Alex (Level 15)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SoulBlazer07

Default GameCube Connection/Sound Problems

I have such a complicated home entertainment system setup, I'm sure I'm missing something basic. Can anyone help me figure this out?

I have a PS2, a XBox, and a GC. All three of those systems are hooked into my Pelican System Selector Box, which then is plugged into my sound receiver, and then from there into my TV set and speakers.

When I got my new TV set, I got some Component cables to hook everything up, and optical sound connections for the XBox and PS2 (the GC has no support for this). I THOUGHT I had everything hooked up correctly when I got my new TV and the box about six weeks ago.

To use a system, I turn my receiver on (which stays on the same setting, DVD), turn the system selector box on to the system I want to use, and put my TV on Video 5. No problems at all with my XBox and PS2.

I have'nt used my GC under this new hook up until today, though. For some reason, I'm getting video but no sound.

I have both the Digital and Analog AV Out hooked up to my Game Cube. The Digital AV Out cable is the special component cable that you order from Nintendo.com. It's plugged into the video ports of my Pelican box GC assignment.

Of course, in order to get AUDIO, I figured I still have to use the Analog AV Out cables that came with the GC in the first place. So from the GC I have the two audio plugs (Red and White) plugged into the Pelican box GC assignment, and the Video (Yellow) one hanging free.

I don't see any other way to hook up the Game Cube to my system -- I know the cables are fine cause I plugged the Analog one into my TV and get sound and video just fine. Can anyone help me figure out what's going on? I just want to get video and sound from my GC through the receiver like I do with the XBox and PS2.

Thanks in advance.
    "Four o'clock and all is well.....wish I was in bed, Sir."
    -- Guard in the Imperial City, Oblivion

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You have to connect Pelican with RCA cables to your receiver? I don't think Pelican will convert analog audio to optical.

"I never should the games I sold and I have replaced them but they are not the game just a hollow shell of the same game." -RugalSizzler

Alex (Level 15)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SoulBlazer07

I'm not sure I follow you. Do you mean normal Audio (RYB) cables? I DO have a pair going from the Audio plugs of the Output part of the Pelican box to the right plugs in my Yamaha receiver. Just a normal set -- the Yellow video one hangs free. And like I said, it's fine for the TV, the XBox, and the PS2. Just I can't get sound out of the Game Cube. And it's just normal RYB plugs going from the receiver into the TV.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

try taking the 'analog' ie, red & white from the gamecube and directly plug them into the receiver. try it on something that you don't use like auxilary. maybe you are hooking red/white into dvd slot and the receiver is looking for audio input from the digital connection from ps2/xbox, ie, digital is over-riding your analog connection) i'm guessing here tho.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I am guessing from your config, that you have both an optical for the PS2 and Xbox and an Analog for the game cube connection pluged in to the back of your receiver at the same time on the same setting (DVD). Usually It will only reconize one. It happens on TV's also, Mine ignores the Analog video connection if theres a Svideo cable pluged in.
    Try unplugging the optical cable from the receiver and testing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, there is probably a set-up button on your receiver that will change input modes. You should just plug the gamecube into a different input on the receiver.
    Rarest games in collection: (R8) Chavez II for SNES / (R7) Star Gunner (Telesys) for Atari 2600
    Game Collection -- Game Commercials -- Favorite Game: Secret of Mana
    Wii code: 2572 7867 9177 9866 Smash: 0259-0110-4026

Alex (Level 15)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SoulBlazer07

The problem is that I'd have to change all the wiring around back there in order to do that.

I did'nt know about the optical over riding the analog, though. Yes, both the PS2 and XBox are optical connected.

I found another way to do it, though. Bypassed the receiver and plugged the GC directly into the second set of component plugs on the back of the TV. For some reason it still plays on the speakers. It works for now until I decide to mess around with more. Thanks.