Thread: Why no system prices in DP guides?

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Why no system prices in DP guides?

As I was glancing through my DP Advance and Classic guides at work I was struck that prices of systems were not to be found. There is plenty info about the systems and very good specs in the Tech info sections but why no price ranges for systems? At least maybe for the ORG a section on systems could be added. I love both of my guides and just found it rather odd... anyone else feel the same?

btw if you are only using the ORG then get on the link two above it and buy the books. They are both WELL worth it ya cheapskate :P
    if you can read this congratulations!! you can read

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I too would like to see system prices and rarity (rarity might already be there I haven't done my research yet)

They're there in the online guide. Just looked up teh Atari 2600 6-switcher. rarity/price is there.

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

I went to the online guide, clicked "non-cartridge items" in the sections area and the word "console" (which is a guide standard) to bring up a list of all consoles.

Lots are missing prices, but lots more have them.

I will be the first to admit that we're gamers - and even the most staunch of our editors prioritizes the hardware and peripherals the lowest. Thus, it is often left out in favor of researching the games themselves. That will only get better over time.

PS I'm moving this to the Collector's Guide/Rarity Database forum!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    boatofcar

Ummm...they are there. They're in the Non-Cartridge Items section, usually listed as "Console".

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sorry....forgive me!! I guess I just figured they would have a more distigushed place in the guides than a sub category of a sub category.
    if you can read this congratulations!! you can read

Ladd Spencer (Level 17) Sniderman's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kilik Kurosawa
    Sorry....forgive me!! I guess I just figured they would have a more distigushed place in the guides than a sub category of a sub category.
    The guide is arranged with the games having the highest degree of "importance," and the consoles and peripherals not so much. Why? Well, I would assume it's because the games have more variations than the consoles and require more work to organize.

Example, The Atari 2600.
    Games = A bazillion titles from a bazillion companies with a bazillion variations when you include pirates, label variations, etc. And new titles (homebrew, protos, etc.) are STILL turning up, requiring more tweakin' to the list.
    Consoles = Woodgrain, Darth Vader, Heavy Sixer, Jr., Coleco Gemini and one or two more I've missed. That's about it.
    Still Around...Still Gamin'...

Pretzel (Level 4) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Duncan1800
    PSN
    Duncan1800

Well, to be picky (and I am), there are usually multiple variations on certain consoles over the years. We all know about the minute changes made to the PS1 line through its lifespan, or the numerous colors that Game Boys and N64s have been shaded in.

Yes, the software obviously takes precedence, since that's really why we're all here. But you've only got to compile the info on the hardware once and it'll be done. Take the excellent TurboGrafx-16 hardware list, for example. Everything I would ever want to know about every possible variation of the PCE/TG/Duo lines is at my fingertips.

Personally, the most basic thing I'd like to know about any given console variant is what it will take to hook it up to a TV and get it running -- which cables, what power supply or batteries, what peripherals are needed, etc. For instance:

Nintendo Entertainment System, NTSC [Model 1]

DESCRIPTION: Otherwise known affectionately as "the toaster" or "that flashing-blue-screen nightmare". The original NES looks like a smallish duo-tone gray box with red lettering and a black accent stripe running up the right side and over the top. "POWER" and "RESET" buttons are on the left front next to a red LED power indicator light, and the twin controller ports are in the black stripe on the right front. Game Paks are inserted by opening the small hatch panel, then pushing the Pak firmly into the connector and pressing the whole assembly it down to "lock" it in place.

REQUIREMENTS: A working NES console should come with a 9V power adapter, standard RF adapter, and at least one control pad. Both the power and RF adapters can be easily replaced by aftermarket parts if the originals are missing, and there are any number of third-party controllers out there for the NES (see separate entries).

INTERFACES: Power and Reset buttons on front panel, Channel 3/4 switch on rear panel inset. RF out (RCA) on rear inset panel next to Channel 3/4 switch, for use with standard RF adapter. Mono AV out (white-yellow RCA) on right inset panel. Power in (9V center-positive) on rear inset panel, for use with standard DC adapter (110V AC). Lock-down cartridge port under door on front panel (see General notes above). Two controller jacks (NES-specific) on front panel (upgradeable to four jacks with NES Satellite or NES Four Score peripherals; see separate entries). Expansion port on bottom panel under a removable cover (never used by anyone for anything).

NOTES: The same basic NES design was used everywhere in the world except Japan, where the Family Computer (or Famicom) took precedence.
    That would be cool, since something like that would have helped me avoid my current INTV II hookup nightmare.
    Active systems owned: Wii, X360, PS3
    Inactive systems owned: RCA, INTV2, NES, SMS, Genesis, Lynx, SNES, Saturn, PS1, GBC, DC, PS2, GBA, Xbox, GC, PSP, DS
    Systems wanted: Coleco, 7800, TG16, GG, 3DS, Vita, WiiU