir."
    -- Guard in the Imperial City, Oblivion

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kai123

That's strange but mine was a father that wanted me to do the same thing. I told him he should have gotten their earlier if he really wanted one. He looked at me for a second and said I was right and to have a Merry Christmas. He was a nice guy. Not nice enough to get my Ps2 though.
    Ok well I guess yall think differently on me on that subject,I use to be like that when I was younger but I realized their just damn games and you will get tired of them eventually,I am in my 20's so If I was able to get my hands on say like a PS3 before christmas with parents wanting to get it for their children and not being able too at the time for whatever their reason was,I would sell it to them for like 20 or 30 more bucks then I payed for it so I could get an extra game when I decided to buy the same gaming system later,that way I am looking out for myself and someone's else feelings.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Eternal Tune
    PSN
    EternalTune

Ok well I guess yall think differently on me on that subject,I use to be like that when I was younger but I realized their just damn games and you will get tired of them eventually,I am in my 20's so If I was able to get my hands on say like a PS3 before christmas with parents wanting to get it for their children and not being able too at the time for whatever their reason was,I would sell it to them for like 20 or 30 more bucks then I payed for it so I could get an extra game when I decided to buy the same gaming system later,that way I am looking out for myself and someone's else feelings.
    Oddly enough there is a black lady who always begs for change around the shopping center, at the Gamestop I work at. She always has the same story about how she is trying to get enough change to buy her kids some hot dogs. Sad isn't? Feel bad for her? Yea, until you realize she has been playing that same sob story since Christmas of last year.

I can safely wager that most of the people who wanted Elmo dolls, PS2s, Furbies, etc for their poor kid who asked Santa for it, is gonna sell those bitches on Ebay and make a hell-of-a-profit.

You know why those friendly Gamestop, EB, Gamecrazy, etc employees keep asking you to reserve new systems or games like Halo 2? Cause it you want one, you ain't getting one without a pre-order....and sadly people think its bullshit. What does it matter if you drop 50/5 bucks upfront for a system/game you plan on purchasing anyways? You aren't loosing money. That drives me up the wall.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What does some black lady at the mall have to do with what I am saying?

My best friend since 3rd grade stayed with me for a while and he worked at Funcoland when they were transforming into Gamestop,he would complain about the same things as you are as well and this is what I told him.

1.You get to give you opinions about video games and play the newest releases before most of the general public gets to

2.People who dont preorder games or systems usually put it off because the money is tied up in more important things at the time like rent or insurance,their not doing it to piss you off I am sure.

3.Their are a ton of benifits working at a game stores,
    my friend would get this kid to steal games from Walmart,Target,then trade them in forstore credit which could be alot on a hot new release,would get like 30 in store credit or more then trade the credits for cash for like 25 outside or sometimes even in the store,depending on who was working with him.

You have a job that happens to be a passion hobby you have as well,I am just saying video games cause people to become greedy and selfish and alot of times I had to tell my friend to quit complaining because he would take like ultra rare games from rednecks that they had no idea were worth like 60 bucks and he would tell them the trade in credit was like 5 dollars.

Sorry to get offtopic just giving my counter opinion