Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The greatest game, as voted by UK readers of Retro Gamer mag

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tom
    horrible Spectrum
    those two words dont go together really...

and to be quite honest you just "shat" on the majority of my computer childhood!

RetroCollect - PAL Rarity Guides, News, Reviews, Community & Forum
    View my Retro Game Collection: Click here
    My Trade List: Click here
    My Want List: Click here

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I know, but you could have had C-64 with a Disc Drive (as I did, I lived in the UK from 1987 onwards, and it was not difficult to get decent Disc games (EA, Infocom, Origin and others) for the C-64, or even the XL/FDD).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

What an interesting list! Even if you hadn't told me, I could have guessed that this was a UK list. The UK had a lot of those style games where it was a 3D'ish point of view (like Zaxxon) and the graphics were almost colored wireframes or something ... I don't know the name of the style, but I know they were a lot more popular overseas than here in the US.

The Commodore 64 with a disk drive and a C64 with a Datasette are quite literally two different computers. It's funny, here in the US I don't know of anyone who ever used a Datasette "seriously". The only people I know who had them (myself included) only had them until they had enough money for a disk drive, and usually used them for a month or less.

I can't imagine a top xx Commodore list without classic Electronic Arts games near the top of the list. I know Elite was big back then but I didn't realize it was THAT big!

BTW, for you '64 fans, I just sent in almost 300 new Commodore 64 screenshots to Digital Press. Once they're online, you'll be able to check them out from the main menu!

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Flack
    The Commodore 64 with a disk drive and a C64 with a Datasette are quite literally two different computers. It's funny, here in the US I don't know of anyone who ever used a Datasette "seriously". The only people I know who had them (myself included) only had them until they had enough money for a disk drive, and usually used them for a month or less.

I can't imagine a top xx Commodore list without classic Electronic Arts games near the top of the list. I know Elite was big back then but I didn't realize it was THAT big!
    A lot of the games released on tape was also available for disk and the other way around so that doesn't make to much of a difference. It has more to do with what type of games that was popular.

In the US during the 80ies the people who had home computers played more "traditional computer style" games like huge RPGs, etc while platformers, arcade conversions and shoot em ups was more common on consols. But because consols werent as popular in europe the "consol style" type of games became much biger on home computers instead. It's not that some of the games that was popular in the US wasn't available, they were but they just wasn't the type of games the avarage UK home computer owner was looking for.

Alex (Level 15)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SoulBlazer07

Ah, tape games, that brings back memories.....

I could start to load one and go take a shower, have dinner, watch a 30 minute TV program, and walk the dog before that thing loaded.

Does anyone remember 8 inch discs? I had a friend WAY back in the early 80's who still had some games on them.
    "Four o'clock and all is well.....wish I was in bed, Sir."
    -- Guard in the Imperial City, Oblivion

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SoulBlazer
    Does anyone remember 8 inch discs? I had a friend WAY back in the early 80's who still had some games on them.
    Hah, here's a funny story. At a garage sale one time, I picked up an unopened box of 8 inch floppies for a quarter. Before I quit my job in Spokane as a LAN Administrator, I took one of the disks, labelled it "Emergency Boot Disk", and hung it on the wall, next to the server.

A year after I left I got a panicked phone call. It was the manager of my old office. The server had crashed, and they needed to know how to reload it by using the disk!