Thread: N64 controllers

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default N64 controllers

Here is a simple question. Is there any way to repair (i.e. "tighten") the joysticks on the N64? These controllers have the most undurable joysticks of anything, and it would be great to be able to fix them.

If nobody knows, I have a few ideas of what the problem could be.

First of all, the spring could be compressed too much and might need to be stretched out, but I dont think this is the problem.

Secondly the hemispherical plastic surface inside could be worn down too much. This also seems to be the source of the "dust" that gets in the joystick area. Perhaps coating this area with some sort of hard covering would help?

Alternatively, the opposite end of the joystick, which slides inside of the hemispherical area, could be worn down. This could be fixed by adding something to the end of it.

I realize that many people may not know what pieces I am referring to, but if you open up the little joystick "box", you will see.

http://codebook.potchgult.com/stickrepair/stickfix.htm

This website deals with cleaning the joystick, but doesn't offer a solution to the loosening problem, but it might be useful if you want to see the insides of the controller.
    Rarest games in collection: (R8) Chavez II for SNES / (R7) Star Gunner (Telesys) for Atari 2600
    Game Collection -- Game Commercials -- Favorite Game: Secret of Mana
    Wii code: 2572 7867 9177 9866 Smash: 0259-0110-4026

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yes and no. The thing is, if the joystick has worn so much that the slots in the black parts have become bigger, it's game over.

I experimented repairing my controller by replacing the joystick parts with ones from my brand new controller, one by one. Every time it came down to the slots. While replacing the "cup" and the "stick" made things better, it never got to a satisfactory level.
    I even made a mould of the new cup part with epoxy so I could cast more surface to the bottom of the cup, which works very well BTW, but repairing the black parts proved too much for me.

I guess I have to wait until Lik-Sang gets the replacement sticks on stock from the back-order status.

"I never should the games I sold and I have replaced them but they are not the game just a hollow shell of the same game." -RugalSizzler

Great Puma (Level 12) jonjandran's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Theres someone on ebay selling replacement sticks at 10 for $30 or something like that.

And then theres this guy. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WD1V

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I never thought about the "slots". It think I know what you are talking about. So basically if anyone could figure out how to fix these/make replacements, it would help out a lot.
    Rarest games in collection: (R8) Chavez II for SNES / (R7) Star Gunner (Telesys) for Atari 2600

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jonjandran
    Theres someone on ebay selling replacement sticks at 10 for $30 or something like that.

And then theres this guy. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WD1V
    Damn Ebay, they have everything. Thanks mate!

"I never should the games I sold and I have replaced them but they are not the game just a hollow shell of the same game." -RugalSizzler

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Replacing them is the only way IMO. The parts are expensive though. I'm pretty sure I can get them for $10US per plus actual shipping, but that's still not cheap. :/
    ... for your gaming and iPod service needs http://www.oldschoolgamer.com/ For all your Video Game console and iPod upgrade/repair needs!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

On a related note, some newer joysticks suffer a similar "loose" feeling as the N64 ones, but never as bad. Unfortunately, newer joysticks are not "openable". They look like they are directly soldered on the circuit board. Any way to repair these? (I am referring to PSX, PS2, Gamecube in particular, and probably Xbox, although I havent had a problem with theirs yet.)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thay are directly soldered to the PCB, but have steel guiderails inside, unlike the N64 plastic ones.

They don't wear away.... they get bent. And it takes some pretty good force to do it.
    ... for your gaming and iPod service needs http://www.oldschoolgamer.com/ For all your Video Game console and iPod upgrade/repair needs!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thats probably why the controllers I reserve for myself tend to last longer.

So is it possible to repair these "new" joysticks.
    Or could I find some metal replacements for the N64 joysticks?