Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: I'm playing San Andreas in RGB. Are you?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Chemist
    Quote Originally Posted by Djfinny
    My old C64 13 inch monitor had RGB (3 connector) inputs (and BTW the games looked incredible, esp the colors)
    it's been a while since I saw my C=64 monitor, but weren't those three conectors chrominance, luminance, and audio? (In other words, S-video plus mono audio)?

Edited to fix quote. Oops.

there were many different commodore monitors, the 1084, 1084S, etc, with differnt imput modes, including digital rgb, analog rgb, svideo, and composite. for a crash course on all this crap and why you should care as a video game player, go to www.gamesx.com

Insert Coin (Level 0) Raven1280's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

No I'm not but im playing Vice City on a 36" Sony VEGA widescreen hdtv thourgh a great Component cable bought form the Electirc Quarter

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Still safe to post in this thread?

Quote Originally Posted by grayrobertos
    I have no idea what any of the RGB stuff means. Can some body post some pics of the differences between RGB and composite. I don't think any of our TVs here in the UK come with the RGB connectors. Can somebody with a bit of knowledge explain all this to me please.
    http://www.students.tut.fi/~tiainen2/rgb.html

*sneaks out*

"I never should the games I sold and I have replaced them but they are not the game just a hollow shell of the same game." -RugalSizzler

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Do you really need a god damn thread for every game/system in RGB/Projector Screen/other useless output?

I didn't think so... :/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tetsu
    for a crash course on all this crap and why you should care as a video game player, go to www.gamesx.com
    Their links to "primers" on the subject don't work...

my question still stands hehe

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by davidleeroth
    Still safe to post in this thread?

Quote Originally Posted by grayrobertos
    I have no idea what any of the RGB stuff means. Can some body post some pics of the differences between RGB and composite. I don't think any of our TVs here in the UK come with the RGB connectors. Can somebody with a bit of knowledge explain all this to me please.
    http://www.students.tut.fi/~tiainen2/rgb.html

*sneaks out*
    Maybe those screenshot comparisons are just uber crappy but it really doesnt look THAT much better to me.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TRM
    it really doesnt look THAT much better to me.
    Such is the nature of all things "hi-fi".

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm playing all my systems in RGB and it really does make things look a lot better. It's like hooking up your consoles to an arcade-quality screen...everything is much sharper. You don't realize how bad things look until you play them using composite and then switch over to RGB. Small text is very defined as are all the edges of graphics, etc. It's well worth the investment if you're a serious gamer. I bought a RGB-capable Sony PVM 2530. Even most computer monitors that have RGB inputs can't be used to display consoles because the hertz of the monitor can't go low enough. So I bought the monitor and the cables (a guy on these boards makes them) and plugged everything in and I wasn't that amazed. I wrote as much on these boards. Then I went back and plugged in through the regular composite cable (yellow of the yellow, white, red cables) to the same monitor and ugh! You don't realize how bad things look until you get the sharpness of RGB, and then there's no going back. The difference isn't subtle at all...it's very noticeable. Well worth it in my opinion. Try it with Ghouls 'n Ghosts on the Genesis. Awesome stuff. I'll have to say those screenshots above don't do it justice...I'll see if I can get pictures tonight.
    Click here for my game list, including pictures.
    Currently playing on my Xperia Play: Nectaris: Military Madness (PSX), Chrono Trigger (SNES)

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tetsu
    there were many different commodore monitors, the 1084, 1084S, etc, with differnt imput modes, including digital rgb, analog rgb, svideo, and composite.
    The 108x monitors were Amiga monitors. The poster I was responding to was talking about hooking up a C=64.
    --
    Just what is one supposed to DO with a thousand copies of "Bally Pin", anyway?

http://home.mindspring.com/~charleti...cadeindex.html

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The poster I was responding to was talking about hooking up a C=64.
    I'm trying to remember the connectors to the C64 monitor now. It's tough only becuase I don't have it anymore (it died just after college) we used it to hook up a VCR and watch movies on it (excellent picture BTW) I can say for sure that it was the "offical" Commodore 64 monitor as advertised. (got it for xmas after asking mom for a "REAL" c64 monitor. I'll need to research it a bit get the model #. I did think it was a 3 input. Maybe it was single video RCA and 2 sound (stereo) connectors?
    "Same time, same place, but wrong day" The Fixx from Shuttered Rooms 1982

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Djfinny
    I did think it was a 3 input. Maybe it was single video RCA and 2 sound (stereo) connectors?
    3 RCA jacks: Chrominance, Lumnance, and (mono) audio. I still have a couple of C=64s.

I also use an Amiga 1080 monitor hooked to a VCR in the spare room as a television. With all the moves I've made since I bought my first Amiga, I'm amazed it still works as well as it does.
    --

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Brian_Provinciano
    Looks like it's that time of the month again for Anthony1... RGB rant time, hahaha.

It's all good, I really should get RGB'd myself. As much as I love San Andreas, many of the blips are hard as HELL to see on a normal, non-HDTV/non-RGB. They definitely made it for top notch TVs.
    but true. Having each system modded to best possible output would be nice though.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

No.
    R.I.P. Michael "Nepenthean" Collins
    You will not be forgotten.

http://www.rfgeneration.com

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TRM
    Maybe those screenshot comparisons are just uber crappy but it really doesnt look THAT much better to me.
    According to the title of that page, they're also comparing COMPOSITE video with RGB. Any comparisons between S-Video and RGB? (I'm guessing there would be a lot less noticable difference, with somewhat poorer color performance). All modern consoles (and some classic consoles and computers) can pump out S-Video, and all but the cheapest modern TVs have the connectors for it.
    --

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I vote for new forum section, Anthony1's rgb/hdtv section. Just below the technical/restoration society.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Chronogamer
    PSN
    Mekrabad

Okay, let me give a little background.

In April I spent the most money on anything I've ever spent money on that wasn't a musical instrument. I bought a very nice Sony WEGA FD Trinitron XBR 34" Widescreen HDTV and I was happy. I'm still happy with it, honest, I just want to cry whenever I hear that it isn't the best goddamned way to play every freakin' games system known to man.

I was skeptical about its failings, until I hooked up my Playstaion and tried to play Final Fantasy IX, one of the pretty games. My eyes just started bleeding and they wouldn't stop for a WHOLE WEEK. The hugeness of the screen? I dunno, whatever happened to the frickin' graphics was just disturbing. Yes, the Xbox is a wet dream on it and so is the Gamecube, and so are a lot of games on the PS2, but the Playstation's prettiest game looked like crap.

So NOW, Thanks to Anthony1 and his constant state of AROUSAL for RGB, I HAVE TO HAVE A SONY PVM 2530. I know it's only going to set me back about a tenth of what the HDTV cost, but I'm going to have to explain to my wife why I just have to have it, and why it has to be in the living room next to the other one.

So, Anthony1, I need to know if all the great RGB capable Systems have to be modified to put out RGB or if they merely need a modified Cable. Does your contact Matthew still do this stuff? Since I won't be able to lift a 116 lbs Monitor for a few months (minor surgery) I'd better start getting ready for it. If there is a previous thread with this actual information, I'm sorry I'm not doing well finding it. You've won, I'm beaten and I'm filled with RGB lust.
    Chronogamer. Every game. Chronologically.
    Latest entry 31 March 2010
    I have forgotten to feed my fish...

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sylentwulf
    On the other hand, I'll be playing it on a 47" widescreen instead of a 25" tube, so I'll actually be able to SEE the characters on the screen! I'll also see the game as it was MEANT to be played. I'll also be writing this post in every RGB post from this day forward. Get. Over. It.

Only problem with this logic is that the vast majority of PS2 games aren't "true" 16:9, so a widescreen actually distorts the picture in a way.

Look, I'm the expert to the 10th degree on display devices. I will be playing San Andreas on a 113 inch 16:9 movie screen, on a 51 inch 16:9 Sony, on a 32 inch crystal clear 16:9 Princeton Graphics HDTV monitor, as well as two different freaking RGB monitors!

But the best picture that I'm ever going to see of San Andreas is going to be on either of the RGB monitors.

Now, for a game in 480p, like Jak 3, the best display will likely be the 113 inch movie screen.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by junglehunter
    Do you really need a god damn thread for every game/system in RGB/Projector Screen/other useless output?

I didn't think so... :/

Look, I know that I do way too many posts on RGB, but you know what? It's all about Love, baby. I mean, I really have a freaking passion for RGB. And the thing about it is that it is such a weird secret, people just don't know about RGB, and I hope I can influence a few gamers here to do their systems in RGB and be totally amazed by the results.

Ok, I ask this question.... Anybody here read one of my RGB posts, and then get the cables and the monitor and hook it up, and say "Damn, all those posts that Anthony1 did on RGB, man, he wasn't just blowing smoke, this is incredible."

Come on.... I know I have to have influenced at least one person.

I love RGB, and I"m sorry, but I'm getting a PS2 for the frst time since August 2001, and I'm excited to play San Andreas and Snake Eater and Jak 3 and stuff like that in RGB on it.

Actually Jak 3 I would play on my HDTV's in 480p, but all the non 480p games, definitely RGB all the way.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

No.

(You know someone was going to say it. )
    Mwerp.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ok, there have been tons of questions asked, and I would like to answer all of them by saying a few things.

1. If you are a gamer that appreciates the improvement in picture quality of S-Video over RF or even composite, then you most likely would be amazed by RGB. If you are a gamer that really doesn't notice much from RF to S-Video or Composite to S-Video, then maybe you will only be mildly impressed by RGB. That's pretty much the bottom line, You fall into either one or the other categories. If you fall into the S-Video category, then you will be blown away by RGB. No question about it. If you are in the Joe Sixpack, I don't really notice anything, my old 1980's TV is fine category, then you might be less impressed by it, but even those people notice a difference after a little bit.

2. If you have any of these systems, then you absolutely have to get RGB cables for them: Genesis, Super Nintendo, Sega CD, Sega 32X, Atari Jaguar, Sega Saturn, Neo Geo, Neo Geo CD, PS1, PS2

3. If you are a fan of the TG-16 or the PC Engine, then you absolutely must get a RGB monitor, and send your TG-16 to Matthew to be RGB modded. And it's even more incredible for TG-16 CD owners and Turbo Duo owners. Once you see Bonk's Adventure in RGB, you will be totally freaking amazed! You know the part when Bonk goes inside that big Dinosaur? Man, play that in RGB and hit the hippe lettuce. It will put you in a trance.

4. if you have a Nintendo 64, and you are a really, really big fan on the N64, then you should get it modded for RGB. If you are only kinda a fan of N64, then maybe don't. I would say of all the systems out there, the N64 was the least impressive in RGB. That machine just has too much damn fox, and the image just doesn't have alot of contrast to it. It's still the best picture you will ever see of the N64 (other than emulators), so if you are a huge N64 fan, you might as well see everything that you were missing.

5. Unfortunately, pre TG-16 systems don't do RGB.

6. If you have a Dreamcast, you can play it in RGB, but might as well play it in 480p with a VGA box.

7. If you have the XBOX, then you should play it on a HDTV.

8. If you have a GameCube, you might want to think about trying RGB for all the non progressive scan games, but the downside is that you have to spend quite a bit to do it.

Anyways, you need a RGB monitor, and you need Matthew's email. the_matthew@yahoo.ca

For RGB monitors, I highly recommend the Commodore 1084S if you can find one for about $50 or less.

It's very small, but a great low cost introduction to RGB. These monitors are great to take with you on trips, work great in hotels and stuff like that. Try camping with a RGB monitor!!! Just you, the stars, Super Ghouls and Ghosts on the SNES in RGB and a campfire!

Anyways, that's a good low cost option. If you can find one local, then that's the best route. I've seen them on Ebay. You should pay less than $50 with shipping and everything.

Then hit up Matthew. Start with your favorite system first. Like, TurboGrafx-16. or SNES. Or Jaguar or Sega 32x or Sega CD or Saturn or whatever. Pick your fav. system, get a cheapo RGB monitor, email matthew, have him hook you up with the cables, and then it's on like Donkey Kong.

Now, if you have more money to blow, and you want to take RGB to the limit, then you want to start spending some time on Ebay looking for a good Sony PVM 2530.

I would try to spend less than $200 with shipping. So be patient, and make sure the shipping won't totally kill you. Try to find one within driving distance. Make sure that it's a good monitor and that it doesn't have problems with it.

But if you get a good, solid, working Sony PVM 2530, then you will be in heaven once Matthew hooks you up with all the cables.