Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    legeek2112

Quote Originally Posted by zmweasel
    Quote Originally Posted by RCM
    Pretty impressive I have to say. I was a bit worried that the DS might suffer a similar fate to the DC - ie/ nobody buys until Sony release their hardware. It might only be the first week's figures but it's a mighty fine start!
    The Dreamcast sold almost 400,000 units the first day of release in the states. Maybe 377,000. Something like that. I think it took 10 or 12 days to reach a million sold. Just cause the DS is doing well doesn't mean it will continue.

THE ONE, THE ONLY- RCM
    Exactly. The Dreamcast sold to the hardcore, but never reached the mass market. The DS is currently selling to the hardcore, but the question is whether or not it will reach the mass market, like the GBA.

-- Z.
    The DS has at least two advantages over the Dreamcast.

1) The support of EA Games

2) Nintendo hasn't removed their previous console from the market as Sega had.

Who knows if this will make a difference...

Cheers,
    Ben
    le geek retrogaming
    RETRO REVIEWS / WANTED / BACKLOGGERY / MY DP FEEDBACK

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by le geek

The DS has at least two advantages over the Dreamcast.

1) The support of EA Games

2) Nintendo hasn't removed their previous console from the market as Sega had.

Who knows if this will make a difference...

Cheers,
    Ben
    EA is also supporting the PSP, so that's not an advantage for Nintendo.

And of course Nintendo's not going to pull the GBA. It's Nintendo's bread and butter. The question is whether or not the DS will make it beyond early adopters and hardcore gamers into the mass market of teens and adults that the PSP is targeting.

-- Z.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Exactly. The Dreamcast sold to the hardcore, but never reached the mass market. The DS is currently selling to the hardcore, but the question is whether or not it will reach the mass market, like the GBA.

-- Z.
    Yeah. A lot of hardcore gamers pick up hardware at launch. It will be interesting to see how it all unfolds.

THE ONE, THE ONLY- RCM

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by goatdan
    That's a link to an article from May 2002, Dan. That quoted 8% figure has dropped to an even more insignificant percentage over the past two and a half years.
    Regardless, it as well as my other points show that Nintendo has faced some competition... but has so far squashed it. Hearing that the market share for the WonderSwan has gone down since 2002 means that Nintendo is "winning" the sales wars, right? Doesn't that prove that they're doing something right in a market where there is more competition?
    I don't think the big N had any real competition in a LONG time because other brands have not been putting out their products in ads not nearly enough... everyone heard of "gameboy" but not everyone knows of "wanderswan" or "GP32" etc... Sony seems to be aggressively putting out the PSP to the masses in terms of letting their targeted base know what's available... and I think their marketing strategy will work.

As for Nintendo's sales... that's good and all, but I don’t think the DS will sell as good as the GBA... what I am looking forward to is a real successor to the GBA (Nintendo has made this known in the media) and I can't say that I have much interests in the DS.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't know... the two things that spring to my mind when thinking about the various launches is:

Dreamcast was HUGE. The ONLY console launch date I remember because it was everywhere... 9.9.99. The system had incredible looking games like NFL 2K, Soul Calibur and Ready 2 Rumble right off the bat, as well as a pretty deep selection (12+) launch day games. The advertising was everywhere, and people were talking about it like crazy.

The DS is below the radar. I have seen commercials for it only on one day. It came out with a total of five games, none of which were revolutionary. The games were / are decent, but they weren't incredible. The advertising for the DS is pretty much no where, and it is barely mentioned outside the hardcore gamer.

I definitely wouldn't begin to compare them, seeing that the only similarity seems to be in the number of systems sold. Sega did the more noteworthy advertising campaign, pulled out some serious games and really looked good. The Nintendo DS... Well, we all have our opinions about that, but I think everyone can agree that it doesn't include a noteworthy advertising campaign.
    Dan Loosen
    http://www.goatstore.com/ - http://www.midwestgamingclassic.com/
    ** Trying to finish up an overly complete Dreamcast collection... want to help? (Updated 5/3/10!) http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61333

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't know... the two things that spring to my mind when thinking about the various launches is:

Dreamcast was HUGE. The ONLY console launch date I remember because it was everywhere... 9.9.99. The system had incredible looking games like NFL 2K, Soul Calibur and Ready 2 Rumble right off the bat, as well as a pretty deep selection (12+) launch day games. The advertising was everywhere, and people were talking about it like crazy.

The DS is below the radar. I have seen commercials for it only on one day. It came out with a total of five games, none of which were revolutionary. The games were / are decent, but they weren't incredible. The advertising for the DS is pretty much no where, and it is barely mentioned outside the hardcore gamer.

I definitely wouldn't begin to compare them, seeing that the only similarity seems to be in the number of systems sold. Sega did the more noteworthy advertising campaign, pulled out some serious games and really looked good. The Nintendo DS... Well, we all have our opinions about that, but I think everyone can agree that it doesn't include a noteworthy advertising campaign.
    Hardcore gamers were talking about the Dreamcast like crazy, but mainstream gamers were still quite happy with their PS1s, and eagerly awaiting the PS2. Sega's advertising blitz didn't work on them.

Hardcore gamers are talking about the DS like crazy, but mainstream gamers haven't even heard of it yet. Will Nintendo's advertising blitz, presuming one is forthcoming, work on them? Or are they eagerly awaiting the PSP? Those are the burning questions.

-- Z.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hardcore gamers were talking about the Dreamcast like crazy, but mainstream gamers were still quite happy with their PS1s, and eagerly awaiting the PS2. Sega's advertising blitz didn't work on them.
    I don't agree with you at all on this point, but I know that it isn't worth trying to debate with you...
    Dan Loosen
    ** Trying to finish up an overly complete Dreamcast collection... want to help? (Updated 5/3/10!) http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61333

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    legeek2112

EA is also supporting the PSP, so that's not an advantage for Nintendo.
    Maybe advantage is not the right word, but EA skipped the dreamcast to wait for PS2... This is not the case here...

Cheers,
    Ben
    le geek retrogaming
    RETRO REVIEWS / WANTED / BACKLOGGERY / MY DP FEEDBACK

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't agree with you at all on this point, but I know that it isn't worth trying to debate with you...
    What's to debate, Dan? History validates my statement. In North America, the Dreamcast was dead in less than two years. The PS2 showed up, and that was that.

I know you have a theory that piracy killed the Dreamcast, so let's roll with that: if the DC had ever reached beyond hardcore gamers with the technical savvy to steal DC games, and into the mass market of casual gamers without that savvy, perhaps Sega could've held out a little longer.

-- Z.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What's to debate, Dan? History validates my statement. In North America, the Dreamcast was dead in less than two years. The PS2 showed up, and that was that.
    The Dreamcast being dead in two years has nothing to do with the buzz that was generated at the LAUNCH of the Dreamcast.

But I've realized to just let you make your points and to give up. There isn't an "exchange of ideas" in these threads once you latch onto an idea.

Your idea is that the Dreamcast and the DS launches can be easily compared because they moved the same number of machines, and obviously the hardcore gamer will purchase any system in the first week / month of launch, and the DS therefore is looking no better or worse than the Dreamcast. I'm stating that I don't believe that to be true. No matter what I explain on this fact, you'll bring up other random points (piracy had NOTHING to do with the Dreamcast LAUNCH) and you'll take on other stuff.

Zach, every time you join a conversation, you make me want to leave it. I'll let you take over here. I have better things to do with my life then to talk about video games with a close-minded individual that just likes to point out how wrong everyone but him is about everything.
    Dan Loosen

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Zach, every time you join a conversation, you make me want to leave it. I'll let you take over here. I have better things to do with my life then to talk about video games with a close-minded individual that just likes to point out how wrong everyone but him is about everything.
    This forum isn't an echo chamber, Dan. If you can't handle your opinions being challenged, perhaps you shouldn't bother to express them.

Your idea is that the Dreamcast and the DS launches can be easily compared because they moved the same number of machines, and obviously the hardcore gamer will purchase any system in the first week / month of launch, and the DS therefore is looking no better or worse than the Dreamcast. I'm stating that I don't believe that to be true. No matter what I explain on this fact, you'll bring up other random points (piracy had NOTHING to do with the Dreamcast LAUNCH) and you'll take on other stuff.
    I never said the DS is "looking no better or worse than the Dreamcast." I said that early sales of the Dreamcast, as with the DS, were fueled by early adopters and hardcore gamers. I also said that it remains to be seen whether the DS will make it beyond the hardcore and into the mainstream, which the Dreamcast was never able to do. The Dreamcast proved that an impressive launch is no guarantee of long-term success.

EDIT (and re-edit): Dan, I delete PMs and emails resulting from threads such as these, WITHOUT reading them first. Doesn't matter if I get one, two, or a hundred. A few months back, someone quoted one of my emails out of context to try and further a sad little vendetta. Thus, I no longer engage in "private" debates, under the assumption that whatever I say will end up in the forums anyway.

-- Z.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

No, it's true, and for all the gamers I knew during the time period it happened during, not a single one spoke of the Dreamcast. Sure, I didn't talk with too many gamers back then, but if you're talking about the mainstream, then it would've been more likely that at least one person out of five would've had the Dreamcast or at least was talking about it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Jive3D
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed Oscuro
    The thought of a puke green screen machine driven by a ~4.19GHz processor is INTENSELY amusing.
    Watch it there, that machine was my bread and butter for quite some time.
    Well, I can't claim I've ever made a living off of it...but I play Game Boy games to this day, and find the grayscale format very appealing (even if it is rather green-tinted at times). I used that wording to highlight the obvious dichotomy the person I was replying to had set into place with his "100 times more powerful" statement, which was amusing.