Thread: Serious Sam, Armed & Dangerous: "Bland FPS"?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Half Japanese
    PSN
    HalfJapanese

It actually get's a ho-hum from me. Yes it's fun and it does what it does well. But to be quite honest I'm a little sick of FPS's in much the same way others got sick of platformers, fighting games, or collectathons.

It's just the whole "gun into the screen shooting at stuff" to me is already getting old. They need to spice it up a bit... maybe make it Mario style or something with goofy banana peel powerups or something. 2003_smile.gif Basically from this point forward.. any gritty, realistic or "serious" FPS (i.e. Call of Duty, Halo, Half Life 2 etc. and whatever in the long line of them in the past 4 or 5 years) get barely a passing nod from me..

Sounds like you need a good dose of Serious Sam and Armed & Dangerous. Or even Duke Nukem (if they'd ever release Forever). Armed & Dangerous (Xbox, PC) has my favorite weapon of all time: The Landshark Gun. You fire a gun and all of a sudden a fin appears above ground and begings devouring your enemies a la Jaws. Great stuff.

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DrJustinRamone
    It actually get's a ho-hum from me. Yes it's fun and it does what it does well. But to be quite honest I'm a little sick of FPS's in much the same way others got sick of platformers, fighting games, or collectathons.

It's just the whole "gun into the screen shooting at stuff" to me is already getting old. They need to spice it up a bit... maybe make it Mario style or something with goofy banana peel powerups or something. 2003_smile.gif Basically from this point forward.. any gritty, realistic or "serious" FPS (i.e. Call of Duty, Halo, Half Life 2 etc. and whatever in the long line of them in the past 4 or 5 years) get barely a passing nod from me..

Sounds like you need a good dose of Serious Sam and Armed & Dangerous. Or even Duke Nukem (if they'd ever release Forever). Armed & Dangerous (Xbox, PC) has my favorite weapon of all time: The Landshark Gun. You fire a gun and all of a sudden a fin appears above ground and begings devouring your enemies a la Jaws. Great stuff.
    what the hell? he says hes sick of FPS's, so you go and tell him to play 2 more bland ass FPS's as if it will cure his boredom with them. FPS's are all the same , you have a gun, you kill stuff, the genre hasn't changed hardly at all since doom 2, which is pretty much the only FPS i ever spent much time with.
    BLAST AWAY AND GO GO GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

FYI, this topic was split from the reduntant HALO 2 post I closed. A good discussion was beginning to come from that, thought I'd split it out in case anyone wanted to continue along that thread.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You can reduce any game to the very basics, that's why there are genres. You play what you like, and sure there are small innovations here and there, but all racing games are essentially the same, all fighting games are essentially the same, etc. They all have to have a coherent mutual idea behind them, otherwise they don't fall in the genre. What makes these games good is what makes any other games good: Good story, nice controls, enveloping gameplay, good sounds, and above all, fun to play.
    If you say you don't like FPS because they're not innovative enough for you, chances are you just don't like FPS games anyway. That's alright, we're not all going to love all genres. I'm not that big on puzzle games, sports games, or fighting games, but that doesn't mean I don't think some of them are great. They are great at what they are, and that's all they need to be.

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i really loved FPS games when they first came about, i played wolfenstein and doom 2 to death, i loved shadow warrior , rise of the triad, and duke nukem also. then some years later i picked up unreal tournament, got bored with it in like 2 days, so then i borrowed my friends quake 3 arena, played it for maybe 2 hours, these games were neat when they came about in the early 90's now they are so damn over done and repetitive its not even worth buying them. you wanna play the newest FPS? go play duke nukem, its the same damn game with not as good graphics.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Half Japanese
    PSN
    HalfJapanese

It's just the whole "gun into the screen shooting at stuff" to me is already getting old. They need to spice it up a bit...
    Thus, the recommendations. I won't derail this into another "ever game in X genre is the same" deal.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

To say that nothing has changed since Doom 2 is a pretty shortsighted view of things. Doom 2 was still 2D. The move to using truly 3D worlds has allowed a lot of different things. Add to that interactive environments and things have changed a lot. Yes, it's still in a first person view and you shoot guns... but if that's truly your view, then theer are basically 8 games out there and everything else is all the same.

Oh, and Serious Sam IS a differenmt spin on things. It doesn't pretend to be realistic or anythig even close. It's all about TONS of bad guys and splattering them all over the place. Hardly the norm for a FPS lately.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Half Japanese
    PSN
    HalfJapanese

One thing I haven't heard mentioned about Serious Sam is it's similarity to Smash TV. It's essentially a first person Smash TV-esque experience. From the ridiculous enemies and their sounds (okay, so the bomb guy's "AAAAAAHHHHHHHH" isn't quite as appealing as Mutoid Man's "NO WAY!") to the sheer volume of slaughter, it's a similar experience. Another thing these two titles have in common are HUGE boss monsters. Mutoid Man, the 3 Snakes, etc. were all HUGE bosses that were almost overwhelming when compared to your character. Serious Sam is the same way. I haven't played it in a while, but the level with the pyramids, when you finally blast your way to the end of the path there's an absolute giant boss you have to destroy. While it may sound like it's derivative, it's sort of a unique spin on a game familiar to most of us.

somewhere between the past and the future
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Serious Sam: Second Encounter had the greatest (IMO) pre-final boss battle in the history of FPS games.

Running around like crazy & blowing a bunch of shit up while fireballs rain from the sky = ultra bad ass.

I adore Serious Sam for its "back to basics" approach along with the wacky humor. Sam was a breath of fresh air in the wake of 30,000 FPS games that sometimes get more complicated than they should be.

Guns, ammo, humor, bad aliens, and beautiful cities of the past.....what else do you really need?

Possibility is infinity! You must be satisfied!

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces. -The Sizz

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Space key for $50 throwing ;D

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Overbite
    PSN
    MSX6800

i love fps games. even the bad ones are fun.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I prefer FPS games where the weapons are a little whimsical. I thought Unreal Tournament's Ripper was a hoot. Having a lot of ultrarealistic guns for blowing away people is (IMO) a bit depressing.

Put those hyper-realistic style weapon systems on giant robots, on the other hand, and I'm in.
    (\ /)
    (O.o) ---XBL GT: RHINDLE
    (><)
    /_|_\ ---PH34R TEH BUNNY

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Serious Sam + 4 player LAN = win

Quote Originally Posted by max 330 mega
    you wanna play the newest FPS? go play duke nukem, its the same damn game with not as good graphics.
    Woah, Duke Nukem has a 6-map multiplayer campaign mode for upto 40 players ? Why am i playing RTCW: ET then

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by thegreatescape
    Serious Sam + 4 player LAN = win

Quote Originally Posted by max 330 mega
    you wanna play the newest FPS? go play duke nukem, its the same damn game with not as good graphics.
    Woah, Duke Nukem has a 6-map multiplayer campaign mode for upto 40 players ? Why am i playing RTCW: ET then
    oh no! maybe 20 of your buddies dont get to sit in on this match.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

IMO, i find most fps games very boring. they're all the same thing. person with gun, shoot things with gun. the only fps i liked was metroid prime. it kept the feel of the older games of the series and added a whole new style of gameplay for the metroid series.