Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: What Are Your Collecting Quirks?

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default What Are Your Collecting Quirks?

I know we all have things about us that others think odd, and theres thing we do that WE know are odd...what are they?

I can't buy games with "greatest hits" or ""players choice" or any of that crap, it annoys me and it stands out, so my friends and family hate buying older newer gen games for me because its like going on a treasure hunt.

I hate loose carts, even though I have ALOT, they drive me nuts, if a guy was selling a loose copy of something for 2 bucks and a complete for 15 id pay the 13 extra bucks even if its a crappy title.

Anything I see gaming related I buy... I'm so bad...if im in cvs and theres a sonic coloring book, i buy it....especially sega, i buy anything and everything. Stuff I don't need, like they had a bunch of sonic and mario folders on clearance at TRU for like 30cents each, i dont need them, but i baught them

I could go on about more but I won't, so lets hear yours!
    Got it in you?
    www.anipike.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i cant buy greatest hits either... unless its a game i really really want...
    apart from that i dont really have any little wierd things abotu collecting...

RetroCollect - PAL Rarity Guides, News, Reviews, Community & Forum
    View my Retro Game Collection: Click here
    My Trade List: Click here
    My Want List: Click here

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

I HATE GREATEST HITS.

... remember?

http://www.digitpress.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=31832

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Can't stand any rereleases.

Also, my friends think i'm mental for doing this, but I MUST buy all my games factory sealed. No matter what system, they must be properly factory sealed. And none of this crappy heat wrap stuff neither. It must be the original cellophane it left the factory with!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

No re-releases unless absolutely necessary.
    Gotta be original model hardware.
    Nothing may remain sealed

That's about it, I think.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

I think one of my collecting quirks is I buy just about any system I run across. For example, I picked up a loose SMS not too long ago for $5. It has no cables, no controllers, I have no games for it and it's completely untested ... but I still picked it up. It looks great on display with my other consoles, and then when people ask me about it I'm like, "I don't know, I just bought it and put it there." It's kind of dumb, really. Same thing with Sega Genesis consoles. I've got like 10 of them right now, mostly 2's but a couple of 1's.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Flack
    I think one of my collecting quirks is I buy just about any system I run across. For example, I picked up a loose SMS not too long ago for $5. It has no cables, no controllers, I have no games for it and it's completely untested ... but I still picked it up. It looks great on display with my other consoles, and then when people ask me about it I'm like, "I don't know, I just bought it and put it there." It's kind of dumb, really. Same thing with Sega Genesis consoles. I've got like 10 of them right now, mostly 2's but a couple of 1's.
    I do the same thing. Bought an untested, loose, model 1 mega drive and game last night for $5. I'll pretty much buy anything that's put in front of me for a good price!!

Luigi (Level 20) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

If its part of my actual collection, cannot be a Greatest Hits.
    My Gaming Collection (Now at Google Drive!)

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Historian Live

I'm controller, peripheral and accessory junkie. I have more strange and unusual items than I know what to do with. And I still have a few I need to get..

The most recent purchase was a pair of Gamester Clash Pads for PS2. Basically it's two controlloers linked by a box in the middle of their cables. The controllers allow players to screw with an opponent's controls with the push of a button. Take command of your opponent's controller, alter the sesitivity of the analog controller, switch buttons or turn the controller off completely. These only work for a brief period of time and of course your opponent can do it to you as well...

Bought NIB @ EB for $9.99
    Community Manager for Acclaim Games Inc.
    http://www.acclaim.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I can't stand Greatest Hits either. It's so bad that I was actually giddy when I picked up Twisted Metal: Black and the GH label was just stuck in side the package. I only own a couple of them for the JPN Saturn and they're hard to spot compaired to todays games.

I tend to buy anything (when I can afford it), for any system... even if I don't own said system. I have VB, SMS, SFC, Intellevision and Atari 800 games, but no systems (yet ). If it's a good deal and I have five of them already, chances are good I'll pick it up anyway. That's how I ended up with eight or nine NES systems and six N64s.
    What have you done America?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    legeek2112

I prefer non GH, but it's not a big deal. I think the PS2 GHs look better than PSOne.

I no longer pick up any cheap game I see (could just be a phase).

I do spend hours making my own shockbox inserts for most of my Neo Geo MVS games.

When I pick the next game to play, whether it is old enough to review for my website is a consideration.

I spent far too much time on VG websites and message boards
    le geek retrogaming
    RETRO REVIEWS / WANTED / BACKLOGGERY / MY DP FEEDBACK

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

No Greatest Hits. Ever.

All games must be complete, excellent condition, no writing, etc.

I live in Canada, so some of the games here have French packaging and manuals. I hate this. Luckily, this is very rare on Playstation games (except for Square-Enix games). I would go nuts if I was a Nintendo fan. Probably half of the Gamecube games have French all over the case and manuals.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

well letl's see.

With harder to find games, I need to have two copies, unless it's a game that's insanely hard to come by. Reason why I need two is for one to be completely brand new factory sealed, and the other one so that I can actually play the game.

Everything I collect must be organized and spaced out, even if it means a whole seperate shelf for just one system and game...yeah..luckily I have big rooms.
    There Can Be Only One!
    ---AWESOME TRADERS---
    maxlords, vintagegamecrazy, [-Sentinel-], Rugal, vision89, stargate, gamergary, Nick, Zmweasel

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This was just discussed a while back wasnt it? :/ x_x

http://www.digitpress.com/forum/view...270&highlight=

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    3DS Friend
    0473-8317-6182

I try as hard as I can to avoid Players' Choice editions, aside from the two I already have (Super Mario Kart and Link to the Past). The Cube ones stand out the most in a collection, with that yellow tag on the side. If they'd just left it black, and just kept a yellow stripe on the front, I probably won't have any problem with it.

I have to buy Gamecube games sealed, but if I'm forced to buy a used one, I have to inspect the disc and manual carefully before making a purchase, which has drawn the ire of one or two Gamestop clerks. Cartridges I just check to make sure the label's in good shape and that there is no corrosion on the connectors.

I guess if you could call it a quirk, I only collect Nintendo system games. Nothing personal against other systems, of course, but I'd prefer to just focus on one "line" of consoles.

DP Feedback | Game Blog of Awesomeness! | Seeking out these GCN kiosk discs: Jan 2002, 21, 25, & 29

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Mine is that I can never bring myself to complete a collection. I've been sitting on one missing Dreamcast game for almost a year. Same with the Jaguar. I've seen the games I'm missing for decent prices, but I just don't feel like paying for them so that I can get them for a better price or in better condition.

It wasn't until the Xbox that I started really disliking Greatest Hits packaging. That hasn't made me avoid it, but when I see a great deal and it is in the platnium packaging, I usually have to really debate whether I should get it or not.

I only get games that I will play, so for the two collections that I have that are mostly complete, I have spent hours trying to go through and play every game for a while. There is probably only one or two Jaguar games that I need to do this with, and about one hundred DC games.

And perhaps my biggest quirk, if I fall in love with a system I seem to do stuff for it. I made three different Jaguar joysticks back in the day, a 2600 joystick and am currently working on publishing a bunch of Dreamcast games. If I don't like the system as much, chances are that I won't devote time to doing stuff for it. Most of that stuff started out as stuff that I just did for myself (the Jaguar and 2600 joysticks, which ironically I don't have ANY of any more all started that way).
    Dan Loosen
    http://www.goatstore.com/ - http://www.midwestgamingclassic.com/
    ** Trying to finish up an overly complete Dreamcast collection... want to help? (Updated 5/3/10!) http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61333

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I dislike GH packing on the PS2, but I dont collect for it, just play it, so i'll suffer through it ....

I WILL NOT buy GH packing for the DC.... but for the psOne I prefer greatest hits packing... I like the little green label...

-Tritium
    Tritium (aka Mel)
    ------

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I will buy any shooter
    I will buy any 2D fighter

I wont buy any game with the word extreme in the title
    I never have a sports game that has a newer "model"
    Eyes - Pete and Pete, Bullet Ballet
    Ears - Exploding Hearts , Tattle Tales
    Hands - Neutopia II, NBA Live 05

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default collecting quirks

sounds like the most common trait is not buying greatest hits rereleases, and i'm definatly a subscriber to that. no player's choice/all-stars or whatever unless it's the only copy i can find of an older game and it's gonna be too expensive or time-consuming to hunt down the first release.

main thing with me is, if i'm not going to play it, i don't want it in my collection. regardless of how good a game is, if it's not something i play i'm not going to take it. better off somewhere else. between that and not caring about boxes and manuals for cartridge games, i think i save myself a lot of money, heh.

-sharc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Whenever I open a new game, I rotate the manual 720 degrees, lick the back of the disc in a clockwise fashion, and use a Sharpie to black out any occurrences of the word "The" on the back of the package. Only then is the game "purified" and safe to play in my consoles. The ritual must be repeated after every five or so hours of gameplay -- four if it's a Nintendo-published game.

Don't tell me I'm the only one who does this.

Also don't buy greatest hits, except for VF4 Evo on PS2.