View Poll Results: Do you get "dirty disc" or "cannot read" errors when you use your Xbox?

Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • Sometimes

16 44.44%
  • All the time

7 19.44%
  • Yes, but a cleaning kit solved my problem.

1 2.78%
  • Never. Your Xbox is ready for the trash heap... Sucker!

12 33.33%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Xbox "damaged, dirty disc" errors?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Xbox "damaged, dirty disc" errors?

I want to know how many Xbox owners out there have trouble with the "Your disc is dirty or damaged" error.

It's happened ever since I got my system (2 years ago) on rare occasions. Sometimes the games would freeze and that damned message would pop up and I'd have to restart the game. I figured this was probably a rare glitch and it was not a reason to worry, but it's starting to piss me off lately.

I seems to happen fairly randomly, although in some games it happens consistently. Like in DOA3, it happens most often, and regularly, just before an ending scene loads after beating the game. In Metal Gear Solid Sons of Liberty, it's totally random. Halo, as I understand, is a DVD-based game and it has always worked flawlessly on my system.

The weird thing is that I take meticulous care of my games. I don't leave them in the disc tray. I don't leave them laying around on the carpet or laying on the TV. They're not scratched at all. I always carefully place them back in the box after playing a game. Fable is a brand new game for me, and I started getting these errors on the first night I played it. I've experienced it once or twice with Splinter Cell and never on most of my other games. Sometimes a game will freeze with no error.

I called 1-800-4my-Xbox, and did not get any explanation of what could be wrong (although I already knew it was either a dirty lens or a bad DVD drive, I was basically hoping they could recommend a cleaning kit to me) and was just told that Microsoft could fix this for $80, which seems very expensive, especially since I don't know what they intend to do for that $80. If they just clean the lens, I'm not spending that kind of money. I feel that it doesn't happen often enough for me to justify spending $80 to fix it. The way I describe this, you'd think it happens all the time, but really it is only once in a while. Some days I can play for hours without any problems. I'm not even sure that fixing it will totally eliminate the errors. If I spend that money, I want my Xbox to work perfectly.

I wanted to know what you all think of this problem and if you're experiencing it with your own Xbox. Is this just a hazard of being an Xbox owner, or is there something seriously wrong with my system? Do you think I just need to get a console cleaning disc, or do I need to actually replace the DVD drive? Has anyone had good luck with a cleaning kit? I would love to hear your recommendations.
    THE ODYSSEY
    http://www.odysseyzine.com
    For those who turn up the stereo when they turn on their games

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yes. After about 60 hours of gameplay on the system, I frequently got that error while playing Crimson Skies. I've seen it happen to dozens of factory refurbished (right out of the box) and used XBoxes at the store I work at (mind you I've only been there about 1.5months).

The problem is still rampant, Microsoft is still producing units with the crappy Thompson drives though they know the product is defective.

Solution? Shmooze the clerks at your local game store and see if they will let you swap out the unit if you buy an extended warranty. Worked for me, and I walked out the door with only $25 less, and a new XBox with a Samsung drive.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, I used to get those errors. My Xbox had a Thompson drive that went south after a couple hundred hours of play time. So I bought a replacement Thompson drive from another forum member whose Xbox had (IIRC) a fried motherboard. Over 100 hours later the replacement has worked without any problems; I've got my fingers crossed.

As a side note, the problems did not crop up equally with all of my games. The original drive was never able to read Serious Sam with any reliability. It usually worked properly with Bloodrayne, and it almost always was able to read Steel Battalion. Interestingly, it was more likely to give me an error after the unit had been on for a couple of hours.

I went with a replacement drive because I was able to get it for $30 and because the installation is relatively easy (harder than cleaning lint out of the shoulder buttons of your GBA SP, but easier than an Afterburner install--no soldering required). There's a web site that has step-by-step instructions and pictures showing how to do it, too. I posted it in another thread, but I don't recall it off the top of my head.
    (\ /)
    (O.o) ---XBL GT: RHINDLE
    (><)
    /_|_\ ---PH34R TEH BUNNY

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

I've personally not had it happen once. My launch Xbox was perfect until I swapped it for a Samsung drive-equipped model. And this one is perfect too.

Sisko has a great idea there. Just don't be too obnoxious, and don't hang about too much. There's a line between a 'cool' customer and an annoying patron.

The only downside to that is save transferring. Some games (Ninja Gaiden and Burnout 3 I absolutely know of :P) will not transfer to another Xbox via memory card. If you're not hard up for the cash, I'd drop the the $$ intended on repairs, plus some extra $$ on a new unit and hang onto the old one. Then you'd have an instant LAN.
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Oobgarm
    Sisko has a great idea there. Just don't be too obnoxious, and don't hang about too much. There's a line between a 'cool' customer and an annoying patron.
    Yes. I also should mention that I have been going to that particular store every other week or so for about a year, and would ALWAYS make a point to but something when I was there, no matter how small, just to help build a solid rapport with the staff.

Take care of them, and they will take care of you.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

How do you identify your xbox as having a Thompson or Samsung drive?

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

Quote Originally Posted by evilmess
    How do you identify your xbox as having a Thompson or Samsung drive?
    http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.p...pic=17216&st=0

With helpful photos!
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thank you!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have a Thompson drive, so it looks like that might be the problem. Has anyone tried cleaning the drive with a system cleaner disc? Just wondering if that's a hopeless case or not.

Sisko, did you buy the Xbox at the game store you are talking about, or did they just take an Xbox that was purchased somewhere else? I would maybe consider trying that, but I'd like to hang on to my game saves (especially Ninja Gaiden since that game has given me enough aggravation, albeit the good kind).

If I wanted to keep my current Xbox, and swap in a Samsung drive, can I do that, or do you have to stick with Thompson if you're currently using a Thompson drive?
    THE ODYSSEY

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Swapping the disk drive shouldn't be a problem ...

I've got a V1.0 Xbox (with modchip) with a Thompson drive, and the only time I got a DRE was when I tried to install Evox from a CD-RW. All my (original) games work flawlessly.
    Wii: 8285 8147 1575 6278

RACES MINI MOTORCYCLES Videogamerdaryll's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    TSMMR 47
    PSN
    Player 47

Do you get "dirty disc" or "cannot read" errors when you use your Xbox?

Sometimes..

I only get "cannot read" errors on my newer Xbox if I'm trying to play a fairly trashed/scratched disc.
    Opening the drawer moving the disc a bit ...90% of the time works and It'll never crash or freeze.
    Otherwise if I give the disc a good cleaning it works.

My older Xbox..(the one I mainly use)..Would freeze up on certain games after a very long period of gameplay.
    Two come to mind "
    Serious Sam
    Pirates Of The Caribbean

Pirates Of The Caribbean I would play for extended amounts of time then it would freeze creating a screeching sound throughout the speakers and the TV would go a dark green..EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
    I have never tried the game on the newer Xbox since I just lost the desire to play it anymore.
    However when I was playing Pirates in the older Xbox I put a small computer type fan blowing into the side of the xbox to give it additional cooling

That seemed to remedy the problem..The Xbox looked to be overheating..but only with these two games mainly.

I always thought it was the disc....I bought both of those games used cheap...Pirates is flawless/no scratches but it just seems to run crappy..slow.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: Xbox "damaged, dirty disc" errors?

Quote Originally Posted by odysseyzine
    The weird thing is that I take meticulous care of my games. I don't leave them in the disc tray.
    How does leaving your games in a console's disc tray hinder performance?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't think it does affect performance, It just means I'm anal about keeping track of my games & keeping them in nice shape.
    THE ODYSSEY

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Has anyone tried cleaning the drive with a system cleaner disc? Just wondering if that's a hopeless case or not.
    Yeah, I tried cleaning the thing before looking into replacement. Cleaning had no discernible effect.

If I wanted to keep my current Xbox, and swap in a Samsung drive, can I do that, or do you have to stick with Thompson if you're currently using a Thompson drive?
    I think I've heard of people swapping in a different type of drive, but you'll want to talk to somebody who actually knows.
    (\ /)
    (O.o) ---XBL GT: RHINDLE
    (><)
    /_|_\ ---PH34R TEH BUNNY

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ughhh, I have a Thompson thats been giving me shit for quite awhile now. Damn first release crap.:/

I'd say for the last year I have been getting DDE's with it only getting worse within the last 2 months. It now happens so frequently that I have come to expect it, certain games are worse than others when it comes to how constant I get them. I dont know whether to buy a new Xbox or just to dump the DVD-Drive....

Yes, You can use a Samsung. Expect to pay more than half the price of a new Xbox for it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Re: Xbox "damaged, dirty disc" errors?

I used to get DDEs in Morrowind...and they're not really DDEs, they're out of memory/memory corruption errors.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I don't think it does affect performance, It just means I'm anal about keeping track of my games & keeping them in nice shape.
    The extra handling as you put them in and take them out will doubtlessly put some wear on them; unless you're hauling the XBox around or somebody careless uses your system and swaps your games out carelessly, I'd just leave them in.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Oscuro
    The extra handling as you put them in and take them out will doubtlessly put some wear on them; unless you're hauling the XBox around or somebody careless uses your system and swaps your games out carelessly, I'd just leave them in.
    That's what I figured.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    tholly1983
    PSN
    tholly

I have a regular black box with a Thompson Drive in it = Piece of Shit
    Mountain Dew Green box with a Samsung Drive = Perfect
    Halo Green box with a Phillips Drive = Perfect
    Collection Pics--RFGen List--Excel Collection Spreadsheet
    Wii: 6005 4631 6751 2174 -- PS3: tholly -- X360: tholly1983

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

For some reason, I misread the title as "damn dirty apes" errors. I need some sleep.