Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3D games and portable systems = bad idea?

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default 3D games and portable systems = bad idea?

With the advent of the Nintendo DS, we are now entering the era of 3D next generation type games on tiny little screens.

I went to a GameCrazy yesturday and had a chance to play with the DS for awhile, and I can tell you that I'm not really sure if 3D games on such a small screen is a very good idea.

With the Game Boy Advance, basically, the majority of stuff is 2D, and I just think that 2D works way better when you are dealing with a very small screen.

I'm talking about screens 3 inches or smaller. When you get to the point of a 5 inch screen, like the ones that can snap onto the different consoles, then it's much more doable, but when you are talking about the really small screens, I just don't think it works that well.

I don't know, maybe it's just me. But it seemed weird playing a 3D game on such a small screen.

I can't remember how big the screen is on the PSP, I think it's a little bit bigger than the DS screen right? So maybe with the PSP it won't be as bad, but I can say that my first reaction to the DS is that 3D on a tiny screen equals headaches and migraines.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Playing Metroid in the store is not a good example since it is such a dark game. Fluorescent lights are hell on the visibility of the screens. It looks much better under incandescent light or, even better, in the dark.

I will agree with you that 3D on a handheld is kind of tough to see though. You can almost call it unnecessary considering that the illusion of 3D space is somewhat lost by being on such a small screen.

I also feel some sorrow knowing that the last bastion of 2D goodness, the handheld, has jumped on the 3D gravy train. The DS is a cool piece of hardware though. The touch screen works better as a gaming device when you use the thumb pad found on the wrist strap. Metroid is awesome that way.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

well for me 2d or 3d makes no difference

what matters is if the game is fast paced

I can't play any action games on a handheld...no matter if it is 2d or 3d

i only use my handheld for RPGs and Strategy Games...or any other games that do not require fast paced stuff.

I dono about u guys...but i tend to shake my controllera bit when i play Tekken, Mario Bros, or Need For Speed...i don't hold it perfectly still - and when my screen is attached to my hands (aka handheld) ...I just can't see anymore cuz the screen is also shaking. So THANK GOD for FIRE EMBLEM!

Anyone else has same problems?
    ------------------------------

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ExistingLemon

3D games definitely work on portable systems... I'm going to guess that you haven' had a chance to try anything other than Metroid on the DS? That demo is a bad demostration of what the DS can do. Try something like Mario 64 or Feel the Magic--they both showcase the goodness of true 3D on a handheld.
    Egbert, I miss you...

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There will be 2D games on the DS, just wait and see. Ill be buying mostly 2D titles in the future.
    Support Medical Marijuana

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by klausien
    I also feel some sorrow knowing that the last bastion of 2D goodness, the handheld, has jumped on the 3D gravy train.
    There are quite a few 2D titles planned for the DS (maybe even around half of them). Let us also not forget that there are talks of a GBA 2 (or whatever it's called) here in a few years - Though 2D gaming may be on the endangered species list, I really don't believe that it will ever completely die off unless we end up with some kind of virtual reality 3D crazyfest in our houses.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The screen isn't too bad, IMO. Maybe you've been taking things for granted after you got that huge projector screen...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I agree. I think that this idea of small screen/3D should be rethunk.

The screen for all Game Boys is just too small for me given their resolution. When you throw in 3D, it's like running around a room looking through a periscope.

I think (uh oh, am I getting to that other message board?) that PSP has the right idea- larger screen. I'm really looking forward to that.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: 3D games and portable systems = bad idea?

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony1
    I went to a GameCrazy yesturday and had a chance to play with the DS for awhile, and I can tell you that I'm not really sure if 3D games on such a small screen is a very good idea.
    You're not alone in your opinion. The best online review of Super Mario 64 DS, at 1up.com (http://www.1up.com/do/reviewPage?cId=3136792&did=1), touches upon this problem:

"I also found myself suffering a bit of eyestrain with Mario 64 DS. Even though the screen is brighter and crisper than that of the GBA SP, I found playing the game for more than half an hour at a time gave me a headache, regardless of lighting conditions. I'm worried that this is a sign that the DS's screens are slightly too small to facilitate 3D games of this variety, and it's likely that once the PSP arrives with its huge, beautiful screen Nintendo's new system is only going to seem worse in comparison."

I can't remember how big the screen is on the PSP, I think it's a little bit bigger than the DS screen right? So maybe with the PSP it won't be as bad, but I can say that my first reaction to the DS is that 3D on a tiny screen equals headaches and migraines.
    The PSP's screen is almost as big as *both* DS screens. 16:9, 4.3 inches diagonal, 480x272 pixels. One developer stated, in an interview, that he wanted to "rub [his] balls on it," which I assume is a compliment.

-- Z.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Querjek
    3D games definitely work on portable systems... I'm going to guess that you haven' had a chance to try anything other than Metroid on the DS? That demo is a bad demostration of what the DS can do. Try something like Mario 64 or Feel the Magic--they both showcase the goodness of true 3D on a handheld.
    Why do you say Metroid is a "bad" DS demo? Nintendo itself would disagree with you.

-- Z.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I wonder if motion sickness will be more prevalent with handheld 3D games vs console..

I can play Doom all day on a TV or PC monitor but just a few minutes on the GBA and I'll puke..

And I am not one to be afflicted with motion sickness normally.. the only console game that has ever affected me is Katamari Damacy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nemesis223
    PSN
    Nemesis2233

i agree, portables should stick to 2D graphics.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by junglehunter
    The screen isn't too bad, IMO. Maybe you've been taking things for granted after you got that huge projector screen...

You know what? I knew that somebody was going to mention my huge 113 inch screen!!

Thats funny!

But seriously, yes, I do like large screens. I've never really gotten into portables that much, and alot of it has to do with screen size, but I really do believe that 3D games on such a small screen really is somewhat of a problem.

Maybe it effects some people more than others, but to me it just seemed like maybe this isn't a marriage made in Heaven after all. I have played 3D games on those 5 inch or whatever size screens they make for the PS1 and GameCube, and I didn't notice it to be a problem on those screens, so I really think it does have to do with the fact that a 3 inch screen is considerable smaller in terms of viewable real estate.

I'm probably going to get a DS anyways, but not to play DS games. I will be getting one to play 2D GBA games on a much better screen. Also to play my emulators as well.

Certainly, I'm definitely looking forward to the PSP. But who knows when it will actually go on sale. It could be awhile. But definitely my dream is to play SNES games at full speed with some type of emulator on the PSP.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by zmweasel
    Why do you say Metroid is a "bad" DS demo? Nintendo itself would disagree with you.

-- Z.
    I donno I played the demo in store and it was TOTALLY HORRIBLE. It could be because there was something wrong with the demo DS or something, but the screen was as dark as the GBA (non sp).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've said it before and I'll say it again. I have no problems with Mario 64 on my DS. After a minute, I actually can;t tell it's on a handheld I'm so into it. I look forward to more 3D games on it. Maybe that's just me.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Be thankful that Nintendo is using such a small screen. Anything larger and their low-res 3-D would look like utter crap.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Promophile
    I donno I played the demo in store and it was TOTALLY HORRIBLE. It could be because there was something wrong with the demo DS or something, but the screen was as dark as the GBA (non sp).
    Did you check to see if the backlight had been turned off? Sounds like a distinct possibility.

-- Z.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jasoco
    I've said it before and I'll say it again. I have no problems with Mario 64 on my DS. After a minute, I actually can;t tell it's on a handheld I'm so into it. I look forward to more 3D games on it. Maybe that's just me. :)
    How old are you? I would expect old bastards like me to have more issues with the DS screen than young'uns. (1-up.com's reviewer is 29, which is ancient by game-journo standards.)

-- Z.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by zmweasel
    Quote Originally Posted by Jasoco
    I've said it before and I'll say it again. I have no problems with Mario 64 on my DS. After a minute, I actually can;t tell it's on a handheld I'm so into it. I look forward to more 3D games on it. Maybe that's just me.
    How old are you? I would expect old bastards like me to have more issues with the DS screen than young'uns. (1-up.com's reviewer is 29, which is ancient by game-journo standards.)

-- Z.
    Personally, I've played the game for hours and haven't had a problem. (I'm 23 by the way, is that old enough?)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

YEP!!!

I too thought before every playing a DS about the screen size might be a problem. But after playing games like Mario64 on it I am amazed of how great it plays and still looks.
    But only gripe might be is that you really need a control stick for 3-D games and not the control pad. But that is a different story. (My skills for using the stylus are getting pretty good now though)

And by the way Querjek, what you are saying on your signature is something that I thought about too. The whole "countdown" for the DS, and know that it is here I miss the anticipation, but of course am more happy that it's here!!!