Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Not enjoying 3DO, is it just me?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Default Not enjoying 3DO, is it just me?

OK, first things first. I love videogames period from Atari 2600 to Xbox. I have owned just about every platform. I even run emulators to play lots of retro games, love my PS2, Sega Saturn, PC and Dreamcast. So here's the thing. I figured I'd pickup a 3DO because I never really experienced it originally due to high cost. Anyway, a few months ago I picked up a good deal on an original Panasonic 3DO front loading system and about 40 games, mind you the games ARE "backups" yes copies but it was a good package to get me started and I figured if I liked it I could start collecting the real thing. Well I have tried every title, some the most highly rated and popular but I just can't get into it! I am not the type to try a game for 5 minutes and make a rash decision, over the last few months I have tried every title several times and all I can think is "Blah!". Seriously I have enjoyed 8bit nintendo and even Atari 2600 titles more, I used to think since 3DO was one of the first 32bit systems with video capabilities that it would be pretty cool, I figured it's failure was mostly due to the high cost but now I am seriously thinking the main reason it failed is simply because the games SUCKED! Everytime I give it another try I keep thinking I could be playing Sega Saturn or hell even my GBA! Is it me? Anyone not impressed by 3DO? Please your opinions comments or suggestions.......at this point I am thinking of selling of the whole package and re-investing in more Sega Saturn or picking up a Sega CD (I enjoy those games even more)......
    My DP Refs MaximumRD Classic Gaming and Computing Me in a Nutshell (NOT LITERALLY!) http://about.me/maximumrd
    WHERE DID THEIR HAIR GO?

Great Puma (Level 12) jonjandran's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I bought my 3Doh when it was only about a year old.

The graphics on Need for Speed had me hooked for weeks.
    And Slam-n-Jam baketball was a blast to play against friends.

But I recently tried to get back into it and just couldn't. The same games are on the Playsttion and they look better , play better, and the controller is nicer on the Playstation.

Oh well it was fun while it lasted.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Me

I have a 3DO and 70+ games, including what most gamers consider to be the "good" 3DO games.

I haven't played my 3DO in over TWO YEARS.

Anythihg the 3DO can do the Saturn or PSone can do better, and the few true exclusives just aren't worth the trouble, especially with the crap 3DO controller.

I'm probably going to get rid of it and all the games.

Cheers

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    legeek2112

I can see pulling the old 3DO out to play occasionally. But I really like Twisted and Zhadnost as party games...

Road Rash, Need For Speed, and Return Fire are still pretty cool. And Need For Speed was worse on the PSX (at least until the thrid one).

But yeah many early 3-d games do not age well. Esp ones with low frame rates...

Ben
    le geek retrogaming
    RETRO REVIEWS / WANTED / BACKLOGGERY / MY DP FEEDBACK

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

The majority of people didn't enjoy it back then... are you surprised that you're one of those who doesn't enjoy it now?

Incidentally, I do enjoy the system as I've said many times here. I refer you to this thread where I spent a goodly amount of time re-acquainting myself with the system during the research for our latest book.

http://www.digitpress.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=33058

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

When I was 14 I wanted a DUO, but then my dad was like, hey look at 3DO and I was like, okay cool! and then he said, looks I bought you a CD-i instead!

Doh!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Personally, I enjoy it, but there's only a handful of games I truly like on it...

Icebreaker
    Star Control 2
    Guardian War
    Road Rash
    Return Fire

And mostly I just keep it for those I rarely actually USE the system tho.
    scooterb: "I once shot a man in Catan, just to watch him die."

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I still enjoy my 3DO sometimes, I think Star Control 2 is one of the best games ever made. And the system is great for light gun fans, I think those old FMV shooters are better than the crap gun games they put out now.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I also own a 3D0 and played it A LOT in the early 90's. I can certainly understand your points to some degree However being that it was one of the first 32bit consoles to offer titles in CD media (hence the painfully slow load times for just about everything - not a good thing). Looking further into the CD technology at that time , particularly with the 3DO, there where many titles that 3DO game developers simply went "Actual Video Footage" happy because of the large amounts of information they could store on a CD's. So, it was quite realistic playing games like Twisted with a real game show host and contestants - but it was another thing when the game would lag out while the punch line of a joke would load from CD. Kind of killed the fun. Still, even with these load lags, there where still quite a few excellent titles for the 3DO.

Street Fighter 2 Turbo (best port to the arcade I've ever played)
    Star Control 2 - already stated, best game on the 3DO
    The Horde - Surprisingly, even with cut scenes from Kirk Cameron (sp) the game was still really fun.
    Wing Commander 3
    Guardian Wars
    Space Hulk - scary game... I should have posted this title in the recent "scariest game" tread
    Night Trap - Good video footage and game - perfect example of slow CD load times killing the fun.
    Return Fire 1&2 - Great 2 player game
    "Same time, same place, but wrong day" The Fixx from Shuttered Rooms 1982

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Twisted - The Game Show, is a great party, drink-a-beer with game. You'll be laughing for hours.

And of course don't forget the Adult-Choose-Your-Own-Adventure game "Plumber's Don't Wear Ties"
    www.VikingVideoGames.com
    Home of the Mini ColecoVision

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i have one, hate it.
    the only reason i ever pull it out is to play streetfighter 2, but i hate streetfighter 2 also.... soo i guess all in all, i hate it.
    BLAST AWAY AND GO GO GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have one, and I can't decide.

I have two games for it that I adore and are system exclusives... well, sorta. Both came out on PC.

Lost Eden -- It's like a choose your own adventure book, but it's fun. To me, at least. I love the story.

Incredible Machine -- It's awesome, and my PC is too fast to run the PC version. I have the sequel on the PC though.

Other than that, I haven't found too much I like. Guardian War is pretty cool, and if you want to check it out I have it at the GOAT Store for $5.00 new, which is better than eBay prices. (Small plug )

http://www.goatstore.com/info.php?id=463000

I personally don't like it that much, but it is one of those games that I can understand why people think it's cool.
    Dan Loosen
    http://www.goatstore.com/ - http://www.midwestgamingclassic.com/
    ** Trying to finish up an overly complete Dreamcast collection... want to help? (Updated 5/3/10!) http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61333

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I had one, and got rid of it. Yeah, it was cool having a console that cost 700 at launch, but this system suffers from the same thing a lot of systems suffer from in my mind. Basically, it was one of the first to break a barrier in gaming. It was one of the first consoles to push 3D graphics, and because of that, they suck
    For me as a gamer, it's tough to enjoy a game with 3d blobs and pretend it's a car or something unless the gameplay minus the idea of what I'm doing is really fun-- usually isn't. Don't get me wrong, playing smurfs on Atari isn't bad because I can recognize the characters and am able to appreciate it on that level, but the 3d capabilities of the 3do, jaguar, and saturn just aren't that appealing to me. Once the games break in and get a decent look to them, then it's fun. Maybe I'm not imaginative enough, but there are some excellent consoles for not having to imagine much ( ex neo geo ). That's why I see myself probably collecting mostly for the later 2d consoles such as neo geo, turbo grafx, genesis, and snes.

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    o 8BIT 1337 o
    PSN
    jggruetz

I think that if you're truly going to appreciate asystem you have to experience it before it's support dies.

Which isn't to say you can't appreciate a system you're coming to after it's dead. It's just to say that if you *do* get a chance to experience it during it's so called heyday you'll appreciate it more in years to come.

I didn't own a 3DO but I did rent one from the place I worked at. Took home FIFA and Road Rage and had a *blast* with it. So, 5 years later when I did finally buy one for myself I find I enjoy it. And I still play it now and again (Dragon's Lair mostly). Whereas some other systems from that era that I didn't really play around with just sit there and make me wonder how people could enjoy them so much.
    Time will be when the broadest river dries
    And the great cities wane and last descend
    Into the dust, for all things have an end

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    BurgerTrench

I got a 3DO when it released, I really liked it. Guardian War is still an awesome tactical strategy rpgish game. The Star Control 2 port is also oustanding, and that game is one of my favorites of all time.

Other games I liked that haven't been mentioned.

Syndicate is great, though you can play it on a number of other systems.

Theme Park has a good port on the 3DO.

Alone In The Dark is also outstanding (only other place you can get the original other than PC)

Slayer and Deathkeep are fun FPSish Dungeons and Dragons games; pacing is a bit wierd and the controls are difficult to adapt to, but they're a lot of fun.

I'm in the minority, but POed is a lot of fun to me. Great FPS.

If you can find it, the Yu Yu Hakuso fighting game is very unique. Uses animation captures from the show. Very wierd controls, but a great showpiece.

Way of the Warrior is good for a laugh. It plays like poop though.

Samurai Showdown is a respectable port. Has Earthquake in it.

And say what you want, the Putt Putt games have a unique charm to them.
    "Be proud of what we make you do." - Master Shake, SGC2C - Baffler Meal
    Blog time!
    On Facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    retroman20/retroman21
    PSN
    retroman13

Default 3DO

I loved the 3DO... i got one when it came out...so its sort of near and dear to me...Its got some good games....Need 4 Speed got its start on the 3DO. Road Rash is good....Captin Quazar, Gex, Hell, Cannon Fodder, Super Street Fighter 2.....i could go on...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I am currently enjoying my 3DO. Some of the games people rave about (Road Rash) I didn't find that enjoyable, but others I really enjoy. Return Fire 1 and 2 are great. I briefly played Lucienne's Quest and I plan to come back. Star Control 2 is one of the best games of the 90's, and it won't run on my PC anymore. Space Hulk is fun if not outdated. Overall, the number of stinkers on the system vastly overwhelm the good titles, but there is some fun to be had.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

3do have best super Street Fighter 2 Turbo (best port to the arcade I've ever played I love the music

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

One game that wasn't mentioned that me and and some of my friends love is - Paatank. I guess we may be the only ones, but for us it was a completely unique game, and was just a blast. Me and my g/f pulled it out, and were playing it only a couple weeks ago.

For those who haven't played it - It's essentially a "virtual" pinball game, with the player acting as the ball.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by maxlords
    Personally, I enjoy it, but there's only a handful of games I truly like on it...

Icebreaker
    Star Control 2
    Guardian War
    Road Rash
    Return Fire

And mostly I just keep it for those I rarely actually USE the system tho.

That's practically my list too. I would also add:

Twisted
    Lemmings
    FIFA Soccer
    Madden Football
    Night Trap

I don't play it too often but my favorite feature of the 3DO is that it plays CD-R backups with no problem and there's tons of disc images available on the newsgroups. So besides the forty games I own I've also tried another 50 or so. That's a nice feature on a 15-year old console