Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rare and/or unreleased games for Sega CD

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Rare and/or unreleased games for Sega CD

Couple of questions:

1) Are there any other PAL Mega Cd's that did not receive a US release besides
    a)Cannon Fodder
    b)Sensible Soccer
    b)Syndicate
    b)Theme Park

2) What are the unreleased Sega CD games that are rumored to be floating around either in prototype or iso format for either US or European Sega CD

3) Has anyone made a translation for Shadowrun Japanese Mega CD yet?

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

these guys have released a few sega CD games

http://www.gooddealgames.com/inventory/scd.html
    NEW ENGLAND CLASSIC GAMING-NEXT TRADEMEET pretty soon... IN BOSTON

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Re: Rare and/or unreleased games for Sega CD

Quote Originally Posted by motley6
    3) Has anyone made a translation for Shadowrun Japanese Mega CD yet?
    There don't seem to be many complete translations at all for CD-based systems. It's understandable, as trying to pick out a script from 650+ MB of data can't be easy, especially if there's no standard way to store or reference the data (as there tends to be with carts).
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Ladd Spencer (Level 17)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Scooterb23

Penn & Teller's Smoke & Mirrors.

I believe it was finished, I know I personally played a demo (or podssibly a level on the real game) at EB a long time ago. I read the review in GamePro. I got a CDX wanting this game, only to find out it never got released

Maybe someday...
    gamesandgrub.blogspot.com - My blog about boardgames, and sometimes food.
    roomwithaviewmaster.tumblr.com - My blog about Viewmaster collecting

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sega CD didnt really get any good games. Most of the games probbobly are rare and unreleased.

I did see the Lunar games and Shining Force CD. Those games cost around $100 alone. I am looking for some that are cheap. Half.com has them, but Im not in the mood to spend that much money on games I already have, but I will soon end up buying them because they will be needed in order to complete the... uh... complete collection of Sega CD games.
    Jason Egitto is cheese...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i dont wanna thread jack, but was monkey island a USA only release? i need to know this badly!

RetroCollect - PAL Rarity Guides, News, Reviews, Community & Forum
    View my Retro Game Collection: Click here
    My Trade List: Click here
    My Want List: Click here

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

AFAIK Cannon Fodder did NOT get released on CD, only on cart. If it did no-one has ever seen or heard of one, and it can go in the rarity list at #1 above Fatal Fury Special.

Caut - Yes, Monkey Island only ever made it as far as the US. It was meant to be released in PAL, I remember the review in MegaDrive Advanced Gaming magazine - it got over 90% and I waited forever for it to appear.
    Putting together a PAL Mega-CD site at http://www.sega-mega-cd-library.co.uk

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have never seen Cannon Fodder on Mega CD either but it is listed as being an exclusive European release in the Sega CD Faq.

Maybe a protoype or iso of the prototype is around the internet for the Penn and Teller game. I will do some searching.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Looks like the US didn't get "The Smurfs" either. No great loss.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It is if you lust after the girl Smurf........or Papa Smurf.........if that's your thing.......

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jasonegitto
    Sega CD didnt really get any good games. Most of the games probbobly are rare and unreleased.

I did see the Lunar games and Shining Force CD. Those games cost around $100 alone. I am looking for some that are cheap. Half.com has them, but Im not in the mood to spend that much money on games I already have, but I will soon end up buying them because they will be needed in order to complete the... uh... complete collection of Sega CD games.
    Blasphemy! The Sega Cd does have a lot of crap games, but the Lunar games and Shinig Force certainly aren't the only good ones.

Do a search on this site and you'll find some enthusiastic praise for at least 20 Sega Cd games.

Cheers

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It is if you lust after the girl Smurf........or Papa Smurf.........if that's your thing.......
    I actually have a spare copy if anyone here cares to admit to that...

And yes, the Mega-CD got several good games, it's a pity all it's remembered for is a slew of FMV "interactive movies" and crap cart conversions.

Edit: The DP online guide has "Sensible Soccer" down as released under "Championship Soccer 94" in the U.S.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by pr8cjb
    Caut - Yes, Monkey Island only ever made it as far as the US. It was meant to be released in PAL, I remember the review in MegaDrive Advanced Gaming magazine - it got over 90% and I waited forever for it to appear.

my fav computer based game never made it to the uk on consoles
    ah well ill track down the usa one!

RetroCollect - PAL Rarity Guides, News, Reviews, Community & Forum
    View my Retro Game Collection: Click here
    My Trade List: Click here
    My Want List: Click here

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I did some more searching and this is a list of games that were supposed to come out but didn't. Anybody seen any prototypes?

Battle Frenzy (Core) (WAS released as "Battlecorps")
    Braindead 13 (Readysoft)
    Citizen X (Digital Pictures)
    Clue
    Crime Patrol 2: Drug Wars (American Laser Games)
    Dai Bing
    Dark Seed (Vic Tokai)
    Dragon's Lair 2 (Readysoft)
    Exterminators (Sony Imagesoft)
    Flying Nightmares (Domark)
    Myst (Broderbund)
    No Escape (Sony Imagesoft)
    Penn & Teller's Smoke and Mirrors (Accolade)
    Power Drift
    Prince VVCR (Sega) ("Prince", as in "SymbolMan")
    Side Pocket (Data East)
    Space Pirates (American Laser Games)
    Young Indiana Jones (Sega)

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default ..

Battle Frenzy is not the same as Battlecorps. It is another name for Bloodshot. It was released in PAL under both names (Bloodshot in the UK and Battle Frenzy in Germany. Not sure exactly what the other European countries got it as ...)

It was also released in NTSC by Good Deal Games in late 2003, I think, along with Marko's Magic Football (which was also not originally released in NTSC). It's not too bad of a game actually.

Vroomfunkel

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah the Battle Frenzy thing was in the Sega FAQ and I cut and pasted it. outdated information. I have seen the Good Deal Games releases and it seems that they were all releases of games that were supposed to have come outbut didn't. I wonder if they have gained the rights to any of those other prototypes.

Ladd Spencer (Level 17) Sniderman's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Maybe a protoype or iso of the prototype is around the internet for the Penn and Teller game. I will do some searching.
    You'll be wasting your time. Scooter is right, Penn & Teller *was* finished. A working, finished, ready-to-play copy has been displayed at CGE (amongst other venues) several times. I even have photos/video of it running. So why isn't it released?

1. Since it's a licensed product, you'd need permission from both P&T and the game's original programmers/company of release. The guys who have the proto have been working on securing permission for years, going so far as to actually meeting several of those involved, including P&T.

2. The game is programmed so that the instructions/paperwork is VITAL to play. Since those have been lost to the ages, it has yet been cracked as to how to progress further into the game than just a few screems. Imagine playing a game, when it suddenyl asks you "Pick a number between 1 and 1 million." And if you guess wrong, the game is over and you have to start from the beginning. Yeah, it's kinda like that - frustration-wise. They've been trying to track down ANY documentation that still exists, as well as having code-crackers and playtesters try to figure out" what's needed to play further into the game. No luck as of yet.

3. The ROM has not been dumped. No way. No how. And I don't believe it's gonna be at this time. We sometimes thumb our noses as to "the real copyright holders." But do *YOU* want to be the one to turn up as a blip on P&T's radar? Nooooooooo.
    Still Around...Still Gamin'...

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

Ripped from the beta area of our database... Does this help?

Rumor Mill
    Braindead 13 (by ReadySoft, for Sega CD). Shown in various ReadySoft press materials and even included as a trailer in some of their games. Released on several other systems.
    Clue (by Parker Bros, for Sega CD). Developed by Sculptured Software. Announced for Sega CD but only released in cartridge form for Genesis. Also released on CD-i and SNES.
    Dai Bing (by DigitalPictures, for Sega CD). This game actually became Digital Pictures' Supreme Warrior, which was released.
    Darkseed (by Cyberdreams, for Sega CD). Announced but released only on CD32. A graphical adventure inspired by the art work of H.R. Giger.
    Dragon's Lair II: Time Warp (by ReadySoft, for Sega CD). Based on the 1991 Leland coin-op. The fast-paced laserdisc classic's sequel was nowhere to be found on Sega CD. If you must play it, you can find it on the CD-I.
    Drug Wars (by Amer Lasergames, for Sega CD). Announced for Sega CD but unreleased, you can find it on 3DO and CD-I.
    Flying Nightmares (by Domark, for Sega CD). This PC game was announced for Sega CD but never released. The original was designed by Jonathan Newth, David Payne and Chris Tubbs (Simis), a fairly complex sim which requires takeoff and landing tactics, not for the arcade combat sect. You can also find the game on 3DO.
    Myst (by Broderbund, for Sega CD). Original game designed by Rand Miller and Robyn Miller. Appeared on just about any system that could play CD-ROMs in the 1990's. Released on just about every platform ever conceived, but surprisingly didn’t quite make it to Sega CD.
    No Escape (by Sony, for Sega CD). Developed by Psygnosis/Bits. Announced for Sega CD but released only in cartridge form on the Genesis and SNES.
    Power Drift (by Sega, for Sega CD). Based on the 1988 Sega coin-op. The home version of this arcade game was announced for Sega CD and finally released on Saturn in Japan.
    Prince VVCR (by Sega, for Sega CD). Appears on a number of "partially developed" lists like the Sega CD FAQ you can find on the DP site, but very little else is known about this one.
    Side Pocket (by Data East, for Sega CD). Based on the 1986 Data East coin-op. Announced for Sega CD but released only in cartridge form on NES and SNES (as well as several handhelds).
    Space Pirates (by Amer Lasergames, for Sega CD). Based on the 1992 American Laser Games coin-op. Several American Laserdisc games were announced but scrapped on the Sega CD platform. You can find this one on 3DO.
    Young Indiana Jones: Instruments of Chaos (by LucasArts, for Sega CD). Announced for Sega CD but only released in cartridge form on the Genesis.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: ..

Quote Originally Posted by Vroomfunkel
    Battle Frenzy is not the same as Battlecorps. It is another name for Bloodshot. It was released in PAL under both names (Bloodshot in the UK and Battle Frenzy in Germany. Not sure exactly what the other European countries got it as ...)
    They're identical on the discs, really, it's only the artwork that's different. Boot a "Bloodshot", pick German as your language and you get a "Battle Frenzy" title screen. Boot Battle Frenzy and choose English you get "Bloodshot". I never checked what the other languages do though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I found this site with some more information on Sega Cd protos and unreleased. The scan of the cover of Darkseed is really interesting because it suggests that some were actually produced.

http://www.segacd.org/expression/sit...gaCDGames.html