Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default EA Signs Five-Year Exclusivity Deal with NFL

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Holy fuck. I can't believe it. Sega might as well cancel their NFL title. Wow, I remember this was a rumor a while back. Holy fuck.

THE ONE, THE ONLY- RCM

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I just read that myself. Good god, this is the apocalypse. Before the "so what, sports games suck" crowd starts drooling on themselves in this thread, realize that sports games more or less keep this industry afloat. With no competition for NFL games, EA could churn out whatever crap they want. And everyone here ought to remember what can happen when consumers are disenfranchised by the quality of their games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    tholly1983
    PSN
    tholly

Quote Originally Posted by TheRedEye
    I just read that myself. Good god, this is the apocalypse. Before the "so what, sports games suck" crowd starts drooling on themselves in this thread, realize that sports games more or less keep this industry afloat. With no competition for NFL games, EA could churn out whatever crap they want. And everyone here ought to remember what can happen when consumers are disenfranchised by the quality of their games.

so what, sports games suck
    Collection Pics--RFGen List--Excel Collection Spreadsheet
    Wii: 6005 4631 6751 2174 -- PS3: tholly -- X360: tholly1983

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by tholly

so what, sports games suck
    post + custom title = lol

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sega can't get a break these days, can they?

Good god indeed. I remember when EA signed a exclusivity deal with NASCAR a couple years back. x_x

With how they've treated their employees and now this I'm starting to change my mind on what I thought of EA.

First NASCAR, and now the NFL. I'd be very surprised if this was the last we heard of exclusity deals.

Collection List | Twitter
    Check out the new N64 Rumble Pak. See how it feels to feel what you see.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Let's see how long it takes until Sega announces their sports titles will remain at $20 ...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I wish. I don't really care much if all the US game developers collapsed, so long as games were still translated. The only US games I semi-care about are GTA and the LoK series.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i say we do a boycott of EA. it shouldve be too hard, they mostly make sport games and movie licensees.

tell youre friends. untill EA changes their ways or is out of business, im not buying anymore. theyre worse than microsoft in its heyday.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DigitalSpace
    First NASCAR, and now the NFL. I'd be very surprised if this was the last we heard of exclusity deals.
    Me, too. I would expect an NBA deal at some point, if only because that's all Sega Sports has left (although that wouldn't be enough to carry them, anyway).

Make a better game than EA, and they outsell you. Make a better AND cheaper game than EA, and they destroy you.

-- Z.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Promophile
    I wish. I don't really care much if all the US game developers collapsed, so long as games were still translated. The only US games I semi-care about are GTA and the LoK series.
    Yeah, because variety and competition are awful things.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Flack
    Let's see how long it takes until Sega announces their sports titles will remain at $20 ...
    It's a moot point. Without the NFL license, Sega won't be able to give its football game away.

-- Z.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If I were Sega I would look into the exclusive rights to the MLB, NBA, and NHL. They have a lot more cash now with Sammy. I wouldn't be surprised if EA was looking into the same thing. The NFL license would remain their bread and butter though.

I would think that the NFL deal was worth at least a billion. I wonder if EA really will be able to make that back. Madden sells 2-3 million copies per year. Not all of that money goes to EA either. EA did good for themselves today. What's most shocking to me is that nobody did this deal sooner.

THE ONE, THE ONLY- RCM

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RCM
    If I were Sega I would look into the exclusive rights to the MLB, NBA, and NHL. They have a lot more cash now with Sammy. I wouldn't be surprised if EA was looking into the same thing. The NFL license would remain their bread and butter though.

I would think that the NFL deal was worth at least a billion. I wonder if EA really will be able to make that back. Madden sells 2-3 million copies per year. Not all of that money goes to EA either. EA did good for themselves today. What's most shocking to me is that nobody did this deal sooner.

THE ONE, THE ONLY- RCM
    I assume the deal wasn't made sooner because EA wasn't offering enough money to the NFL--until Sega's successful $20 gambit spooked EA into giving the NFL whatever it took to secure the deal.

The NHL license wouldn't matter for Sega. Shit, the league itself doesn't matter to most of North America. No one seems to much care about the league lockout. Baseball and basketball would matter, though.

-- Z.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

tell youre friends. untill EA changes their ways or is out of business, im not buying anymore. theyre worse than microsoft in its heyday.
    Like EA or not they are a business. I would rather have developers I like change their ways and sell the games I love the way EA does. EA could shit on a disc and it would sell.

Flack wrote:

It's a moot point. Without the NFL license, Sega won't be able to give its football game away.

-- Z.
    Totally agreed. Sega's NFL games are done. If EA picks up the rights to the NBA, MLB, and NHL Sega might as well sell visual concepts off.

THE ONE, THE ONLY- RCM

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Promophile
    Yeah, because variety and competition are awful things.
    Eh I don't see the variety in spitting out one sloppily put together movie license game and/or sports title after another. US developers do put out a few gems, but also alot of bland action adventure shovelware. With the rise of Vivendi and EA and the other mega-giants, the shovelware just keeps inceasing in numbers.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I assume the deal wasn't made sooner because EA wasn't offering enough money to the NFL--until Sega's successful $20 gambit spooked EA into giving the NFL whatever it took to secure the deal.

The NHL license wouldn't matter for Sega. Shit, the league itself doesn't matter to most of North America. No one seems to much care about the league lockout. Baseball and basketball would matter, though.

-- Z.
    EA must have spent billions. The last Stanley Cup games averaged 1.5 million viewers in the states. "Chappelles Show" on comedy central gets more viewers. I would still pick up the NHL rights. It can't be that much, I think I have enough in my pocket it to do it!

THE ONE, THE ONLY- RCM

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This is such bullshit. I am soooo pissed off right now. I will never buy another EA game as long as I live.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

US developers do put out a few gems
    Same with Japanese developers. Japanese developers release a lot of shite as well.

THE ONE, THE ONLY- RCM

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RCM

-- Z.
    EA must have spent billions. The last Stanley Cup games averaged 1.5 million viewers in the states. "Chappelles Show" on comedy central gets more viewers. I would still pick up the NHL rights. It can't be that much, I think I have enough in my pocket it to do it!

THE ONE, THE ONLY- RCM
    Heh! You probably do, man.

Yeah, I'd LOOOOOVE to know the terms of the deal. $200 million a year for the next five years isn't that unreasonable a guess.

-- Z.