Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Rare and/or unreleased games for Sega CD

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

To my knowledge it was never officially released. It did get reviewed and I have seen a couple of pictures of the original box. I think that a few original copies got out. Anyway I saw the ISO as well as Penn and Teller the other day on emule.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hi Guys,

I've been reading...

I pesonally have NTSC playable betas of Battle Tech: Grey Death Legion and Time Cop. So, they certainly exist, and I'm surprised that they never appeared earlier in this thread.

Concerning Penn & Teller: Smoke adn Mirrors: When Zach found the game years ago, one of the discs (it was a two cd-rom game) was damaged and was not working. We were able to carefully retract the data and make a new build, so both discs of the game would play.

Michael
    http://www.GoodDealGames.com
    Classic Gaming Interviews, Articles, News, Puzzles, Humor, Online Arcade, Game Publishing, Sales, WGDG Game Radio, Collectors List, Links, Chat, Release Lists, Fan Fiction, Token Museum & more... much more.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've never heard about Battle Tech: Grey Death Legion. Give us some details. Also is your Time Cop beta the one level demo that has been floating around or is it the whole game?

Insert Coin (Level 0) Fantastic_Duck's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jasonegitto View Post
    Sega CD didnt really get any good games. Most of the games probbobly are rare and unreleased.....
    YOUR POST AM FAIL
    *giggle*

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, it's been about a year. Any news on the unreleased Sega CD front?

ServBot (Level 11) Iron Draggon's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Mitchell View Post
    Anybody who said the Sega CD had no good games never played Snatcher or Popful Mail.

Now, I could swear that Darkseed was actually released on Sega CD--I seem to remember seeing it in a store in Bellevue Washington and thinking I should buy it before it went out of print, but I chose to get a Saturn game instead because I was more interested in getting software for my new system.

Am I confused? Does anyone else remember this?
    You probably saw a teaser box. Towards the end of the Sega CD's lifespan, right before the much anticipated release of the Saturn, a large selection of unreleased Sega CD games appeared on the shelves of one of my local EB's. Or at least their preorder boxes did. That happened with pretty much every unreleased Sega CD game, so that's why we have the artwork for most of them. They were apparently placed to test interest, but there wasn't enough interest in anything on Sega CD anymore with the Saturn already out in Japan! And so the Sega CD went out the same way that it arrived. As one big TEASE of what could've been, if they had focused on ORIGINAL content and NOT FMV original content, instead of on BAD FMV and barely enhanced versions of games previously released on Genesis or other systems. We did get a few gems and miracles though, like the English version of Snatcher!
    You can't run with the big dogs if you pee like a puppy!

Get BIT!

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Draggon View Post
    You probably saw a teaser box. Towards the end of the Sega CD's lifespan, right before the much anticipated release of the Saturn, a large selection of unreleased Sega CD games appeared on the shelves of one of my local EB's. Or at least their preorder boxes did. That happened with pretty much every unreleased Sega CD game, so that's why we have the artwork for most of them. They were apparently placed to test interest, but there wasn't enough interest in anything on Sega CD anymore with the Saturn already out in Japan! And so the Sega CD went out the same way that it arrived. As one big TEASE of what could've been, if they had focused on ORIGINAL content and NOT FMV original content, instead of on BAD FMV and barely enhanced versions of games previously released on Genesis or other systems. We did get a few gems and miracles though, like the English version of Snatcher!
    Exactly. I was extremely excited when the Sega CD came out because I had already spent a lot of time playing my friend's Turbo CD, which had stuff like Y's I and II, Y's III, Valis III and a couple of other games which were well-made (I still think Y's Book I and II is my favorite game of all time) and showed the clear benefit of the CD format--games with length and depth in addition to red book audio. But for God's sake, Sega hardly even through me a bone with this stuff. But we did get a few gems, like you say.

As for the CD ports of cart games, I actually think the Sega CD version of the first Ecco the Dolphin is definitive, and a must-own for fans of the machine. It's much better than the cart version, mostly because of the sound. The improved music and realistic splash noises (replacing the shitty white noise of the cart version) add that final touch that makes it a masterpiece instead of a good attempt limited by crap hardware.

Insert Coin (Level 0) eday_2010's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

We started making a list of unreleased Genesis and Sega CD games at the Sega16bit Forums (http://forum.sega16bit.com/index.php?topic=131.0). I've stuck oodles of scans from magazines in that thread talking about games that never did make it out.