Thread: Rise of the Robots

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Rise of the Robots

I decided to bust out the 3DO for some gaming action, and I realized I never played Rise of the Robots before. I also never realized how a game could be this bad. I don't know what's worse: the cheesy cinemas, or the control. I just keep screaming, "Why aren't my punches connecting? I'm standing right on top of the guy!" (Err...robot). And this game is awfully slow paced for a fighting game.

One thing this game has going for it is the soundtrack. It is absolutely awesome to be able to choose between two different soundtracks ( Fuzzy + Logic/Clown Factory and Brian May). This is a great feature that is unfortunately seldom used (XGRA did allow this however). The Brian May songs are quite excellent though.

Did anybody like this game back when it was released? I'm sad to say that I would rather be sodomized with an ice cream scoop than to play this game.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I havent played it myself, but I cant imagine the Mega Drive version being any better... infact i cant imagine it not being worse than the 3do version :/

Kirby (Level 13) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Oh dear god...this game drives me up the walls...it's really quite a funny story, my best friend loves this game...and we got into an arguement about it. I kept yelling "THIS IS NOT A GAME! THIS IS SOMETHING A DONKEY SHITS OK?" and he refused to believe it....we still discuss it as a James Lipton interview would...and I break out in rage...and he breaks out in disbelief...but what can ya do? One man's trash is another man's treasure I'd say..whatever floats his boat.

At first....played the SNES verison back in 94'...I think I was bummed out over the fact that player one was stuck as that blue robot always...then again I must remind myself to kick the person who rented it that day...because it sure as hell wasn't me

If you think this is bad...try it's amazing sequel Rise to Resurrection
    These cartridges are dirty as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore!

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Download this old Rise of the Robots preview movie (9.4meg) for some fun quotes that really sells the game like "Rise of the robots redefines the fighting genre and raises the ante on gamers with a futuristic motif proven in focus groups".

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My word, it even looks crap there! Wow, I really want to go look at some old game adverts now...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    E Nice Geo

Quote Originally Posted by Super_Ghouls_'N'_Ghosts
    If you think this is bad...try it's amazing sequel Rise to Resurrection
    I have, twice, I think. Not gonna do that again. There was only three highlights to it, two being music. One track, out of the numerous ones, sounded ok. The second was one fight in which there was no music but a a match in which whatever buttons you pressed for an attack would make rock music type noise. It was quite a cacophony but it was basically the only interesting thing in the game that made me take notice in the game. Lastly, the fembot boss, partially because it was the final fight and partially design. She had these hook hands and was silvery in color, had an evil looking face.
    Murk: We will bring you Bob Barker. We will bring you the limp and beaten body of Bob Barker! - BTVS

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

what a truely terrible game Rise of the Robots was. Have it for the CD32, could ocmplete it doing a bloody flying kick for the whole duration of the game. Even though it got like 20% in a magazine I still bought it...why why why?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

When this game I out, my first thought was how amazing it looked. My second was how crappy it played. So yeah, even back then, we knew.

It seems like Rise of the Robots may have been the first PC game that I bought that came on CD-Rom ... it was either this or 7th Guest, I don't remember which I got first. I had a few other CD based games but they were all the crappy ones that came free with Packard Bell's at the time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, I bought that game for $5 for PC... it was on floppies though, 16 floppies if I remember correctly (that's more than Windows 95) :P . I was VERY impressed with the graphics at the time... but yeah, the game sucked.

DogP
    Virtual Boy Lives @ Project: VB

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

it came with an SNES I baught on ebay (40 dollars for SNES + 2 controllers + 10 games. not bad). GOD is it bad. One of the worst fighters I've played, if not the worst.

Strawberry (Level 2) GunPanther's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Waitasec.....

You consider "Rise Of The Robots" for the 3DO one of the worst games ever?

Well then, you haven't played, the utterly craptaculous......

SHADOW: War Of Succession

You want bad? Now that game isn't bad.... it's downright atrocious!

It's no wonder that Robert DeNiro probably decided to close up the "Digital Studio" aspect of Tribeca entertainment (the designers and producers of the game) while bitchslapping the designers. I can imagine how it went down.....

Robert DeNiro: (talking to the head designer) What the fuck? What in fuckin' hell is this shit?

Head designer: Mr. DeNiro, this is our newest fighting game title, which will revolutionize the fighting game genre!

Robert DeNiro: So you're sayin' that this fuckin' piece o' shit which isn't even worth my spit is all you came up with? Even after I left your stupid, fuckin' ass in charge?

Head designer: Er.... well, yes. It's our best effort to date.

Robert DeNiro: Yeah, and your last effort too, you sonuvabitch..... (proceeds to maim the head designer with a baseball bat, right in front of the rest of the game design team)

lol

Even Ultra Vortek and Kasumi Ninja (both for the Atari Jaguar) are a tad bit more playable than the garbage known as "Shadow" for the 3DO.

GunPanther
    "Sometimes you just have to shoot their limbs to get their attention."

Good traders: Querjek, k8track, youruglyclone

http://users.ign.com/collection/gymleader_panther

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Daltone
    My word, it even looks crap there! Wow, I really want to go look at some old game adverts now...
    It's true! The shiny graphics and overly enthusiastic voiceover cannot quite hide the vapid gameplay!

What's strange is that this game managed to come out on every system available at the time, too.

Anyway, Rise 2 is up on Underdogs if you want to take a look.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My friend had this for PC I do believe...he always liked iit I think, though he was alwaysa strange kid.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ultra Vortex wasnt THAT bad, now WARGODS that was one my least fav. fighting games of all time, rise was pretty bad 2, so many crappy games, its quite sad hahahha
    You must be Dirk, Dirk the Daring

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

I stand by my pick of Criticom for the PSX as the worst fighting game ever released.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Flack
    I stand by my pick of Criticom for the PSX as the worst fighting game ever released.
    I'm not sure about that (I thought it was pretty mediocre), but it did have a great soundtrack (I had the Saturn version, BTW).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Flack
    Oooh. Do you have a review up somewhere?
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GunPanther
    Even Ultra Vortek and Kasumi Ninja (both for the Atari Jaguar) are a tad bit more playable than the garbage known as "Shadow" for the 3DO.
    I'd actually say that Ultra Vortek was one of the best 2D fighting games. If only it had more fighters... Amazingly balanced, sweet graphics, great music, cool specials... a great package.

Kasumi Ninja was an imatation of Mortal Kombat, and while the graphics don't animate well and the movesets are limited, so was Mortal Kombat. The big feature of this game was the combination of the funny and the absurd, and it isn't nearly as bad as people give it credit for being. I wouldn't stick it up there with a Street Fighter or a Ultra Vortek, but Atari knew what they were doing with that game, and it gets underserved sucking credit.

I'd agree about Rise and Rise 2 being horrid. From what I understand, they spent millions digitizing stuff for Rise and it sucked so bad no one wanted to play it even though it was one of the best if not the best looking game ever released at that point. Rise 2 was an attempt to use a lot of the money that Rise had spent again to gain a little more back, and unfortunately still sucked.

Too bad. The name is one of those really memorable ones that has a potential for being really cool...
    Dan Loosen
    http://www.goatstore.com/ - http://www.midwestgamingclassic.com/
    ** Trying to finish up an overly complete Dreamcast collection... want to help? (Updated 5/3/10!) http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61333