Thread: Why didn't we get Dreamcast FIGHTING VIPERS 2 in the states?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Why didn't we get Dreamcast FIGHTING VIPERS 2 in the states?

I'm wondering why Sega passed on releasing this the States yet put in out the UK.

I loved the first game... I played the crap out of it the the arcade. I like the Saturn version, and I love Fighters Megamix which has FV characters in it. I don't think the sequel made it to arcades (it was model 3 and expensive) but I figured we'd get a DC port. Was the original more popular in the UK?

The UK also got Who Wants To Be A Millionare? and Aqua GT, two games that seemed like naturals for the US market.

Let's not forget Shenmue II.

Did the Dreamcast do better in the UK than the states?

Please satsfy my curiosity.

Cheers

Kirby (Level 13) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I loved Fighting Vipers....but the only main reason I think 2 wasn't released here, could be due to sales in the US.

I still havent played the DC Import
    These cartridges are dirty as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore!

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: Why didn't we get Dreamcast FIGHTING VIPERS 2 in the sta

Quote Originally Posted by fishsandwich
    Let's not forget Shenmue II.
    Microsoft.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The UK also got Who Wants To Be A Millionare?
    It is "Who wants to beat up a millionare"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SMB
    It is "Who wants to beat up a millionare"
    Who wants to be a millionaire is different from Who wants to beat up a millionaire. They are two different games.

Thanks though

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm wondering why Sega passed on releasing this the States yet put in out the UK.

I loved the first game... I played the crap out of it the the arcade. I like the Saturn version, and I love Fighters Megamix which has FV characters in it. I don't think the sequel made it to arcades (it was model 3 and expensive) but I figured we'd get a DC port. Was the original more popular in the UK?
    Just speculation, but I don't think FV2 would have sold well here. FV for arcade and Saturn had a limited audience for sure. I've never seen a Fighting Vipers 2 cab in the States, although it's here. So you've got a game that won't sell well and couldn't hold a candle to the best fighters out there like Virtua Fighter and Soul Calibur. Plus, if it was going to be released here it would have been after the announcement that Sega was killing the Dreamcast. Again, this is speculation. I doubt i'm too far off the mark though. I like FV2 by the way, I have it for the Japanese DC. It's solid.

THE ONE, THE ONLY- RCM[/quote]

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I have JPN, and PAL white label promo and prefer JPN since you can use Pepsiman... don't think it's available in PAL release...

that remind me I still need to pick up Pepsiman for PS at decent price...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

no DC games sold well here except sports games and maybe sonic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Some DC games sold well here, but there really were no mega hits. In a NY Times article a couple months ago they said something to the effect that if a game sells 50,000 copies a publisher will break even. I am willing to bet that there quite a few DC games that sold over 50,000 - 100,000 units in the US. That figure will surely change once development cost rise significantly in the next generation. In the same article it's stated that If a game sells 500,000 it's considered a hit. I don't know how right the NY Times is, but it doesn't sound far off the mark. I wish I had a link to the article.

THE ONE, THE ONLY- RCM

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by chrisbid
    And Soul Calibur.

And Crazy Taxi.

And Virtua Fighter 4tb.

And Dead or Alive.

And a good number more. I'm not sitting near my collection right now, but while there were a number of games that didn't sell well, it didn't seem disproportionate to any other system. It seems that we all forgot that the Dreamcast didn't do so poorly for a while...

Personally, my guess is that Fighting Vipers 2 didn't come out stateside because... it sucks? I loved the first game even though it wasn't very deep -- in fact, that's why I loved it. You could pick up a controller and do awesome moves with people just by mashing buttons. At the same time, it was the timing of the mashing that made it all work. I played the hell out of it on the Saturn.

I picked up the second one in a trade with one of my friends who was living in Hong Kong. The second game doesn't have the same charm as the first game at all. I have played it probably two or three times total, and it is stuck somewhere between the complex moves of a Virtua Fighter and the simple moves of the first one. The graphics on the game also looked very dated -- if Sega wanted to push a game that made the Dreamcast look powerful, this wasn't it. Lastly, the game wasn't deep at all. Compared to Soul Calibur and Dead or Alive 2, you didn't have much of anything to do other than the competitions. At least, nothing worth doing.

That's all from memory though. I might have to pull it out and see what I think of it again in the near future
    Dan Loosen
    http://www.goatstore.com/ - http://www.midwestgamingclassic.com/
    ** Trying to finish up an overly complete Dreamcast collection... want to help? (Updated 5/3/10!) http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61333

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The only reason WWtbaM wasn't realed in the US is Sony had the US console rights here and publshed two PS1 games in the series (called 2nd & 3rd edition, oddly enough). It's questionable if the game would have sold anyway, since game shows/board games/generic puzzle games (ie tetris) tend to only do well when the system is very mainstream, which never happened. You'll notice titles like Jeopardy and Wheel of Fortune didn't show up on the PS2 until three years after the system launched, and even then had a hard time moving.

-Mike

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by goatdan
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisbid
    And Soul Calibur.

And Crazy Taxi.

And Virtua Fighter 4tb.

And Dead or Alive.

And a good number more. I'm not sitting near my collection right now, but while there were a number of games that didn't sell well, it didn't seem disproportionate to any other system. It seems that we all forgot that the Dreamcast didn't do so poorly for a while...

Personally, my guess is that Fighting Vipers 2 didn't come out stateside because... it sucks? I loved the first game even though it wasn't very deep -- in fact, that's why I loved it. You could pick up a controller and do awesome moves with people just by mashing buttons. At the same time, it was the timing of the mashing that made it all work. I played the hell out of it on the Saturn.

I picked up the second one in a trade with one of my friends who was living in Hong Kong. The second game doesn't have the same charm as the first game at all. I have played it probably two or three times total, and it is stuck somewhere between the complex moves of a Virtua Fighter and the simple moves of the first one. The graphics on the game also looked very dated -- if Sega wanted to push a game that made the Dreamcast look powerful, this wasn't it. Lastly, the game wasn't deep at all. Compared to Soul Calibur and Dead or Alive 2, you didn't have much of anything to do other than the competitions. At least, nothing worth doing.

That's all from memory though. I might have to pull it out and see what I think of it again in the near future
    I played it again today... had a lot of fun with it. You're right that it looks a bit dated... nothing like DOA2 or SC. I meant to say that the arcade game HAD come out, but only in Japan and I understand it did poorly. That's odd to me, but the series was always a side-story to VF anyway IMHO. I just thought that since the Saturn release was so high-profile for a Saturn game (It was part of that Christmas campaign that includeed Virtua Cop 2, Bug 2, and some sports game) that the sequel would have been released.

I like knocking off your oppenent's clothes and then knocking them out of the playing field with a big crash. They go 100+ yards everytime.

Cheers

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I played it again today... had a lot of fun with it. You're right that it looks a bit dated... nothing like DOA2 or SC. I meant to say that the arcade game HAD come out, but only in Japan and I understand it did poorly. That's odd to me, but the series was always a side-story to VF anyway IMHO.
    FV2 was created for a Model 3 board variation. The DC is far more powerful than the Model 3 and its upgrades. SC and DOA2 were built for the DC.

I never got that FV was a side story to VF. Could you explain the connection? I understand they were created by the same developer but I see no relation in story.

THE ONE, THE ONLY- RCM