Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Game variations - Collector's point of view...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Game variations - Collector's point of view...

Firstly, I will mention I am referring to PAL versions of games in this thread - Unless otherwise stated.

A few things still puzzle me about the world of gaming and collecting...

Things like:

Why does GTA 2 have two differet covers - The original released one with a taxi cab being targeted, and then a second version which is almost identical to the first game's cover art but with a "2" in it... Is one considered rarer than the other? Why did they change the covers?

We all know the reason why The Getaway was withdrawn and rereleased though...

I have also noticed (Especially with DreamCast games) that certain companies like to release two versions of a particular game - A North European version and a South European version...

Most games are released in the UK with either a majority of main European languages, or just English. But some games are split between regions (As there was probably not enough space on one disc for all regional language variations)

North is usually the standard UK default - Which usually includes French and German (And occasionally Dutch) languages. South generally has Italian and Spanish (Sometimes Portugese)

Take Soldier Of Fortune on the Dreamcast for example - The North European (UK version) of the game has a BBFC "18" certificate on it, whereas the South European version does not...

If you are a collector, you really need to take these things into consideration when buying.

Especially with consoles like the Dreamcast - I have found that a lot of the DreamCast games which are still sealed and are floating around eBay tend to be from the South European region - Perhaps brought over by a wholesaler...

Also, all Nintendo games usually have coloured triangles on the corner of the game box and / or instruction manual... Green is designated for the UK, Pink is for Italy Etc...

I really hate it when you go into a game shop in the UK and all they have is these games with Pink triangles on... Evolution and Harvest Moon are two examples I can think of which are commonly found.

I also hate it when you go to a UK game shop, buy a GBA game, only to find they are pawning off American ones... If you complain, all they say "Yes, but it will work on all GBA systems..." - That is NOT the F***ING POINT, MUPPET!

Anyone got any other abnormalities they know of? English or American?

I know there is a probolem with Canadian variations occasionally leaking through American borders, but I doub't it's as bad as the problem we have here with certain European games which may be all in French, or something else...

Luigi (Level 20) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Only variations I plan to get are the licenced version of 3 of the Tengen titles and likely the blue labeled Activision Atari 2600 carts.
    My Gaming Collection (Now at Google Drive!)

Banana (Level 7)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I am going to collect label variations for all the NES games, but only major ones. It's near impossible to collect different Nintendo seal variations for all NES games, so I'm not counting those are variations anymore.

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by imanerd0011
    I am going to collect label variations for all the NES games, but only major ones. It's near impossible to collect different Nintendo seal variations for all NES games, so I'm not counting those are variations anymore.
    tisk tisk, tis a shame, but understandible

I however feel it is essential for a complete complete collection. There is nothing more irratating then finding a given game, only to come home and find that it doesn't match up with that box you've had sitting on your shelf for over a year. Sorry if I'm a dork about it, but my NES games have to match up PERFECTLY with my boxes and manuals.

I can understand not collecting variations if you are going for cart only. That makes sense.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have 3 different Mario/Duck hunt carts. I will keep them all because they are different.

Anyways i collect varioations but i will buy a game i don't have WAY before i buy a variation unless i know it has value.

I have 2 copies of MK DA for example one is the normal one and one is a promotional copy. I got the promo because i expect that to acrue in value.
    R.I.P. Michael "Nepenthean" Collins
    You will not be forgotten.

http://www.rfgeneration.com

Luigi (Level 20) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by izret101
    I have 3 different Mario/Duck hunt carts. I will keep them all because they are different.
    Do you have any pictures of these? I'm intrested to see what the variations were.
    My Gaming Collection (Now at Google Drive!)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    SouthRox
    Steam
    SouthRox

Quote Originally Posted by Kaine23
    Do you have any pictures of these? I'm intrested to see what the variations were.

edit--

doh, I need to learn to read a lil better... still interested in seeing those variations

PSN: SouthRox

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks again to www.rfgeneration.com for being my host.

Anyways it is a little tough to see because of the flash glare. but the first one has the white bar the second one has a blueish box around the images and the 3rd has neither.

Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

I'm not much into variations, but when I find them I keep em. So I have two copies of Gauntlet (tengeon and Nintendo), two copies of Zelda (both gold), and two of Zelda 2 (gold and grey).

Trade pending but I should also have both box types for King's Field, Just missing one of the play disks. Course this was an exception, I really wanted both of these.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The NES 'seal' variations....I was curious about those. Wasn't sure if people collected for one or the other specifically, or both.

It does make sense that if you have the box and manual, that they all match up... I have an original SONIC ADVENTURE disc with the inserts for the 'All Stars' one...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    SouthRox
    Steam
    SouthRox

wow man, good eye on those SMB/Duck Hunt carts. I never noticed any differences until I looked at your pic. Looks like I'll have to start paying attention a little more *pops ritalin*

PSN: SouthRox

Banana (Level 7)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

"I can understand not collecting variations if you are going for cart only. That makes sense"

Yeah, I only collect carts for NES ( I thought you knew that). I was going to try to collect all the label variations possible , including seals and such, but there is no list to go by at all. If someone made a list of all the variations I would definatley try it!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by imanerd0011
    "I can understand not collecting variations if you are going for cart only. That makes sense"

Yeah, I only collect carts for NES ( I thought you knew that). I was going to try to collect all the label variations possible , including seals and such, but there is no list to go by at all. If someone made a list of all the variations I would definatley try it!

I'd personally be more curious about game variations. Like the SMB3 where they changed some text or something like that. I noticed I have two ZELDA carts, and the older one doesn't display the "HOLD RESET WHILE PRESSING POWER" message. The more recent one does.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

That's quit bizarre seeing as they are all US versions. You'd expect a variation between PAL and NTSC releases, or even US and Brazillian ones, but for all three to be US and different...

At least we have a valid and obvious reason why our's are different - There are many countries which the game get's released in within Europe - But with the US there is only one...

Do you think different states got slightly different designs? Or would one be the general release, one a NES box set version, and the other a rerelease???

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think it has to do with different 'packages'. I know there are even more of those SMB/DH carts but they have additional games on them. I know there's a SMB/DH/Track and Field or something like that. Came with the Power Pad NES 'box'...

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The one with the Nintendo Seal of Quality is from the later 80's(i think...) when they changed their seal of quality. The other 2 i have no clue.

As far as i knew this cart was ONLY a pack-in so news of a boxed one is new to be.

And imanerd0011 i will gladly take any boxes or manuals off your hands as i am trying to get all my NES games CIB.
    Right now i have 52 CIB and 2 boxed.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The other variation mentioned is SMB/DH/World Class Track Meet.
    I think there was also one with Dr. Mario or Tetris on it... but after a quick check i am wrong.

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The other variation mentioned is SMB/DH/World Class Track Meet.
    I think there was also one with Dr. Mario or Tetris on it... but after a quick check i am wrong.
    okay.... where to begin. First of all, these NES carts were never sold individually, they were all pack-ins with different system sets

Those are the three SMB/DH varations, yes.

*The first one in the photo with the white line came packed with the blue boxed NES action set (this was the later released version, hence the doing away with the gray line, or no line at all and the white/yellow oval seal)

*The second one with the grayish bar you speak of came with the black boxed NES action set (this was the prior release to the blue box action set)

*The third one... not sure of its exact orgin, but if i had a guess probably the first version of the black boxed NES action set).

Now, on to the Power Pad SMB/DH/WCT carts.
    There are two variations (maybe three, i've never seen the third one in person, but only the picture on the box leads me to beleive there is one out there) on these suckers and they were all packaged with the NES Power Set (the one with the power pad and light gun)

*The first one shows Mario (fire mario) in a red hat and overalls, with a white undershirt. On this cart there is no Nintendo Seal of Quality

*The second cart shows Mario (fire mario) in a white hat and overalls, with a red undershirt. There is a nintendo seal of quality on this cart (white/gold oval shape)

*The third cart (the one i have never seen) is exactly like the second cart without a Nintendo Seal of Quality. My Boxed NES Power Set shows this cart, but since i bought this box seperate from the contents, i have no way of knowing if this exists.

Now if you want to get into variations for the NES, please let me know. Drop me an IM or a PM and you will have a new best friend.

btw, there is one with Dr. Mario. On the top portion of most the label is Yellow, but on a select few I have seen a white top portion of the label (guessing the white top label was a re-release or something), the same goes for donkey kong classics (orange top label that looks like the cart or an off-orange top label that looks nothing like the cart, you can also match these up by the different Nintendo Seal of Quality's on each one with the first having a black/gold round seal and the second having a white/gold oval seal.

Hope that helps.

I've found that once you start to understand a little bit about NES variations you find something new and fall flat on your face.

sorry to jack this thread and turn it into a NES variations list. Back on topic guys! All variations, all systems welcomed

-Josh

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nesmaster
    PSN
    Nesman

i have 3 different mario 3 boxes... dont know if all 3 carts are different though, but i know 2 are.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wow, NES cart label varations are not denoted with an appendage to the serial code. That makes things difficult. Although my brother has a Mega Man 6 with a -1 on the serial code. Perhaps it only started later in history of cart label variations.
    <Evan_G> i keep my games in an inaccessable crate where i can't play them