Thread: NES (and to a much lesser degree, SNES) cart plastic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default NES (and to a much lesser degree, SNES) cart plastic

Discoloration of the plastic. I am guessing it is similar to SNES 'cheap plastic' things...but this really aggravates me!

I'm sure many know what I'm talking about. Mostly you will notice it on some carts on the sides of the cart in the middle. The cart's gray will turn white, or be lighter. Granted most of my carts were bought used, so I don't know if this is something that happened to all of these carts before I got them, or if it's something that is gradual. I've seen (and purchased, not realizing it) some terrible carts, where it even extends all over the top lip and even 1/3 of the way onto the front (label side) of the cart on each side. Maybe 2 carts where the whole cartridge changed to a different color.

Needless to say, I've tried replacing these after I notice them, but it seems my eyes get more keen on noticing things like this, and a large percentage have this problem to at least a very minor degree. Don't know whether to keep trying to replace carts or just give up. I actually do not notice if these get worse or if they were just like this when I got them. I really do not want a collection NES carts that are all funky looking, with a white or greenish part to them. In the meantime, I need to pick up a security bit for these carts, since I no longer plan to swap discolored carts with nice clean gold pins with non-discolored carts with blackened nasty pins...

other note: I have probably 10-15 NES carts with some pins that that look like they have this kind of black crap stuck to them, and it doesn't seem to come off with alcohol and covers the whole pin or half the pin completely. It's not the black impression of the NES connector on them, but almost looks like black mold on the pin (this is from looking into the cart without opening it). I haven't tried the eraser method because of no security bit.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've seen the discolored plastic too, it seems to be on the sides for the most part but I have no idea why it happens. At first I thought it might be from the Goo Gone I was using, but don't think this is the case because carts that I've never cleaned also have it.

As for cleaning the contacts, you really to need to invest in the security bit. You just can't clean NES carts well otherwise. When I clean them (after opening the cart) I use alcohol on a q-tip. If there's spots of black, or green, or whatever on the contacts, I bring out the Brasso. I did a q-tip in, but not so it's dripping, and apply some to both sides of the contacts. Then I gently rub the contacts until the discolored stuff breaks up. I clean up the Brasso with a dry q-tip, then continue as if I were cleaning with alcohol. Lengthy process, but it seems to make quite the difference and I'm sure your NES's pins will thank you for it.
    NES carts needed: 28

Visit my want/trade page
    or my collection

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tonki
    I've seen the discolored plastic too, it seems to be on the sides for the most part but I have no idea why it happens. At first I thought it might be from the Goo Gone I was using, but don't think this is the case because carts that I've never cleaned also have it.

As for cleaning the contacts, you really to need to invest in the security bit. You just can't clean NES carts well otherwise. When I clean them (after opening the cart) I use alcohol on a q-tip. If there's spots of black, or green, or whatever on the contacts, I bring out the Brasso. I did a q-tip in, but not so it's dripping, and apply some to both sides of the contacts. Then I gently rub the contacts until the discolored stuff breaks up. I clean up the Brasso with a dry q-tip, then continue as if I were cleaning with alcohol. Lengthy process, but it seems to make quite the difference and I'm sure your NES's pins will thank you for it.

Thanks for this "Brasso" tip! I looked it up (since I didn't know what it was), and I'll have to give that a try. I'll order in the next month or so a security bit off Electric Quarter (I know the guy running it posts at this forum), since I've heard some can be tight fits and scrape plastic, so I'll go straight to a gaming store

PS. I thought for a while the discoloration was from using Goo Gone (I use this also) or diluted rubbing alcohol (After I clean the stickers off with GG, I use a diluted water/alcohol mixture to clean the casing of the cart off). But like you said, I've noticed it on carts I haven't cleaned, so I don't think that's the culprit... Then I thought perhaps it's from the cart getting too hot from being played too long? Like the previous owner having an all-nighter with the cart...I have no idea....