Thread: OMG I'm outta touch.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default OMG I'm outta touch.

So I'm haning out in my room, cleaning some nes carts, and I hear that distinctive sound of people playing video games. I go take a look, and it's two of my roomates playing a newly acquired platinum hits version of dead to rights for xbox. Now, I play mostly older games, and with some dreamcast/gamecube mixed in. What I saw in that room, shocked me for the rest of my life A freaking stripper was on the screen, working it like Jennifer Connelly from Requim. Of course, I had to jump in and put my Space Channel 5 skills to work, as they were losing horribly, which was easy once I learned the buttons (ie which was yellow-Y, etc...yeah, I don't play much 'box).

Anyways, I couldn't believe I was 'controlling' a stripper in a game. This is outrageous, and and a wake up call. I think I'm getting old. After that the game got real dull and turned into some sort of beat 'em up/max payne ripoff or something, I dunno, I left. All I know is that they were killing the 'event staff' for the club for no apparent reason. And to think I always thought Dead to Rights was just a fighting game.

Games are waaaaay different now...is all I'm trying to say I guess.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: OMG I'm outta touch.

Quote Originally Posted by whoisKeel
    So I'm haning out in my room, cleaning some nes carts, and I hear that distinctive sound of people playing video games. I go take a look, and it's two of my roomates playing a newly acquired platinum hits version of dead to rights for xbox. Now, I play mostly older games, and with some dreamcast/gamecube mixed in. What I saw in that room, shocked me for the rest of my life A freaking stripper was on the screen, working it like Jennifer Connelly from Requim. Of course, I had to jump in and put my Space Channel 5 skills to work, as they were losing horribly, which was easy once I learned the buttons (ie which was yellow-Y, etc...yeah, I don't play much 'box).

Anyways, I couldn't believe I was 'controlling' a stripper in a game. This is outrageous, and and a wake up call. I think I'm getting old. After that the game got real dull and turned into some sort of beat 'em up/max payne ripoff or something, I dunno, I left. All I know is that they were killing the 'event staff' for the club for no apparent reason. And to think I always thought Dead to Rights was just a fighting game.

Games are waaaaay different now...is all I'm trying to say I guess.
    I'd agree to a point, but there are many games that for me have the 'old school wonder' that just sucks me in and has me playing for hours. Knights of the Old Republic, Fable(yes its short but played it many times) Kingdom hearts, Roller Tycoon, Half Life2, and alot of the platformers for me have the classic feel (be it Crash, Ty the Tasmanian, Tak, Jak, Ratchet and Clank, Sly)

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

, didn't know that DTR was like that :P

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: OMG I'm outta touch.

Quote Originally Posted by LootRn

I'd agree to a point, but there are many games that for me have the 'old school wonder' that just sucks me in and has me playing for hours. Knights of the Old Republic, Fable(yes its short but played it many times) Kingdom hearts, Roller Tycoon, Half Life2, and alot of the platformers for me have the classic feel (be it Crash, Ty the Tasmanian, Tak, Jak, Ratchet and Clank, Sly)
    roller coaster tycoon and kingdom hearts don't fall into this category obviously. what little i've played of half life doesn't really either, as your still killing monsters, which I find much less morally incorrect (yeah negative*2) as killing the event staff for a club.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by frodo2968
    LOL, didn't know that DTR was like that :P
    neither did I...off to play the promo version I got from buying breakdown

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

It is the surprises like those that keep me interested in modern games. I get pretty excited when I see things I wouldn't expect in videogames, that's kinda what got me hooked in the first place. It's why games like Grand Theft Auto are so appealing to me. Gratuitous violence, strippers, head shots, unexpected dance routines... it is the stuff that keeps me coming back. These are today's versions of the Adventure dot, ripping a spine out of your opponent, driving over a gremlin and turning it into a gravestone or seeing the ending of Activision's Dolphin.

My two meseta.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

yeah i agree...there are VERY FEW games i buy for newer consoles...mostly rpg's and fighting games....gaming has changed alot....enuff to loose my interest in 90% of the newe consoles...with the exception of DC but you knew that :P
    Got it in you?
    www.anipike.com

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, but the coolest thing about the Dreamcast is that it's different from anything else before or after it. It allows you to have a whole video coin-op arcade in your house without the bulk of the cabinets.

Modern day gaming still produces tons of awesome stuff but what I don't like is the tendency towards "flavor of the month" cycles where.....let's say....Grand Theft Auto comes out, and for the next 6 months we're drowning in GTA clones from everyone, and that's all that you can find as far as new releases are concerned. If you don't like that kind of game, the pickings are slim until the Need For Speed Underground or Halo or Ghost Recon clones come along. Too much monkey see, monkey do.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jdc
    Modern day gaming still produces tons of awesome stuff but what I don't like is the tendency towards "flavor of the month" cycles ... Too much monkey see, monkey do.
    Oh that's nothing new at alll. In fact from the classic era to the modern that has been a true constant. Some knock-off games end up being good though, it's the disappointing knock-offs that are the worst. I think that knock-off's of Wolfenstien 3-D have gotten the most mileage though, first-person shooter is the genre that may never die.
    Cinnamon!

Yo Joe! Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    ladyjaye75
    PSN
    ladyjaye75

Indeed. See all the ripoffs of Space Invaders and, later on, Pac-Man...

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) rbudrick's Avatar
    Buying the rare ones, moments before you get there.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Default d

It is the surprises like those that keep me interested in modern games. I get pretty excited when I see things I wouldn't expect in videogames, that's kinda what got me hooked in the first place. It's why games like Grand Theft Auto are so appealing to me. Gratuitous violence, strippers, head shots, unexpected dance routines... it is the stuff that keeps me coming back. These are today's versions of the Adventure dot, ripping a spine out of your opponent, driving over a gremlin and turning it into a gravestone or seeing the ending of Activision's Dolphin.
    Joe, Dolphin has an ending? WTF? I figured it just turned the score to exclamation marks like River Raid or something. Do tell. Sorry for the thread highjack....ummm....strippers rock!

-Rob
    The moral is, don't **** with Uncle Tim when he's been drinking!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by digitalpress
    These are today's versions of the Adventure dot, ripping a spine out of your opponent, driving over a gremlin and turning it into a gravestone or seeing the ending of Activision's Dolphin.
    Wait... there's an ending to Dolphin?? Why have I never heard of this?

Yeah, I'm out of touch. Even more than I realized, apparently.
    o2william's Found & Lost

The Odyssey˛ Homepage! - Visit it for Sync-Sound Action!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Jaye
    Indeed. See all the ripoffs of Space Invaders and, later on, Pac-Man...
    I'll lnever forget the first time I played Alien. My friend was putting the cartridge in and I was actually scared anticipating the horrific game I was about to experience (the movie terrified me).

I was shocked, then disappointed, to find that the game was just... Pac Man.

I learned a big lesson in knock-off game design that day.

However, I fondly remember playing Lock n Chase in those days. You could say it's just a Pac Man knockoff but I remember it being a lot of fun.
    Cinnamon!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So I'm hanging out it my room, doing some law school stuff, and I hear that distinctive sound of people playing videogames. I go and take a look, and my two room-mates are playing a greatest hits version of Castlevania, Symphony of the Night. Of course, I had to jump in and throw down with my map-gazing skills from Metroid by pushing the Select Button. I knew where to go like they could never dream of.

Anyways, I couldn't believe I was "CONTROLLING" a half-blooded vampire. This is an outrage and a wake up call. I'm too old for this $@!@!. After that, the game got real dull, and turned into some platformer/exploration type fare. I don't know. I bailed. All I knew was they were killing Zombies for no reason.
    I am the reinforcements.

somewhere between the past and the future
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wasn't "I'm Outta Touch" a Hall & Oats song?

"I'm outta touch"
    "I'm outta touch"

And a bunch of other lyrics i dont know.

Possibility is infinity! You must be satisfied!

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces. -The Sizz

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

"I've got too much time on my hands, It's hard to believe such a calamity"
    Midwest

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DynastyLawyer
    So I'm hanging out it my room, doing some law school stuff, and I hear that distinctive sound of people playing videogames. I go and take a look, and my two room-mates are playing a greatest hits version of Castlevania, Symphony of the Night. Of course, I had to jump in and throw down with my map-gazing skills from Metroid by pushing the Select Button. I knew where to go like they could never dream of.

Anyways, I couldn't believe I was "CONTROLLING" a half-blooded vampire. This is an outrage and a wake up call. I'm too old for this $@!@!. After that, the game got real dull, and turned into some platformer/exploration type fare. I don't know. I bailed. All I knew was they were killing Zombies for no reason.
    good point, but i find there's very distinct line between fantasy and reality. assuming the role of a vampire killing fake monsters vs. assuming the role of a human being killing real people is a big difference to me. just like i find, say irreversible (movie) much much more offensive than any hentai i've ever seen, tho I don't really watch it and i'm some of you could point some out (but don't )

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hmm... I just picked up Dead To Rights for the Gamecube about a week ago. Perhaps I should start playing through that soon.

Collection List | Twitter
    Check out the new N64 Rumble Pak. See how it feels to feel what you see.