Thread: CV Gateway to Apshai Part 2.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Default CV Gateway to Apshai Part 2.

Well, thanks to that list posted under the first one, and more experimentation, I've FINALLY ascertained what those magic items can do, at least on the CV version- the list was for another version.

Here it is:

WAND- This extends the duration of STUN (and maybe SHIELD) spells, and makes your magic arms and armor- the ones already "in action"- more effective. You are better protected from damage, and your Magic Sword does more damage.

STAFF- Similar to WAND, only more effective. It does NOT extend STUN spell duration. What's more, with Magic Sword+STAFF and sufficient stength, you can physically destroy a Living Statue. This is the only non-spell way of doing so.

PROTECT Spell- This lessens the chance of a monster damaging you, and lessens the amount of damage if it does. Only temporary.

Gauntlet- Protects you from poison needle traps.

SHIELD Spell- For a time (brief) gives you a Magic Shield.

STONE Spell- Just like Paralysis Spell. Only affects monsters visible at time of casting. Not time limit, but wears off if you are killed.

Cross- Adds nothing to defense, but allows sword attacks (including non-magical) to do double damage to undead, which, in this game, are Vampires, Ghouls, and Vampire Bats.

Weakness Trap- This drains your strength down to 1 point. ANY healing item will restore it, but as an interesting quirk, you will have more hit points than you normally would.

Cursed Trap- YAAARGHH! This not only saps half of your hit points, it ruins ALL magic items (except Magic Arrows). Magic Armor does NOT prevent this!

Cursed Sword- Like on the list, it can do several things when you "claim" it: be a real Magic Sword; sap hit points; become a lesser weapon- even a short sword!- or drain your Luck down to 0. The only way to get it back is to grab enough treasure to gain 1 point of Luck, and then use a Luck Stone to bring it up to 9.

Magic Arrows- Arrows that do more damage than normal ones. They are never enhanced by anything (even a STAFF), but they are not affected by cursed traps.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Thanks for that list, RJ.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Chronogamer
    PSN
    Mekrabad

Great list! Can't wait to play this thing again on the C64.

This was one of my favorite games for the C64 that I actually bought with my own money (as opposed to copies given to me by well-meaning friends who thought themselves to be pirates).
    Chronogamer. Every game. Chronologically.
    Latest entry 31 March 2010
    I have forgotten to feed my fish...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Thanks, but just remember, this is for the CV- your Commodore 64 version may be somewhat different.

It amazes me how this game, with 8 Levels and 99 (!) dungeons- a total of 792!- and everything else, could all be on a 12K ROM cartridge. Imagine what a 32K ROM version could do...