Thread: 7800 sticks on a Colecovision - good or bad?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default 7800 sticks on a Colecovision - good or bad?

So what is the definative answer, can using 7800 joysticks on a colecovision
    cause damage to the CV?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The IC that manages CV controller input is notoriously easy to blow. I'd stay away.
    ... for your gaming and iPod service needs http://www.oldschoolgamer.com/ For all your Video Game console and iPod upgrade/repair needs!

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by omnedon
    The IC that manages CV controller input is notoriously easy to blow. I'd stay away.
    i have been using 7800 pads w/o issue.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

A CV console doesn't have a ground connection for the controllers, it actually has two pulsing signals with a low voltage of -0.7v
    The standard controller connects these through a diode so the system sees about 0v because of the ground drop. Other controllers will make a direct short so the system sees -0.7v. Whether this is a problem, I can't say for sure.

If someone wants to make a fully compatible genesis controller adapter for joysticks, turbo or whatever I got schematics here:
    http://www94.pair.com/jsoper/cv_genadap.html
    John

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by omnedon
    True. It's especially vulnerable to static electricity, and when the chip blows, you get that "chooses it's own game and acts like the joystick is pushing to the side" problem. I'm wondering if that "-0.7V" can cause this to happen eventually, under certain environmental conditions?

ColecoVision.com used to have detailed instructions on this and how to fix it, but I can't find the website any longer- luckily, I ran off a hard copy, so if anybody here needs a copy, PM me and I'll send one out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

First off, why would you want to. Those controllers are designed to cause wrist and hand pain.

Second, the second button would not work in the same capacity as a Colecovision second button, so you would only be able to play one button games.

Insert Coin (Level 0) jetset516's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ianoid
    First off, why would you want to. Those controllers are designed to cause wrist and hand pain.

Second, the second button would not work in the same capacity as a Colecovision second button, so you would only be able to play one button games.
    You're right about the controllers being designed to cause pain. Of course I'm not sure which you are referring to, since both the 7800 controller and the CV stock controllers are equally teririble! Why anyone thought putting independent fire buttons on the opposite side of a controller is beyond me. In both cases, it's impossible to fire the opposite side button AND keep a firm hold of the controller at the same time.
    That said, the 7800 joypad controllers work fine and recognize both fire buttons. Space Fury and Cosmic Avenger for example are a delight with the 7800 pads. Pretty unplayable otherwise with the CV controllers.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Erm, yeah, I actually hate CV controllers, too. But the CV shouldn't actually differentiate between the two 7800 controller buttons as button 1 and button 2, on CV games that use both buttons.

I'm truly amazed at what passed as a controller in days yon. After logging 40 hours on a PSX controller, one has to see that better ergonomics were a requirement. Even the NES joypad was a huge step forward. Not that I don't like using old controllers on old games.

Insert Coin (Level 0) jetset516's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ianoid
    Erm, yeah, I actually hate CV controllers, too. But the CV shouldn't actually differentiate between the two 7800 controller buttons as button 1 and button 2, on CV games that use both buttons.
    It really does though I assure you. Again though that's the joypads, NOT the torture sticks. I haven't tried the regular joysticks. I'm too lazy to get them out of thier box. I'll try this weekend just for the hell of it though.