Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

Default Smash TV, Son of Robotron

One of my favorite genres is that of the "360 degree shooter". The game where you're almost always surrounded and have to shoot a path, all the while grabbing power-ups, coins, or what have you.

Probably the best known classic in this genre is Robotron: 2084. The original game, designed by Eugene Jarvis, is a brilliant example of this, one of the first and one of the best of its kind. Unfortunately, I suck badly at this game as much as I do enjoy playing it. I've watched my buddy John rip through the game so I understand HOW to play better, I just seem to lack the necessary skills to execute that plan.

A game I enjoy as much and can actually play well is Smash TV. This 1990 masterpiece is clearly inspired by the movie The Running Man, and though Mark Turmell is usually the first guy you think of when you think of the game's original design, Jarvis was on the development team as well. The similarities to Robotron are significant, and that's a good thing.

Total Carnage, the "official" sequel, is an ambitious one where the play area moves and there is more diversity in the enemies. The humor is there but the game just isn't as much fun to me.

There are others in this genre, like Gauntlet, Soldiers of Fortune, Charge 'N Blast, Loaded...

What's your favorite of the genre? Which game(s) are you really good at, and if you have strategy tips, share those too!

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i always like Machine Head, i had it for the pc a long time ago...i dont now why, but i guess the relentless killing and blood splanter made me smile :P
    Got it in you?
    www.anipike.com

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

Dungeon Explorer for the TG-16 is probably my favorite. It's the "surrounded" style of gameplay mixed in with an adventure game to keep it fresh, and the presentation is pretty much flawless. Tons of replay value is in there with all the different characters you can pick, and you can even find a password for a secret character (the princess).

Robtron 2084 is a VERY close second. I actually play Robotron more than DE because I don't have DE anymore. Like you, Joe, I suck at Robotron for as much as I play it. Back in Seattle they used to have Pinball and video game competitions put on by Larry Reed (owner of Shorty's; music promoter in the '80's who brought Big Black to Seattle for their last show ever!) I got pretty good at Robotron on my Playstation, so I looked into competing. When I saw people that were actually good at that game, I wanted to run home crying. These guys can play one game for 4 hours or more...they can get so many extra lives that they can go to the bathroom, let the game keep killing them repeatedly, come back and still have about 15 lives left. It's insane, but amazing to watch.

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

I was a Smash TV fan back when it first hit the scene. I was totally unaware of Robotron at the time. The DP event at Cedar Point was the first time I actually got to see a working Robotron game, and I immediately hooked it up on the PSX at home. I love it now. I'm still shocked at how good Bargora is at it--and the guy we saw there playing it.

I'm gona have to say that I like Robotron better, just because it's got more of a 'challenge' since you can't buy-in(unlike Smash TV) after you lose your stock of lives.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    E Nice Geo

I first played Smash TV on NES, even had some speech. Snake boss is different here. Didnt get a chance to play the real deal till on that PSX Arcade party Pak, excluding roms.
    Murk: We will bring you Bob Barker. We will bring you the limp and beaten body of Bob Barker! - BTVS

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Would Sinistar fit into this catagory?

I used to love Space Dungeon as well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Remember playing Smash TV in the arcades, i rented it when i was a kid a few times, now i still have to get it for the nes, saw one boxed, maybe i'll buy it (want complete though),i love the game and genres like this one,my hands are itching i might buy the boxed one just to own the game so i can play it again!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Indeed

Nobody mentioned the official sequels... Robotron X and Robotron 64!

Well, maybe it's because they aren't that great, but they certainly aren't bad. They didn't add much more than polygonal graphics and some different playing perspectives.

Robotron 64 is better than Robotron X... it seems to play quite a bit faster and smoother. I think it came out a good while after the PSone game.

I like it, anyway.

Cheers

Startin' From Scratch Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Would Loaded and Re-loaded fall into this genre? I remember playing Loaded as my first PSX rental back in the day and loving it.

-AG
    -AB+

Holy crap. It's been a while.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Demon Stalkers (C64)

On the surface, it is just a Gauntlet clone. However, I like it much more than Gauntlet for 3 reasons:
    1. It has an ending.
    2. It's not insanely difficult.
    3. Level construction set!

Authordreamweavervisionar yplusactor Arcade Antics's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: Indeed

Quote Originally Posted by fishsandwich
    Nobody mentioned the official sequels... Robotron X and Robotron 64!

Well, maybe it's because they aren't that great, but they certainly aren't bad. They didn't add much more than polygonal graphics and some different playing perspectives.

Robotron 64 is better than Robotron X... it seems to play quite a bit faster and smoother. I think it came out a good while after the PSone game.

I like it, anyway.

Cheers

Actually, neither one of those games is an official sequel. They're "name only" sequels. They aren't canon.

The official sequel to Robotron:2084, for those keeping score at home, is actually Vid Kidz' own BLASTER. (Then Smash TV and Total Carnage).
    Selling collection, Atari through XBox. Send a PM with whatever games you're looking for.

Yo Joe! Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    ladyjaye75
    PSN
    ladyjaye75

Know what? I love Robotron AND Smash TV (maybe that's because I really liked the movie The Running Man, which I saw in a theater when it first came out).

In a way, it's not that different from space shooters, except that your targets are people and monsters instead of spaceships and other space oddities.

And I find that Robotron and Smash TV are great games to let off steam after a tough day.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Big Money! Big Prizes! I love it!

I dig smash tv, with its catchy music, its cheesy announcer, and fast-paced gameplay. It oozes "Midway", with its midgame advice and ugly, but charming, artwork. I had the snes version for a while, and now I usually bust out the mame version when I want to kill everything in sight.

Robotron, too, is one of my favorites, but man is it hard. Whatever strategies there are for getting above stage 15, I haven't mastered them yet.

No one's mentioned Gauntlet Legends on Dreamcast. It's alot of fun, a great update to the original.

Oh, and Loaded ihas some dungeon-crawling elements, like finding the right colored key for the right door.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, I think Gauntlet-style games and Robotron-style games are fundamentally different, but of the former, my favorite would be Zombies Ate My Neighbors, and my favorite of the latter would be...err. Robotron.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I just love the sayings in smash TV. I'd buy that for a dollar

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I loved Super Smash TV on the SNES. I remember reading mags with Loaded for the PlayStation and thinking this is gonna be even better than SSTV! Well, as it turned out, I was bitterly disappointed.

"I never should the games I sold and I have replaced them but they are not the game just a hollow shell of the same game." -RugalSizzler

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

does Bangai-O count? that one's pretty fun.

i'd have to say i like robotron a bit more than smashtv, although the first time i ever played smashtv was on the midway arcade treasures disc. a friend of mine and i continuted all the way through it, gets a little crazy i'd love to play robo or smash with some twin sticks someday.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I like Robotron 2084 the best. While Smash TV is really really cool, Robotron's 2-D presentation and brilliant raster sprites allow greater speed of play and cleanliness of presentation (well, as clean as you can get with 100 killer robots after your ass) than I've seen in any of its sequels, official or spiritual. IMHO.

And oobgarm,

I'm a piker, really. But maybe one day...
    (\ /)
    (O.o) ---XBL GT: RHINDLE
    (><)
    /_|_\ ---PH34R TEH BUNNY

Chaos Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mayhem64

I grew up playing Smash TV, but progressed to Robotron as I got older (and found places that had it still!). Both do their best to kick your arse as hard as possible. Robotron is the purer, more hardcore game, but Smash TV always has a place in my heart here...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Combing through the thread, I don't see any mention of Berzerk and Frenzy. Any 5200 owner will tell you that the 5200 version of Berzerk is one of the essential games for the system. It rocks. And I've never played the voice-enhanced homebrew/hack of Berzerk for the 2600, but I'm sure it's pretty cool as well.

But I really prefer Frenzy, for Colecovision. I love the fact that you can keep shooting Evil Ottos and destroying them--to a point. And when you shoot the huge Otto in the center of one of the rooms, the way his enforcers take you out is priceless (the boss Otto gets an extremely pissed expression on his face as 3--or 4?--smaller Ottos form in the corners and pulverize you at transwarp speed).

I'm biased towards Frenzy (as well as a lot of my other Coleco games) because it always takes me back to my Freshman year of college, when I purchased a huge Coleco lot at the time and would spend many a Friday evening in my dorm room, watching Alien Nation, ST:TNG, and playing Colecovision. Those were the days.